Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sounds to me like she's bored. I have a separation anxiety rehab and her behavior was much different than your girl's. Usually SA cases will chew, but they'll almost always chew in attempts to get out (so that they can get closer to you). My girl broke out of her crate once and chewed up the bottom of the solid wood door to the dog room (TG it was closed!). She also urinated and defecated in several places. We had issues with this girl from the beginning - she even dug, chewed and messed while crated.

I have two others who do not have SA who would tear things up if given the opportunity to be out and left alone for too long. . . They're just busy boxers. ;)

I don't agree that she's doing to get attention because dogs don't understand cause and effect the same way that we do. She may just need to be reminded that there are things that we are allowed to play with and things that we aren't allowed to chew. I agree with whoever made the suggestion to try her back in the crate. If your eventual goal is to be able to leave her uncrated, I'd purchase an exercise pen and start her in there with toys, or try her in a closed room in which she will not have access to anything other than 4 white walls and her toys.

You can also try varying your routine before leaving, leaving and arriving back home quietly and creating a "safe word" before you leave. It won't hurt to do these things and in the event that there was some anxiety there, these techniques will help to modify that behaviour as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
744 Posts
MissKellyxox\";p=\"59732 said:
And Burning River... Can you tell me more about this "safe word"
A safe word is a word that you program them to understand that you'll return. You start out by using the safe word and briefly walking out of the room and then returning. Then you gradually work up to being gone for longer and longer periods of time, always using the word before you leave. Mine is "Be good girls".

Here is a link on SA: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:ZA ... =firefox-a

A book that I LOVE is called "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell, PhD. It's a cheap read (at under $10), but a good one and will tell you everything you need to know about behavior modification techniques and reprogramming a dog from SA. It can be ordered here: http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB667

The one other big thing that I have found works is to boost confidence. (SA is a low self esteem issue.) Obedience classes do WONDERS to boost confidence.

I do want to qualify all of this by stating that *true* SA cases are few and far between. . . For example, a puppy that howls in its crate does not have SA. A dog that defecates and urinates in its crate and smears it everywhere in attempts to dig their way out of the crate or a dog that mangles its crate in attempts to free itself is a classic SA case.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.