Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, those who have two??? Do yours sound like they are ferociously fighting and they are really just playing? Sometimes my two get going pretty good and I worry that they are getting out of hand - am I just being a worry wart (hubby thinks so)? Neither of them ever has hair standing or anything like that, it is mostly mouthing and growling but they are pretty loud and play pretty rough. Sam tends to pin Lucy down and he is very vocal. I ask other folks with two dogs if theirs play like this and for the most part, they say not to that extent. So, I am just thinking it is the breed. If I think they are too loud or getting out of hand, I tell them to settle or enough and they immediately stop.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
my lab and rott fight as if they are trying to kill each other but it is all for play... they basically gum each other to death and growl lol... I have to explain to ppl when they see it that it is just play

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good to know it's not just my 2 that sound like they are trying to kill each other sometimes!  :lol:

I tell them "play nice" and they look at me like, "What mom... we were playing nice?!?!"

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Our two fight and it sounds like there killing eachothers, but there playing.  A few times they have drawn blood, nothing major though.  Sometimes I roll up a magazine and smack it to get there attention and they calm down.

G

·
0 Posts
My two are totally ferocious sounding at times when they are playing...They look like two hippos going after each other!  Jetta I know is more rough than Bo...she will sometimes leave a cut or scrape...but she never is left with a mark....I know that I have read that when boxers play it can sound like a battle to the death...

We had a friend over for dinner and he has a pit mix...he saw our two fighting and thought we were crazy for acting like there was nothing wrong..he said if his dog was acting like that he would be scared to death, lol

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all - I guess it is true...I am a big worry wart!  :lol:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ours do that too.  You can usually tell when they are playing and when it is something more.  Ours growl and roll around all the time while they are playing but it is just play.   We can usually tell when the growl changes or if one make the other one mad then we stop them and get them interested in doing something else.

G

·
0 Posts
HMM I have 3 Boxers and a Fixed male Straffordshire Terrier the all get going pretty good and sometime sound foerce my wife gets scared. But they are infact playing by my eyes. Id watch for latching on to the coats to see for sure.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers are just plain vocal..Some more so than others. Angel is by far the most vocal one I have had and my first Woo Woo girl...When they are playing, oh yea, definitely expect it to sometimes sound like a couple rounds of WWF  :lol: Buck & Tia used to play really hard and friends would constantly ask me why I didn't break up their fight, had to explain that was normal....The key is, know your Boxer and their body language(check out the sticky topic regarding body language),,Yes, it may get vocal, sound like they are killing each other, but as long as you don't see the hackles going up, etc, let them play

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Willow! Lucy is still small compared to Sam and I don't want him hurting her but like I said, I have only heard her yelp like twice ever...I will definitely check out the sticky on body language - thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Harley and Dozer are VERY vocal!! Its the boxer breed. When they play, they get very loud, and you would think they are killing eachother, but that's just their way of playing. Just watch their body language to make sure that playing doesn't turn into something else. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all - just read Liz's sticky on body language - Excellent Information!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My two go at each other and sound like they are fighting to the death - taking turns growling and rolling and tumbling around the room.  This morning I walked in to find they had turned over the rocking chair - but the minute I step in and try and break their fun - they go right back at it.  I'm hoping that getting Sophie spayed shortly will help the mounting rituals.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kate - that is too funny! Do you notice that you can be anywhere in the house and they must do all that right under your feet? WTH is up with that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to agree with the others here my 2 sound like WWIII just broke out while playing, but after they end up snuggling up together.
-Rich

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am a new boxer mommy. I recently got 2 new babies storm & skye. They are both white and are both deaf. I have 2 older cockers and 1 of them is 12 yrs old and blind and a 9yr who is just
spoiled. I have a daughter & we are learing about the hyperness of boxers together. I would not trade any of the most of the time. Any tips would be welcomed

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ours ALWAYS sound like they are killing eachother(although Mic was a silent player until recently) but, we learned to watch for hackles and such...they are just noisy at play!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts