Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know that chocolate is lethal to a dog.  But i found out the other day that rasins and grapes are as well.  I didnt know if that was common knowledge or not, so i figured i would post it just incase it wasnt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Yes, I recently learned about the grapes too. I had no idea, when I was a kid I used to share grapes with our family dog. He was fine though.  :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think it depends on how much they have
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
White chocolate is fine be/c its not actually chocolate..

And onions are a HUGE no no too! Heres a list of foods you shouldn't give doggies.. One thing i didn't know about was Garlic?

http://www.mhhs.net/poisonous%20foods%20for%20dogs.htm

After reading this list ... Is all of this stuff really poisonous?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
This migt be a "silly" question but, if garlic is a no no then why is it in so many dog foods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Gralic is really bad for a dog!!!  It'll also give the dog breath that can knock over a tall building!!!  Chocolate is lethal in high doses (ie: don't let them get into the the candy bar drawer in the kitchen (yes, I have one) etc etc etc...)  and they do get in to a high dose of it all they can really do is give the dog charcoal to induce vomiting and hope that works to push it out of the system...

Liz and Lilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
You can use peroxide to induce vomiting as well .. It was recommended by my vet..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
Garlic is actually very good for dogs and is a natural flea preventative. All it takes is about a 1/2 a clove a week added to food.
Chocolate can be lethal to pets because it contains theobromine, which causes increased heart rate, central nervous system stimulation and constriction of arteries. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine. A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog.  :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
I've given Charlie beer a couple of times.  I usually give him about an ounce though.  I'll pour a little on the deck and let him lick it up.  Jessica used to give him grapes.  I found out about them and stopped that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
I freaked out the one and only time Scout counter surfed and ended up with the grapes I had just cleaned!  We have stressed to the kids how important it is to keep their candy put away and they have done an amazing job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other day i woke up and Shaun left some oreos and a peanut buttercup within Jessies reach...

So i calmly explained to him that the combination of those two could have been .... not good... lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
Yeah, alcohol isn't the best for pets either. I can't even crack open a beer and Maddie is practically in my lap for some!  :eek:  Must be the smell.
Also, ham and other salty meats are real dangerous because they are high in fat and are very salty which can cause serious stomach ache, even pancreatitis.
Caffeine is another bad thing. The raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure in pets. It must take a lot of grapes though because my last boxer ate a whole package of grapes and he was fine. Oh something else that I just heard is bad are Avocados. They are really high in fat and can cause stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. The pit is also toxic and can get stuck in the intestinal tract leading to a severe blockage, which may require surgery. I never knew about the avocados, or perhaps never payed much attention about it because I won't touch them.  :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
beer is really high in minerals...we actually give it to horses occassionally as a supplement.  So i think beer in a very low dose may be benefitial...I'll have to research it...

Liz and Lilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"12919":z63k02nt]Yeah, alcohol isn't the best for pets either. I can't even crack open a beer and Maddie is practically in my lap for some!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
[quote="lillyzmomma\";p=\"12920":24xwt2hi]beer is really high in minerals...we actually give it to horses occassionally as a supplement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
I actally called my vet about this one (beer issue)...

He said that a small amount won't hurt a dog...hops can be really bad and lagers and ale are best if the dog is gonna get any at all...

They do make a non alcoholic beer for dog's specifically...something to look at in the very least just for an interesting read....

Just thought you guys would find it interesting...

Liz and Lilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
The grapes/raisins thing is semi-recent - while renal failure in dogs fed grapes or raisins was first noticed as early as 1989, it really was not a publicized risk until 2001.  So far a specific mechanism is not known - no pesticides, mycotoxins, etc. have been common to all cases, and both commercially and organically/privately grown grapes have caused problems.  One or two grapes or raisins for a Boxer is not something about which to panic, but until (unless) more is known about why these have become a problem, it's probably best to avoid them for the most part.

Garlic can be problematic in large doses, but the health benefits support its use as a supplement in moderation.  Garlic is from the same family as onions, and so can lead to the same problem, but onions have a much higher concentration of the toxin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
I have heard that beer is only good to stimulate a female to lactate after giving birth...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
some of the stuff from that list:

Moldy/spoiled foods
Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars


really? :roll:

I mean I know there are some people with very little common sense, but sheesh.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top