Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odin's peeing in the house again. I'm at home just about 24/7 the routine is still there... why is he peeing in the house!!? We're having carpet cleaners come out later this month because of Sarah's not so spill proof sippy cups (which we've now fixed that problem) and Odin from when he was being potty trained. He's been so good for about a month... and then out of the blue... this happens. Sometimes it's a saturated amount of urine and sometimes it's just a little bit... for that reason makes me wonder if he's 'marking'...? I've almost always had girl dogs so I don't really know much about that stuff... just the basics. I mean it's almost 3 times a day... or at least 3 different spots... sometimes I don't know how long it's been there. I keep a pretty good eye on him... and call him to me if I feel he's been away too long or if I feel he's trying to still Sarah's food.

We're just freaking out a little cuz' we don't want to sit here and pay the money to have the carpet cleaned if he's just going to ruin it more. We're getting it cleaned right before my mother in law comes to visit since it's not looking it's best. But I'm so worried that from the time we have it cleaned to the time she comes out he's gonna be peeing all over the carpet again! I told hubby that I guess I just have to start taking him outside every 1 1/2 or something. I mean that's pretty much what we do... maybe more like 3-4 hrs... but that was GOING great. I just don't understand how he can hold it for 10 hrs in his crate but 2 out... or something like that... I don't know... I'm just in shock.... I know he's a puppy... and that's fine... but what the heck!?? He was so great! And instead of getting a little worse... it went from not so good to horrible! Okay I'll shut up now... like I said... I'm just in awe and worried he's going to ruin our carpet!! :(

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Based on what you've said so far (can you give me more info if you can) it sounds like hes marking.  How old is he?  Has he been neutered?

Having the carpet cleaned will probably help, as he's likely picking up scents from previous "accidents" and that could be reinforcing it.  When they clean the carpet, have them use a pet deodorizer to "neutralize" the scent.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's almost six months. Some spots are very wet and others seem to me like he's marking because when he urinates he soaks the floor and what I found in Sarah's room tonight was just like a light spray on the carpet.

Our vet clinic doesn't neuter till their 7 months so we have another month. I was trying to figure out if maybe bringing Nikki in the home had something to do with it... but the timing isn't really right. Though Nikki will go outside after Odin and urinate right where he went. He doesn't seem to care though. What kind of info do you need? I'm just kind of stumped... I mean I have idea's and am going to be much more strict on timing for potty... but I thought that's what we were all ready doing. So I just need advice... second opinions... etc. HELP! LOL

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It could be either marking or the stress of bringing nikki home. Dogs can start marking around 6 months. I had Buster neutered at 5 months, and he still had accidents in the house until he was 9 months. It is very frustrating when they do this, especially when you know they can hold it for so long. I would guess it is probably a little of both issues. He probably figured out that this little nikki is not going anywhere so he better mark his territory. Good luck with him, I hope it's not going to be a very long month until he can go in for his clipping!  :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It would be about the time age wise for marking to start.  Having the new dog might also be part of it.  What are you using to clean up with?  Natures Miracle is about the best.  I particularly like the new one with citrus.  Getting him nuetered will help.  You just need to watch him and maybe go back to using the crate or an ex-pen for time outs and making his space smaller again.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It sounds like marking to me also....I agree with Lillyzmomma that I would go ahead and have the carpets cleaned and then keep handy a big bottle of Natures Miracle while you are working on the rules again.  It is his boy hormones kicking in I think.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Mastray, forgive me, I started laughing when I saw the title to this...I know, not nice.... :oops: Maybe also you might start keeping Odin on a leash and close to you as well, that way you can monitor him better, just a thought.. I can understand your frustration, that's kinda what I was going thru when we brought Angel home in Feb, no acidents in the crate, never, but every 30 minutes, she needed to go out, and woe was me and the carpet if I didn't. We have now been accident free for almost 2 mos and boy am I tickled. I'd go back to Potty Training stage 1 with Odin and just be extra vigilant...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I figured I had good ideas of what was going on and how to deal with it I just needed second opinions. LOL that's okay samsonsmom... it was suppose to be funny... my post may sound like I'm completely irritated with the situation... but I do find humor in it. :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sorry Mastray, I'm guilty of laughing too when I read the title.  But at least I know what I got to look forward to when I get my male. I have never owned a male before so I had no idea this could happen. Good Luck

·
Registered
780 Posts
We have always had females too.  Ziggi is our first male and we have noticed a few spots of scattered pee, most of the time we think it is from being excited, this has happened a few times and usually it is because he has been playing or excited and didn't finish outside before he was off running and playing and then back in the house.  We found it on the stairs when he was going down them in the morning on his way outside...like he just couldn't wait to get out.  He wasn't just standing there peeing it just sorta came out as he walked down the stairs, other times it was the same when he was in the house, he didn't try to do it.  He doesn't have an infection or anything and it is much better now, he was around 6-9 months when it was the worst.  He is 17 months now and it is VERY seldom that it happens now.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese has recently started regressing as well. I think it may be the age playing a role as well. Reese is also 6 months and used to do very well, then all of a sudden she is going in the house. Last night even though i had taken her out, about 2 hours later she went in the house-Imagine my surprise when i start walking down the stairs and literally see a trail of dog poo!!  :?  i wasnt a happy camper- i get downstairs after following my little poo trail and see Reese laying in her kennel looking at me with a guilty look on her little face! she knew what she did :D so we are starting back at square one.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Roxy did this about 6 months too!!! Just go back to square one with him!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts