Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help.

We just rescued Molly about a month ago, she was abandoned and left for dead. We are so happy with her, and love her so much. Buuuuuttttt, she recently started destroying things when nobody is home. So far she has ripped apart decorations, a wicker basket, and some other random stuff.  She has also made claw marks on some of my furniture. I know she is probably just doing this for attention or something like that. I know she is not bored cause we have my other boxer Oatie right with her. All of their toys are out too. Im just wondering if anyone elses boxers do this.. and if anyone knows why she is doing it. Its getting to be a hassle redecorating everytime I leave the house.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like seperation anxiety and she may need to be crated when you are not able to watch her.  There are many dogs that would do this, including mine.  If left alone for a long period of time she would always tear something up.  While I am at home no problems and at night no problems....SO, if she will be alone she goes in her crate, which she likes alot anyway!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Both ours have been crate trained right from the start.  The only thing I'd worry about with crate training is, do you want to crate one, but not the other.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If i leave Kaiser out he will do the same thing, he is just under a year.  Hayle our 7 year old boxer will not touch anything, with the exceptions of food or trashcan. (oops my bad)  Kaiser is happy being pinned up a few hours a day and does not destroy anything in his area.  Haylee did have the same behavior when she was younger, had to confine her also.  Currently Kaiser is in 4 x 6 area with only a baby gate keeping him in,  he could easily get out if he like but has never tried

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like she might need a crate when youre not there. It was a MUST for Xena when she was a pup. The few times we let her loose and left the house, she managed to destroy our computer desk, 1 couch, countless pillows, tissue boxes, wood laminate flooring, walls, our t.v., chairs, tables...i could go on forever but the point is she needed supervision or confinement. Now that shes 3 1/2 she doesnt destroy a thing and can be left alone for a good long while. Were not taking any chances with Zora. She will be crated whenever we cannot watch her.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Crate!  And if you can't do that, at least gate off an area of the house with doggie/baby gates that is safe.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I leave one out and one in with no problems.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sounds to me like she's bored. I have a separation anxiety rehab and her behavior was much different than your girl's. Usually SA cases will chew, but they'll almost always chew in attempts to get out (so that they can get closer to you). My girl broke out of her crate once and chewed up the bottom of the solid wood door to the dog room (TG it was closed!). She also urinated and defecated in several places. We had issues with this girl from the beginning - she even dug, chewed and messed while crated.

I have two others who do not have SA who would tear things up if given the opportunity to be out and left alone for too long. . . They're just busy boxers. ;)

I don't agree that she's doing to get attention because dogs don't understand cause and effect the same way that we do. She may just need to be reminded that there are things that we are allowed to play with and things that we aren't allowed to chew. I agree with whoever made the suggestion to try her back in the crate. If your eventual goal is to be able to leave her uncrated, I'd purchase an exercise pen and start her in there with toys, or try her in a closed room in which she will not have access to anything other than 4 white walls and her toys.

You can also try varying your routine before leaving, leaving and arriving back home quietly and creating a "safe word" before you leave. It won't hurt to do these things and in the event that there was some anxiety there, these techniques will help to modify that behaviour as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Lots of great advice. I do have them gated up in the kitchen/family room. I thought that would be enough but i guess not. haha. I always run them around a lot before I leave for work or for something. Usually someone is home during the day, they have not been home alone for more then 3 or 4 hours, and she still does it. I always leave their toys out, so they wouldnt get bored. But I guess that didnt work either. I have never crated a dog before. Is there any good advice for me?

And Burning River... Can you tell me more about this "safe word"

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
MissKellyxox\";p=\"59732 said:
And Burning River... Can you tell me more about this "safe word"
A safe word is a word that you program them to understand that you'll return. You start out by using the safe word and briefly walking out of the room and then returning. Then you gradually work up to being gone for longer and longer periods of time, always using the word before you leave. Mine is "Be good girls".

Here is a link on SA: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ZA ... =firefox-a

A book that I LOVE is called "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell, PhD. It's a cheap read (at under $10), but a good one and will tell you everything you need to know about behavior modification techniques and reprogramming a dog from SA. It can be ordered here: http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB667

The one other big thing that I have found works is to boost confidence. (SA is a low self esteem issue.) Obedience classes do WONDERS to boost confidence.

I do want to qualify all of this by stating that *true* SA cases are few and far between. . . For example, a puppy that howls in its crate does not have SA. A dog that defecates and urinates in its crate and smears it everywhere in attempts to dig their way out of the crate or a dog that mangles its crate in attempts to free itself is a classic SA case.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yup, I agree with BurningRiver.....a true SA is pretty extreme.  You're not there yet, so try the crate.   Many (maybe most) boxers will chew and destroy stuff when left alone.  They may be bored, they may just feel like it.  It's just the way they are.  They do it because they can!  A real bad SA case may be uncrateable.  I was unable to crate my boy because of it, so I had to work around it with gates and what not.  He's much better adjusted now but believe me, the crate is the way to go for the peace of mind.  I personally don't believe in crating any dog for long hours though so I guess it just depends on how often you're gone.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well i cant really add to what has already been said. I am a firm believer of Kenneling when not at home. It is not only safer for your dog, but also your home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts