Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indy is not doing so well...the day before yesterday, Indy got into an area on our back patio(WAS out of reach...it got knocked down) that had egg crate foam mattress material stacked on it...(we are STILL unpacking!) he ate some, which we only realised when he threw some up yesterday...last night, he would not eat dinner(no big surprise) this morning, he still would not eat...we were thinking ok...we've heard of dogs doing this...we will wait for supper and try again...the old leave it down for 20 minutes and then take it up until the next meal thing...other then this, he appeared fine...loads of energy, etc...tonight, (dinner is in 20 minutes) he ate poop...had to be poop, because he then proceeded to throw it up on my carpet...and it smelled like poop...we are currently trying to offer some pumpkin with a bit of food mixed in it as he is obviously hungry now...we need to know what to watch for...if he eats and seems normal, I am assuming he's fine...but, I don't know if I should have him checked out anyway?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Ok...don't know what think!

Poor Indy, sorry to hear he's sick. Do you think he actually swallowed some of the egg crate?? Kinda gross, but was there enough in the vomit to nearly equal what was missing from the mattress?? If so and he eats/poops I would think he's ok. Hoping he eats some dinner and feels better soon!

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta and Bo get into stuffing from a pillow the cat scratches periodically...they may miss a meal...poop stuffing...has puked stuffing...and they get back to doing better within a day or so...if he starts eating in the next meal or so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aquagirl900\";p=\"67999 said:
Jetta and Bo get into stuffing from a pillow the cat scratches periodically...they may miss a meal...poop stuffing...has puked stuffing...and they get back to doing better within a day or so...if he starts eating in the next meal or so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you!  He ate dinner alright...we put some Pumpkin in it...we'll just keep watchin!:)

G

·
0 Posts
isn't it amazing what these dogs will find as appetizing?
Yuck..pillow stuffing and foam egg crate...yummm

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Ok...don't know what think!

DonnersMom\";p=\"67990 said:
Poor Indy, sorry to hear he's sick. Do you think he actually swallowed some of the egg crate?? Kinda gross, but was there enough in the vomit to nearly equal what was missing from the mattress?? If so and he eats/poops I would think he's ok. Hoping he eats some dinner and feels better soon!
Thank you...he finally ate dinner tonight...I think he's feeling better...we'll keep an eye on him. Good thing I have tomorrow off! :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DieselsMom\";p=\"68026 said:
Does that eggy mattress stuff expand though? You might rip a piece off, stick it in water just to test it. It may cause problems if it does. just my guess though.
I wondered about that...it doesn't seem to...I'm not sure...I think that he ate a pretty big piece...I'm still not real sure...he was playing with Pua...but now he's back to sitting on the couch with that look on his face that says "I don't feel good, Mom!"

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There is always a possible situation of having a blockage with eating something of this nature. It depends on how much he ate.  If he will eat and drink and keep it down that is a great thing the main thing is will he poop?  Or does his stomach feel hard and full.....The only thing that bothers me Jeanene is that you say he vomited and it smelled like poop...was it poop?  The reason is because with a obstruction that is one of the telling signs is they will vomit and the vomit will smell like poop.....

You can check on this by opening his mouth and smelling inside of it....if he burps or belchs go and smell his mouth if it continues to smell like poop or you have another vomit episode or he will not have a BM after he has had something to eat then I would have him checked probably tomorrow or the next day.

I dont want to worry you and he may be fine but watch for those signs and a raise in temp.....Rectal Temp of 103 or more!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Ok...don't know what think!(Sharon??)Update

Kelly said that now that you mention it, he saw Indy try to poop twice outside after dinner and he wasn't able to...I think we will call in the morning and see if we can go in and have him checked out!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Indy, Jeanene, I hope he's feeling better today.....Please keep us posted...Boy I tell ya, these babies just keep us constantly worrying

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Gosh, I hope Indy is going to be OK, let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Ok...don't know what think!(Sharon??)Phew!!!

Alrighty! Scared the livin daylights out of ME...but, Indigo is both eating AND pooping sucessfully today! Yea!  Last night we were really worried...he had his ears back all of the time and seemed really unhappy(although, I admit, he's our melancholy boy...so, it's hard to tell sometimes!LOL!) Anyway, he ate like gangbusters this morning and then went right out and pooped...Phew! Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers...we just scoured the backyard AND the garage and patio...there SHOULDN"T be anything else for them to get...but, guess what we found? Back under the trees in the corner of the yard(of course their favorite place) someone(not us, cause we haven't had any in the house AT ALL)left Walnut shells!!!  Lots of them...like they sat back there and ate em or threw em over the fence...I am guessing this is a left over thing from the previous owners...and I suppose it would seem harmless enough to them...but, I was pretty upset...they weren't easy to see, cause they sort of blend in with the dirt...but, those could have hurt a little Goat...oops... I mean Boxer!LOL!

Phew!

·
Registered
977 Posts
:D Phew!! Relieved he's ok!! I've been following your post from the beginning....You must have been stressing like crazy :( ! So pleased it's all ended well. Seems the poop breath was because he ate poop then :puke: ? In any case i've learned some important symptoms to look out for in the future...... 8O
p.s. Sure it isn't squirrels or some other little animal that's left the walnut shells?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear that all is well...I'm with Annette about the shells..We have both Hickory & Oak trees and the squirrels always drop the shells in the yard....Angel occasionally picks one up to toss around but never eats them

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am afraid he may have a blockage from the foam.  If he is throwing up it will be bile juices which
does smell like Poop.  I know this only cause I know a human that has bile blockages and when that happens and she throws up it smells of poop.  I would call the vet and get an x-ray in the morning.  Boy I hope everything is ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts