Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaci is OBSESSED with her football(s), like really, really, really, really, really a lot. I think it's reached an unhealthy level, she'll sit there and stare at it for HOURS waiting for you to throw it.

Can it be bad if she's THAT obsessed with something? I was thinking about hiding her footballs for a week or so and see if that helps at all.

OBSESSED!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Don't know about the football but we do that with the laser pointer. We show Odin where the dot comes from we show him when we put it up and take it out. So he doesn't go MAD like a lot of dogs I've heard of.

I think taking it away for a while might be good!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, you're right. I just put it away, but showed her where I put it away and she doesn't seem as crazy obsessed on finding it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dylan's folks lab is obsessed unhealthy with her kong.  It got stuck in a tree one night and she sat for two hours staring at the tree.  Finally they had to go out there leash her up and bring her inside!  And then she just stared at the door.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel was that way about the laser as well, so we don't play with it anymore....Putting up her football for a bit may not be a bad idea actually..generally once it's been put away, they tend to forget about it after a bit  :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
If she loves her football that much, I would suggest using that obsession for training sessions. Use it only during training sessions (along with other special treats) & at the end of each session, reward her with the football. Obsession is a great tool to use. After a few sessions, she'll soon realize what comes @ the end of them. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, we put all the footballs away and now she's obsessing over one of the toys in her easter basket. So, it's not just the footballs, it's any toy that you can throw and she can fetch. oy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, try & use it to your advantage. And take note of any toy that she really seems to enjoy more-so than the others. I have a special toy put up for Prada & I use it as a training aid. It works great... and during our sessions, her attention is always on me (but she's just wondering when I'm going to give w/the toy *haha*)!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she concentrates SO hard on the object that it can't really be used for training (I've tried). She'll just shake...no matter what you say, as long as that ball (object) is in your hands, she'll only shake. If there is a treat she'll do almost every trick in the book. crazy dog. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think some boxers are a little more obsessive than others.  My girl Ginger is like Kaci, weather it's a ball, rope toy, bone, "you name it", always has been and she's 6-1/2 now.  I'm sorry that i can't give you advice on how to deal with it though, we've just been throwing toys around the living room for all these years!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote="Doodle-Doggie\";p=\"98691":i4lbfjkd]I think some boxers are a little more obsessive than others.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh I hear ya Theresa, Samson has never been much for toys either, if he plays 5 minutes once a week, I try and get pics, that's how rare it is..Angel is fickle, she changes toys favorites everyday it seems.... :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts