Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep I do go out in the yard with him ..........99.% of the time but I must admit I just put him out this morning it was 20 fricken degrees this morning. So ya I wimped out a little.  ya ya I know.
I did put up the puppy pads so no more of those.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I hear you.  Who wants to be out on the ice, freezing their butt off, waiting while all the sniffing goes on with no results.  I'm in Wisconsin, worst winter ever, and have to watch for coyotels that I hear are as big as wolves around here lately.  Silly pup just sits out there on his butt watching.  How could I explain a frozen butt to the Rescue?  Morning routine the guys leave, too busy to do their poop duty.  I'm out barefoot, at 15 degrees waiting, and waiting in a bathrobe,  then it's picking it up, so not to be eaten.  

So the solution is to wait for spring - is it near?  Find a place to run him, where pooping is a joy outside, along with leaving his scent.  The ideal place to poop or pee is a science. They seem disgusted leaving poop on paths, or in the open. He'll learn.  The top dog lifts it's leg the highest on the mailbox, and may be annoying about dragging you through the brush to find that special spot.  He'll find a spot in the yard safe to poop, maybe even near where the pooper scooper is.  

Ann WI

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
one mre thing...i believe was already mentioned. When he comes in if he hasnt done one of both of his "duties" put him directly back in the kennel. take him out right before you leave and he should go! keep us posted Jeff on how he is doing

·
Registered
220 Posts
Of all the dogs I have owned, Boxers are by far the worst/hardest to potty train and take the longest.  I really don't know why because they are one of the smartest breeds.

Scott

·
Registered
913 Posts
I can sympathise...Ashley at 16 weeks tommorow has been accident free for many weeks, but I have the luxury of being a "stay-at-home puppy mom". But to let you know how these dogs think, she has been in a bedded area next to my bed since day one, held in by a baby gate. At first, I just KNEW if she woke she couldn't make it to the door, as it seems just walking stimulated the peeing. so, even at 25 lbs I STILL carry her when she wakes up.
Well last night was the first night of actual freedom for her, she even went and got on her little bed by herself, and right to sleep. Now, keep in mind, she will hold it for 8+ hours on a regular night, but low and behold...2 hours of sleep, I hear her get up, and leave the bedroom ( "ah-ha..they forgot to put the gate up!!" )....with me right behind her..she got to the door, put her foot up on it ( Mommy let me out noise ) and squatted with me two steps away. Ok, so now I know...nope I can NOT trust her yet....<sigh> Oh well..she is a BABY still...I have to keep reminding myself of this although she far from looks baby any more...oh well..I have to give my self the hard time over this..she just was doing what Puppies do....Thank goodness for paper towels, and carpet cleaner!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
:D Hear you.
It took me about two months to get Zoe toilet trained. My last two dogs, both boxers, took about that much time to get it. We live in an apartment, so there isn't a garden I could carry them into when they began to squat. :D But as Rowling once wrote: Constant Vigilance. That is the key. I had to sort of keep tabs on when each would want to urinate or poo - mostly it would be after food, but then with zoe it is also immediately after playing. So i would carry Zoe into the loo and sit with her patiently. If she wouldn't go then I would keep a sharp eye on the tyke - the moment she would begin to buckle her legs, up she was carried and rushed into the loo - all the while saying, "No." :D 'Course, at times it would be a line of pee from wherever she decided to descend to the loo - but in a few weeks she understood.

Boxers are quite intelligent. :) When the course of her initial vaccinations was ended and the vet okayed me to take her down, she revelled in the romps - but didn't pee downstairs and would come up and do so - in the loo! :D It took me another month or so to train her to use the trees. It's a long story - but keep at it - I am certain it'll have a happy ending! :)

G

·
Just so ya know...Jetta has at least 1 accident a week still..granted right at the back door at the bell...but she is 7 months old.  Bo has 1-2 a week still at 1 year old...you have some work ahead of ya!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thankfully Buster was quiet easy for potty training.  We took him home at 11 weeks and we starting with crate training immediately.  I would walk outside with him EVERY time and encourage him to go while outside, but not praising him until complete, often rewarding with a treat.  When he was caught doing "bad" inside i would firmly say NO and get him to stop by the tone of my voice and carry him outside and again reward him for doing his business outside.  After 16 weeks he would alert us by pacing at the back door, so we added a Christmas bell to the back door handle.  Everytime he went outside we would take his paw and ring the bell then take him out, repeat above process.  Finally at 18 weeks or so he would alert us by ringing the bell when he needed to go out.

Most times (please i mean no offense), but it is not the dog who has teh potty problem, but rather we the adults who missi the puppy signs.  immediately after playing drinking or eating they have to go.  if you witness sniffing or circling they have to go.  Buster is 8 months today (woohoo) and he has only had 2 accidents within the last month.  1.  he got a bath and drank more water than washed with :) and 2.  he recently had a stomach ailment and had an accident can't blame him on that, we all get sick.

sorry for the long winded reply, but try taking your pup out immediately after any indoor exercise/exertion (including 11:00 mad dashes around the house, and after feeding

HTH
Brian

21 - 29 of 29 Posts