Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if the title piqued you... It's my bad sense of humour. lol. It did get you in here to read this though, didn't it? :D

I'm set to pick up a rescued boxer next weekend. I told my mother about him (she lives a few blocks from me) and she freaked out. She thinks that all boxers are vicious, uncontrollable animals-- in fact, she has that view about all dogs larger than her own lhasa apso (who is a hateful little brute).

When our family gets together for a bbq, I like to bring Steel (my 1 year old golden retriever) over. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can slowly introduce my new pal to my family dinners?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
just bring him and go oooo welll... better not make him mad or he will eat your lhasa

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
keep him on a lead at first to see how he does, you should do that in any new situation anyways..There's a Sticky post regarding Dog Body Language, it's a great read and will get some tips on things to look for and watch out for....Take a toy or maybe a Kong with you to keep him entertained, I do that a lot when we have company for dinner..if there's a lot of people, keep in mind that Boxers are high energy, and they play off that, a lot of people may cause him to get hyped up as well...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
oooo what a great mix...a golden and a boxer !! they wil have a blast !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
samsonsmom\";p=\"115366 said:
keep him on a lead at first to see how he does, you should do that in any new situation anyways..There's a Sticky post regarding Dog Body Language, it's a great read and will get some tips on things to look for and watch out for....Take a toy or maybe a Kong with you to keep him entertained, I do that a lot when we have company for dinner..if there's a lot of people, keep in mind that Boxers are high energy, and they play off that, a lot of people may cause him to get hyped up as well...
Steel wigs out when he's over at my mother's house because he can grab toys from the basement and run around the house, out to the backyard-- wherever. I'm hoping that if Steel and Bosco bond well enough, he might take cues from Steel. That might be too much to expect, but I will adjust as I see fit.

The only thing is, convincing my family he isn't a people eater. My mother has never met him and she already thinks he's vicious. She has only had one run in with a boxer and she said he was mean and attacked Charlie, her mean and rotten little cat-dog Lhasa Apso (I was there and saw Charlie charge the boxer but I cannot convince my mother otherwise). My other concern is Charlie. Inwardly, I'm hoping Bosco'll put the little bugger in his place, but I cannot allow that to happen because my mother will ban the dog from her house. :(

She's really caught up in the breeds-- she thinks what most ignorant dog owners think, that it's the breed that makes them aggressive. Although yes, I know that the breed has something to do with it, it's mostly in the hands of the owner.

Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"115395 said:
oooo what a great mix...a golden and a boxer !! they wil have a blast !!!
Thanks! I think so too... my husband and I are very active. We are always out for walks, hikes, swims, jogs, bike rides, roller blading, etc. I'm sure just walking the two of them is going to turn some heads! :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Any pics????? lol Kudos to rescueing!! My mom HATED roxy when we first got her as an 8 week old pup and quite frankly still does hate her and shes a pretty well behaved dog!!

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Oh Laura, how funny!!
O.K. Carmel, if your mom could see how well Boxers interact with people, she would so not worry. My sis' hubby gets all rambunctious with her 2 babies, and they are so playful. I live in a non doggie house, and am just charmed by how much fun her dogs are. Tell mama that even CAT people learn to trust and love Boxers. :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"115488 said:
Any pics????? lol Kudos to rescueing!! My mom HATED roxy when we first got her as an 8 week old pup and quite frankly still does hate her and shes a pretty well behaved dog!!
I posted some on another thread : http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... 2&start=15

samsonsaunt\";p=\"115490 said:
Oh Laura, how funny!!
O.K. Carmel, if your mom could see how well Boxers interact with people, she would so not worry. My sis' hubby gets all rambunctious with her 2 babies, and they are so playful. I live in a non doggie house, and am just charmed by how much fun her dogs are. Tell mama that even CAT people learn to trust and love Boxers. :lol:
I'm hoping that once she meets him, she'll come around.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's funny, my parents, especially my mother has never been a dog person, so here I am with rambunctious Boxers and my other sis has a Golden....When they visited me in Ireland, Buck and Tia use dot follow them everywhere, wait outside their bedroom in the morning, try and crawl in their laps..It was like they made it their mission to make my parents love them :)
A lot of people, sadly have preconceieved notions about breeds, sometimes based on a previous experience, but a lot of times it's just what they have heard from others...Your mom needs to give Bosco a chance and it sounds like her little rug rat is far worse than our babies could ever be!!! There are no bad dogs, but there are certainly plenty of bad owners :)

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I bet they will turn out to be best buddies! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts