Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get a new boxer pup in the next 6 months and want to know if anyone can recommend a breeder in Ohio.  I live in Columbus and would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi lr60pilot,
The best place to search for the breeder of your next family member is your local boxer club. The worst place to find a puppy is a pet store or through the newspaper.

Miami Valley Boxer Club is who you want to get into touch with.

Make sure that the prospective parents of your puppy are health tested for heart, hip and thyriod problems, and make sure that the breeder shows their dogs in Conformation to ensure that your boxer baby will look like a boxer when he or she is grown. Visit the breeders home prior to picking up your puppy to ensure that they are cared for in a proper manner. Ask pointed questions about temperament issues like aggression, shyness or fearfulness, separation anxiety, etc. Make sure that the breeder does their part to keep our shelters from becoming overfull by asking if they will take the dog back at any time should you no longer be able to care for it. Expect to spay or neuter your puppy if interested in a pet quality puppy, or expect to show an health test your puppy when it becomes an adult if interested in a breed quality puppy.

Last but not least, have you considered rescue? Lighthouse Boxer Rescue has many adoptable dogs coming through their program on a fairly regular basis. The advantages of adopting an older dog are to numerous to list, but include: no potty training hastle, the dogs are up to date on vaccinations, spayed or neutered, cheaper than buying a puppy, and most come with some obedience training.

Good luck in finding your next family member. Remember, this is a decision that should not be rushed and can last throughout the next 10-14 years of your life!

I hope this helps!  :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're in Ohio, I'd recommend VanSan's Boxers.  They're right over the border to PA and will probably even meet you.  They are pure Boxer lovers and have really taken time and their life to continue the right lines.  Their website is www.vansansboxers.com.  Tell them Darren sent you!  I drove 9 hours to pick our 5 month old from them and every single day I'm thankful for it.  He's the perfect pup with regards to temperament, conformation, and just plain personality.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As with any breeder, at bare minimum, please make sure that they health test (yes, even for hips) and that they will provide you with hard copies of the results.

Please visit: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html

for a list of common inherited genetic conditions in boxers, along with the tests that breeders should perform on the parents prior to breeding.

Also make sure they have a take back clause and a spay and neuter clause for all pet/companion puppies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On that note, vansan's actually takes the time to run their dogs down to the university and has tests done every year.  Their male, "Thunder" is a beauty!  They even went as far as to meet me a few hours from their house and they brough the parents just for me to meet them!  I thought that was great.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I do know of White Pines Boxers (Linda Gasper). I don't, however, know of KO Boxers and I'm pretty sure that they don't show, which makes me wonder if they do all of the appropriate health testing.

While I do believe that Linda has the best intention of our breed at heart, I always advise people (when dealing with ANY breeder) to request hard copies of the parents health testing. If the breeder ever had anything to hide, it would be pretty difficult for them to do so when dealing with hard copy proof of testing.

Honestly, I'd steer clear of Dead Broke Kennels (the link posted above). I usually don't bash other breeders on public forums (at least, I don't mention names), but I sincerely question this breeders motivations. I don't feel that they have the best interest of the breed at heart because their primary motivator seems to be money (or at least, the mention of stud prices, and "puppies for sale" right off the bat on their home page gives me this impression). They don't show, so they can't even be sure that the boxers they're producing look and act like boxers (and many of them don't compare to our standard) and there is no mention of health testing. In a breed that is plagued with many lethal (or debilitating) health conditions, I really can't stress the importance of health testing enough. No mention of take back, co-ownership or spay/neuter clauses. . . which all make me wonder if they're contributing to our shelter/rescue problems.

Worst of all, they've bred Kea FIVE times. I would likely never consider breeding a bitch more than three times (or, at least, she'd have to be a pretty darned good outstanding representative of the breed and an outstanding producer for me to consider it). Five is in line with the number of times that most puppy millers breed their bitches and I would NEVER even consider it.

Again, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but to know that kennels like this exist (let alone so close to me) really bothers me.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Interlude Boxers is in West Bend Indiana. Google it and you will find a nice website with lots of information.  She thoroughly health tests and has been in the business way over 35 years and knows her dogs.  I don't know if she has pups now, or pups planned, but sometimes she can refer you to people who have litters by her dog.  I really would recommend someone who is buying a puppy supports a breeder who is health testing this breed.  I had no problems with any health issues with my dogs until my last three (in a row) with heart problems.  I am adamant about getting my dogs from someone who TRULY loves this breed and wants to minimize those issues.  

Nano

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also ABC (American Boxer Club) national show is the first week in May, Fort Mitchel Kentucky - its a great way to go see some dogs and meet some breeders!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts