Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Re: odd shaking - partial seizure?

Hopefully just was laying on it funny as you said.  I had one that had seizures years ago and they were nothing like what you've described.  I would do as you are planning and follow up with a vet visit tomorrow.  I hope it all turns out to be nothing.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Nano.  I've not forgotten how much help you were with Henry in the begining!
God bless you.  You really are wonderful! :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

I would also keep a little log of when it happens, dates, time and description of what happened before (sleeping) and incident and what happened afterwards.  I find this is most helpful for vets and remembering things correctly if they happen again.

Nano

You are welcome, by the way.  I remember you as well.  God bless you all.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Oh that's a great idea!  I can never remember anything anymore!  It's like my brain is leaving my body or something. :?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

My Boxer had a mysterious head wobble for about 5 years.  It was disturbing to watch, sometimes worse wobble than other times.  He'd be alert enough to come when I called him, but seemed a little disoriented.  We saw a neurologist and his neuro exam was normal,  They ruled out heart disease, and it didn't get worse (with other symptoms) over the years.  We'd rub his neck and sometimes he'd pull out more quickly.  He never fainted or stumbled, and it seemed to happen when he had not eaten for awhile.  An owner of another breed had this same problem, and again her dog did not get worse.  I hope things go well and try not to worry - right!!

For some reason it improved some after he was treated with Doxy because he had a low positive titer for E.Canis.

·
Registered
744 Posts

This can happen and is thought to be familial in nature. A friend's boxer did this and after asking her breeder about it, it was found that the dog's uncle did it as well as his father.

If you do a search on Ideopathic Head Tremors, and pay attention to specific results in Dobermans and English Bulldogs, you'll likely find similar accounts of this happening. The biggest thing is that you want to make sure that it's not a true seizure. It has been my observation that the biggest difference between the two is that dogs with Ideopathic Head Tremors are 100% completely aware of their surroundings when they happen. They respond when their name is called and respond to commands.

There is some thought that these tremors can be caused by certain food additives or colors (think raw hide, colored cheapo dog biscuits, etc) or allergy. Some have found success in giving the dog something to focus on once a tremor begins (for example: wiping a bit of peanut butter on the roof of the dog's mouth).

Many dogs who have this condition live long lives despite the occasional tremor, but again, you may want to check with the vet to make sure that what you're seeing is not seizure related.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Hoping that Henry is ok Z, keep us posted on his vet visit

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Hope everything is OK with Henry too, and yes, please let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
455 Posts

I had a something pretty simialar, To make a long story short, my dog ate a walnut, hive's , resp. distress and a sz.  I rushed her to the ER they fixed her all up etc. ( VERY TRAMAZING) anyways they said she had a sz disorder and put her on Phenobarb.  she ended up coming home but that night went back, she ended up being there for about 5 days.  Then we took her home again and were to monitor her, keep a log etc. We decided to have her see a Neuro. @ Tuft's, (BEST PLACE EVER) the DR's were great, so they did her exam and said no she doesnt have a sz disorder, take her offf the meds. Turns out she had what is called Boxer Head Tremor Syndrome most likely due to all the stress of being away from us and all the tramua.  
So of course I went on line and found lot's of info.  Has there been any stress for your boxer???? :)
Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts

My last boxer, we thought was having seizures also and they were bad ones... to find out the 1st time it happen she had eaten some leaves on a house plant that was poisonous and the second time, she ate a lizard outside in the yard.  So hopefully it is something simple and you won't have to worry anymore!!  Good luck and hope the best for you and your baby!

·
Registered
202 Posts

our old collie did something similar to this back on Thanksgiving day 2006. We ended up taking him to the E-vet, and was told it was a thyroid problem along with Cushings disease. I would hold his head still, and his eyes would continue to move back and forth. I dont know if the same thing is going on with your pup, but I wouldn't rule out calling the vet if it continues.

Good luck! Tucker and I both hope he starts to feel better soon!

·
Registered
780 Posts

Hope he is okay.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Nothing out of the ordinary has happened.  It's only happened twice and both times on waking up.  Will be calling the vet today.  Thanks for all the advice/tips/well wishes!  Will keep you posted. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts

Good luck with the vet visit - hope Henry's going to get a clean bill of health - fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, the vet is on vacation.  They are referring emergencies to another doc, but this is not an emergency.  Doc will be back tomorrow and will call me.
I explained all the symptoms to the nurse.  She said idiopathic head tremors, too.  Did some diging around the net, sounds like that's what it is.  Will need to do some blood work to rule out thyroid, blood sugar, or liver probs.  If not a problem there, then it's just something we have to live with.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Keeping fingers crossed that it isn't anything serious..Give Henry a big hug for me  :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: odd shaking - partial seizure? - UPDATE

Well, vet said that the "shakes" have been so infrequent, that he is not concerned.
He raises English bull dogs and is familiar with the problem.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

That's good to hear Z...Hoping Henry doesn't have any more :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts