Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, little Odin is getting his ears done...No, nobody is going to yell at you...Cropping in the states is still a choice that we are allowed to make, thank goodness. My personal preference is to leave them natural, but yes, they do have a very regal look when the cut is done properly..Samson's were done too short, he has a Dobie cut, which I don't like & Angel has one ear that kinda flops a bit as her ears were rather thick..But it's the boxer, not the cut of the ears that we love....

Good luck and can't wait for pictures of the little cutie with his new look.....There was a lot of good advice in that post you were referring to also, hope it will help you....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
There was a real good thread a couple of months back about this. Let me look for it... Here it is:

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... highlight=

I don't know if you've read through this but it has a bunch of info on aftercare and posting. I never saw the final product of this thread....he kind of just dissapeared... :roll:
Anyhow, there are people on this forum that do not agree with ear cropping, but we are all adults here, and we can seem to agree to disagree in a half way polite manner anyway.  :lol:
I am a floppy eared person myself, but I do love the look of a good long show crop. Yes, regal is a great word to describe it....also very majestic looking. Like samsonsmom said, it is the boxer, not the ears.  :p
I will be thinking of Odin today, and keeping fingers and paws crossed that all goes well with his crop. Can't wait to see pics!  :winkle:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Odin will be in our prayers! be sure to post pics of the little guy once he is done.  I love the boxer with the cropped ear, very regal and majestic, but personally wouldnt do it to mine. All my boxers have been floppy, and i think they always will be.Congrats on doing the research prior to having the surgery. It is best to be well informed, then make a rash decision. Keep us posted on how well he does!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good luck!! I am nutruel on this subject. I have a Giant Schnauzer that we had her ears done. turned out very nice! But I felt so sorry for her she was in pain :cry:  It took a few months of taping to get them to stand but the vet did a great job Can't wait to see pictures!!
Here is a pic of Liberty(Libby) Not a boxer but still Beautiful!! :D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Libby looks great! Don't think I've ever even seen a Giant Schnauzer before... well on Animal Planet when they have he Dog Show on. She's beautiful... Thanks for all the support everyone!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Starr05\";p=\"7056 said:
I have a Giant Schnauzer
I love Giant Schnauzer's!  :)   My vet used to have two of them. They are not a breed you see every day. Come to think of it, I've never seen one without their ears cropped.?  :roll: There is one at the dog park named Zues that plays with Maddie.
Libby is gorgeous!  :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I prefer floppy ears, but I think Diesels ears would look better cropped. The way they sit now, it's like they're trying to go up on their own.

Best of luck! I'm sure he'll look great.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I am a sucker for floppy, but i seen nothing wrong with cropping.... good luck!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Paws crossed here.  Ours went extremely well.  Our vet used a turban for both of ours and Scouts stood up when the turban came off.  His ear leather was thicker than Gunners.  We ended up taping Gunners for about an extra week after his turban came off.  We did not notice any pain with them.  They just didn't like the turban.  They would both run into the corner of the wall trying to knock it off.

I also don't think you will get bashed around here.  Most everyone here is pretty adult about it and believe it is up the the owners.  My OH thinks it is like the opinion to circumsize infant boys.  Some are for it and some are against it.

I'm sure he will do great and can't wait to see the final product!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good luck with his cropping.   All the boxers I have ever been around have had cropped ears, so naturally I followed suit and had both of ours cropped.  I think they look stunning, whether cropped or floppy.   It's funny, my aunt has had at least 1 boxer in her home for probably the last 20 years.  Her current boxer, Lady, does not have her ears done, she's the first they've owned that is floppy.  She is so cute all floppy eared.  Has the sweetest expression.  Gunnar's required about 2 weeks worth of taping after they healed before they'd stand on their own.  Ginger's however, were standing from day 1, after the wrappings came off.  She listed a bit the first few days but by the time the stitches came out they were almost perfect.  She didn't have to be taped at all,  thank goodness.  I can just imagine Gunnar chasing that neat little thing on top of her head!  lol  You can look in my album and see the results on both of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm pro floppy, but only because I had my first boxers ears cropped.  Not that it went bad, don't want to give that idea.  It was a lot of work for me to keep them clean and well kept. She didn't like the turban.  It was the look that I got from her when I picked her up after the surgery.  Oh boy, was she ever mad at me!!!  And I've had a guilty conscience ever since.  
I'm sure everything will go great for you!! and can't wait to see the finished "distinguished" look!! or "regal"

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think you just have to understand that most of the anti-cropping "lobby" (for want of a better word!) come from countries where cropping is illegal, and, I would go so far as to say, considered barbaric.  It's a cultural thing, like circumcision (which, incidentally, can only be done in Ireland for medical reasons, you can't elect to have a child circumcised, even for religious reasons).

I would compare it to female circumcision or foot binding - it is acceptable in some cultures whereas in others it is viewed with disapproval or even horror.  That is the way most Europeans would look on ear cropping - it's just not acceptable practice here, and that's why we sometimes have a hard time realising that it is still seen as perfectly normal elsewhere.

Dew claw removal is also not practiced here, and I've a feeling that a ban on tail docking is on the cards too (it has already been introduced in the UK recently).

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay... so I picked up Odin to day... He's doing great! They told me he may not want to eat for a little while or play due to the meds but he's eating and playing and of course lovin' that he's back home! Before I got him I went to Wal-Mart and bought him a new toy, chew bones (which is in the pictures), and new treats called "Snaps"... he loves them all. As of this moment he's sleeping under my chair but is being his normal self.

They told me unless he's having any problems to jus come back in with 8-10 days. They try not to put them under to take out the stitches but if they have to it won't cost anything. Then to let them completely heal... 10-14 days and if they're not standing up on their own to bring him in and they'll start taping them...? Does that make sense?? From what I've read I don't think that's what other people have been doing... I think it sounds great... to not even mess with them till they heal... but NOT having to tape them...????

Anyway... here are some pics!

He really loves his chew bone...

REALLY REALLY  :lol:

He's fixated on his chew bone I'm holding JUST out of his reach.

·
Registered
616 Posts
OMG!  He's sooo cute!  I have heard that they do leave the ears untaped to heal quicker and then do the taping, if needed.  That way the scabs do not get pulled by the tape.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome home Odin!!
He looks like a totally different pup!
You want the ears to heal before taping to avoid infection, although I have to say, he is the first puppy I've seen come home with nothing on his ears? I don't really know too much about it but usually they come home wrapped.
Well, he looks good, make sure to keep us updated on his progress.
BTW, was he neutered too while he was under?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I KNOW... they brought him out to me and I was like "Odin??? :think: Is that you!????"  :D

Well he has the stitches of course but no... they said they want them to be "aired out" ( that's not the term they used but I can't think of it for some reason) while healing even though the stitches are in and NOTHING on them after the stitches come out till they are healed completely... AND THEN if we need to tape them we'll do that.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts