Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...we put the boys on Merricks...the bag has listings for different ages and stages...it's a bit confusing...and I don't want to overfeed them...does anyone else have the feeding chart around...and if so, what do you make of it? My boys each weigh in at about 51-52 pounds right now...they will be 6 months old on Saturday...at what point can I just feed them the adult amount and level off???

Here is a copy of the feeding chart
(maybe it's just me...but, their mention of toy,sm,. med, lg and ex lg threw me off...my guys will be med to large as adults...I'm not sure whether to keep raising the amount they eat or what? They won't weigh 100 pounds! I am sure of that!)
Daily Feeding Instructions

Toy
3-12 lbs.  Small
13-20 lbs.  Medium
21-50 lbs.  Large
51-100 lbs.  Extra Large
100+ lbs.  
Puppy 0.75-1.5 cups 1.5-2.5 cups  2.5-4 cups  4-7.5 cups  7.5+ cups  
Active Adult  0.3-1.25 cups  1.25-2 cups  2-3.5 cups  3.5-6 cups  6+ cups  
Senior 0.25-1 cups 1-1.3 cups  1.3-2.5 cups  3-4 cups  4+ cups  
Less Active/
Overweight 0.25-1 cups 1-1.3 cups  1.3-2.5 cups  3-4 cups  4+ cups  

For dogs over 100 lbs., add 1/2 cup of dry dog food for each additional 10 lbs. Adjust feeding level to your dog's individual needs. Puppies and nursing dogs may eat two or three times the recommended amount per day. Keep fresh water available at all times.

How much food your dog eats each day is dependent upon size, activity levels, stage of reproduction, and environment. When feeding in measured amounts, feed according to the weight of your dog. Use this table as a GENERAL GUIDE to determine how much to feed your dog.

Calorie Content
3520 kcal/kg - One pound provides 1600 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
with the rate of growth that boxers have you are probably ok to start feeding them on the adult schedule right now.  if you notice them being overly hungry still you can give them a bit more.  We always try to use the feeding tables as a guide...the best indicator is your babies themselves.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I personally dont really pay attention to the charts. With all my animals it is either too much or not enough. I base it off of the animal itself. If i feed 1.5 cups and the animal is still hungry then i start giving food 1/4 cup til i  know how much the animal eats. Of coures i have never had an over eater so that wouldnt work if you do have a dog that will eat if there is food. I guess i have been lucky in that sense. If they are at 6 months i would go ahead and feed adult rate food though, and just give a little more as you feel necessary

·
Registered
24 Posts
JeanenesBoogerBabies\";p=\"40932 said:
ty...the only problem is when your babies would eat everything if sight if you let them!LOL! It's hard to gauge when enough is enough! :)
I hear you on that!!  With this new food they would keep eating.....Penny (my smaller female) will stop when she has had enough..right at about 2 1/2 cups per day (Wellness)

Vegas on the other had would continue to eat if it taste good.

Since they refuse to eat out of seperate bowls I give them about 6 - 6/12 cups per day total

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
When I feed Ringer three times, he gets about 5 cups and still whines like crazy in the am.  When I feed him only twice he gets 4 cups and whines a bit and forgets before going to bed and whines in the am.  He is finally filling in with no spine or hips showing normally and was 68 lbs last week.  I take him for about a total of 60 minutes of walks daily and he burns around the yard for probably 10 minutes a day.  You can use that as a barometer if you want.  He does better on Wilderness blend than the turducken, btw.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Sharon! I feel much better! :) I am a rules person...I read lables like that and I wanna say "just tell me how much, dang it!"LOL!

Thanks, Dan...that does give me a good barometer! What a relief! Sounds to me like my guys are doing fine!  Wow...Ringer is a big boy! How old is he??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts