Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are obstacle courses good for boxers? I planned on building one for my blue heeler (adult) so I was just curious if I should train my puppy to use it too since she is so energetic also do you guys have any training tips for boxer pups?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Don't be disappointed if you don't get a lot of replies??This is not really a "Working Dog" forum as such??? Most owners here are quite thrilled if there "Boxers" are simply "Good K9 ,Citizens and are not a constant source of "embarrassment" by acting like tools. :)

But to answer your question, "yes" Boxers if that is what you want to do?? Can excel in the obstacle course, thing. Boxer's as a general rule ... don't take anything seriously?? So the challenge, is going to be trying to convince them that you are serious???

Once you get past that ... they are a piece of cake! Now that said, I do believe we have a recent member on here that does "Obedience Training or Obstacle stuff" with "Herder Dog's?? Queensland Heelers, Aussie's etc I lump them altogether myself, not really a fan but whatever.

But hopefully the poster that has them and now a Boxer will chime in??? They will be a bit less based them me. Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
We’ve never had any formal course, but boxers do well with consistency and making things fun.
Our boys were treat motivated, so this helped in this training. Keep in mind as Chip noted, they are goofy and like to play. Especially puppies. Don’t get frustrated when she’s easily distracted and may want to do the course way different than what u want to do.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
One of my friends has one for his dog, nothing professional or anything, and Zuke loves it. Funny thing was he had a bar set at about 2ft and Zuke likes jumping but for some reason he would basically do a military crawl under it. Took a few times but he finally realized it was easier to jump.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
One of my friends has one for his dog, nothing professional or anything, and Zuke loves it. Funny thing was he had a bar set at about 2ft and Zuke likes jumping but for some reason he would basically do a military crawl under it. Took a few times but he finally realized it was easier to jump.
LOL well that is an "interesting interpretation" of a jump?? And most likely why a "Pro Trainer of k9's" once said "I can train 3 GSD's, in the time it takes to train "One" Boxer!

We'll let Bob and his Bomb sniffing, Boxer go in first and see how that works out??? If you hang out with GSD folks, that is kinda how they view our Breed.
Boxers are however founded from "Dogs of War" but how "Goofy" got to be a "Breed a characteristic??" Is still a mystery ... I have not solved???

My first GSD was a lot of things but "Goofy" was not one of them?? Now my Sturddell (White Boxer) LOL ...what can I say. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
LOL well that is an "interesting interpretation" of a jump?? And most likely why a "Pro Trainer of k9's" once said "I can train 3 GSD's, in the time it takes to train "One" Boxer!

We'll let Bob and his Bomb sniffing, Boxer go in first and see how that works out??? If you hang out with GSD folks, that is kinda how they view our Breed.
Boxers are however founded from "Dogs of War" but how "Goofy" got to be a "Breed a characteristic??" Is still a mystery ... I have not solved???

My first GSD was a lot of things but "Goofy" was not one of them?? Now my Sturddell (White Boxer) LOL ...what can I say. :)
I have no reference point to compare to a GSD, never had one, but other than some of the focus training, I have to say he has picked up things quicker than any dog I have ever trained. I was actually surprised since I read how difficult boxers can sometimes be to train.

The cool thing about him going under the bar was I trained him two things in one shot. lol.. "Under" which he did by himself so I just attached a word to it, and "over" which took a few times. I was laughing when he crawled under the bar but then thought "This would be a hell of a lot harder to train him to do if he didn't do it by himself."

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I have no reference point to compare to a GSD, never had one, but other than some of the focus training, I have to say he has picked up things quicker than any dog I have ever trained. I was actually surprised since I read how difficult boxers can sometimes be to train.

The cool thing about him going under the bar was I trained him two things in one shot. lol.. "Under" which he did by himself so I just attached a word to it, and "over" which took a few times. I was laughing when he crawled under the bar but then thought "This would be a hell of a lot harder to train him to do if he didn't do it by himself."
LOL ... under??? I luv it! The thing is ... and a broad "assumption here."

GSD folks ... are not that flexible??? Certain things are "Expected?!" You go over the top of the jumps dog ...not underneath them??? I don't have "time" for this crap ... get it right "now" or your out of here dog! :)

But Boxers and Boxer folks ... well, we pretty much expect to see "crap like that??" Just another quirk ... no big deal. Most likely Boxer folks already have a well established level of "Goofy Tolerance" built in?? Based on Luv of Breed?? Kinda like ... well I was not expecting this, but no big deal. :)

I've only worked with a couple of Boxers ... and there biggest issues were they were, both serious pullers! One had a "Deer Chasing Issue"also and Deer where they are "Virginia City NV" are an everyday issue?? And the other was a serious puller and had "apparently a fear of people issue???"

In order to not do a yet another post ... the bottom line is I found both Boxers, to be a piece of cake. :)

But sigh ... they were both males! As I read many many years ago ... the girls are different! :crazyeye:

I found both male Boxers, to be pieces of cake no problem but I have not had the chance to work with another female Boxer, yet???

For a Boxer newbie the best advice "especially, if you are a male??" Is to get a Boy! The girls, tend to bend male owners to there will! I luv the girls myself
but if asked, by a Boxer newbie ... I'd say get a boy. :)

But as for me ... as the saying goes do what what I say ... not what I do, Girls Rule! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts