Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. We brought Odin home last night. He is a 8 week old boxer puppy. So excited about this puppy and he has been welcomed by his other doggy family really well.

Being 8 weeks old, I am trying to find a good collar to walk him with. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to a long life with Odin here with me.

Flipper

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

And so you know ... you should not take him anywhere where other dogs are until he has been fully vaccinated! Concrete and asphalt are safest, organism live in organic matter ie "Grass."

And for the record ... I'm not a Dog Park fan, if you want to find ... A-Hole, dog's lot's of them are at your local Dog Park, but that's another story. :)

As for what collar to start with ... well you don't really need one. A SLL is the best choice, but you will need a small dog SLL. The Real Deal is to big and heavy for a puppy.

And you would use it to guide your puppy to keep him close. A 15 foot leash would also be a choice for training and most of your work will be done in the back yard to start.

But pictures are word a thousand words as they say. So my favorite puppy trainer is here.:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39rA__veYgR4EvJoPQhwRlxZmW5H3IEm

And while this is a bit more ..."complex" as it introduces the "Touch Paw" and "Place Command" uh real freaking early! It also introduces your puppy to following you and sticking close!:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions and help. Looking to learn more and more about the boxer breed. The collar was for use when taking him outside for potty breaks. There aren't any dog parks close to me.

I have a 2 acre lot my house sits on that isn't fenced in...yet.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome! Do you have a photo to share?
We used a flat nylon color and leash on our puppy to take him in our backyard to learn to potty. It worked well. We never used a crate, so this was also helpful every now and then (when he was outside of his indoor pen) to keep him in one area. We wrapped the leash around an ottoman leg so he only had the length of the leash to explore.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions and help. Looking to learn more and more about the boxer breed. The collar was for use when taking him outside for potty breaks. There aren't any dog parks close to me.

I have a 2 acre lot my house sits on that isn't fenced in ...yet.

Thanks so much
No Dog Parks ... is just as well! I don't care for them in and in any case "no Pro's " that deal with dogs with uh ... " serious issues" would advise their clients to take their dog to "Dog Park!"

And that adside ... "Boxer puppy's" have been on the receiving end of some horrible, maulings by some tools out of control dogs!!

On here ... I got tired of being the "bad guy??" With my constand "Dog Parks" are bad thing ..."blab, blab." but there was a newbie, here with a Boxer pup and she was ... "Dog Parking" him??? And while I was contemplating ... sigh, being that guy, yet again?? She posted a Dog Park encounter gone wrong!!!

And her was "BLINDED" in a "Dog Park" encounter gone wrong! That was a couple ofyears ago and most likely no else remembers?? But since I chose "not to be a tool" I do!! I still regret, to this day choosing not to be a "tool!" :(

And there is the FB episode, with yet another Boxer puppy! That was a "Go Fund Me" situation! That Boxer pup got mauled by a "husky" something or nother! Eleven Thousand Dollars worth of reconstructive damage for skull injury!!

Boxer puppys are like "Raw Meat" in a Dog Park! A lot of Dog's don't much care for being hopped on. circled at high speed and being punched in the face!! And they show their displeasure with there teeth!!

So yeah I'm not a Dog Park fan rest assure ... you will not find my Boxer pup at a Dog Park ... my dog's safety comes first! I trust ... "NO ONE!"

If anyone here ...wanted to meet my dogs ... then you know ..."make an appointment!" Cuz I don't play!

But that said ... I did take my Oversized Working Line GSD to a "Dog Park" for "Proofing!" And he never met an on dog dog in uh his whole life! Five years at that time. And he did just fine! He did not care about other dogs and he just followed me and ignored other dogs! But ... he was 116 lbs of Wl GSD at the time and if there were an issue?? He could hold his own until Daddy got there!! And when I did .... this crap would stop right freaking now!!! Cuz I don't freaking play!!

But if you got a sub 25 lb Boxer pup that punches the "wrong dog in the face" which is what Boxers do, ... "Good Luck with that!"

Now all that aside ... my Struddell, was actually the kind of "Dog" that people, expect to see at a "Dog Park??" But you know ... there was "No Chance" you'd find her there?? For the most part, well trained well behaved Dogs ... are not going to be found at a "Dog Park??" Her "safety" came first and foremost for me!!

I have "Zero" interest" in dealing with some tools out of control cur!! So you know you'd not find my Struddell at a "Dog Park???" God help the the Dog and owner that attacked my girl??? I'd get that Dog off my girl and I would go after that owner!!! Other dog's are not the only Dangers at a "Dog Park!" Beware the owners! "Bear, Bear" a friendly Husky was Gunned Down" by an off duty cop at a "Dog Park!" When he got to close to an off duty cops, GSD!

So you know ... "Dogs"' are not the only "Danger" at a "Dog Park" ... beware the owners! Aww well ... this is just my take ... I got a bit less, irrational, info at hand if you like. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts