Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everything was going alright.  It was hard keeping her quiet since she shouldn't of been there  :lol: But then 2am rolls around and Maggie's right eyelids (top and bottom) were swollen... really really swollen.  I swear she looked just like Will Smith on Hitch when he ate something that he was allergic to.    So I called the emerg vet in town to ask for advice.  They tell me to bring her in... umm how do I do that if I'm the only one working and I cannot leave?  So I hang up with them.

Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out why her eye is so darn swollen.  At one point she opened the crate door herself and so I wondered if she whacked herself in the eye with it.  Mommy is panicking about now.  Then I remembered that I had Benedrayl in the car (seriously, I did LOL).  I called that emerg vet back (it's not my vet) to ask them how much I could give her just in case it is an allergy.  Umm Ma-am I can't give you that info in case something goes wrong.  DAMN!!!  Now what do I do?

I decided to just give her a teeny tiny amount of the Benedrayl and PRAY HARD that it doesn't harm her.  So I cut up about 1/8th of a 25mg pill, she took it no problem.  An hour goes by and her eye is still swollen, but for some reason it doesn't look as bad.  She sleeps in her crate, I do my work and another hour goes by (I was checking on her every 5 mins but I couldn't see her face) and the swelling is gone.  My baby isn't Hitch anymore  8)  

Oh and aside from Maggie, guess what else happened?  I locked myself out when I went to take Maggie to the bathroom at 4am.  I had to call 411 (Protocol to always have the phone on you) and find my boss' number and get him up  :oops:   He's so easy going that he laughed, got up and drove over to let me back in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
WOW what a night for you.  Hope she is doing better now!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Glad you got in. Don't worry about the Benadryl, it won't harm your puppy. Guido gets 50 mg a day to help him with allergies and Macy had 25 mg after her spay surgery to calm her down and help her sleep.

A 25 mg pill is fine if you ever have to give it to her again. I usually give Guido's to him with a spoon of peanut butter.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
25 mg capsules per 25 pounds of dog, or 1 mg per pound of dog given 3 times per day if needed (every 8 hours).  It has a very high safety for use, so overdose is very uncommon.  I use the caps that are solid, they are easier to split in halves.

Nano

1 - 7 of 7 Posts