Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
homes...does anyone know of a type of grass that stands up to multiple dogs??  Granted, we moved in during the winter, and the place had been empty before we moved in, so I don't know how well the lawn was cared for...but, it's a mess now...and I am hoping we can find a way to seed it, or something productive...I just don't know what kind of grass would stand up to that kind of traffic anyway???  I hope someone has an answer...we want them to have lovely grass to play on and lay on and such...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Re: Ok...so, here is a question for all of you 2or more boxe

Sorry, I don't have any good news for you.
Most of the yard looks okay, but there is a mud runway from the side door to the back yard!
I researched last year and searched garden forums, but everyone said the paths dogs use will always be dirt/mud.
A fescue mix is probably your best bet for the yard though, it forms dense mats and seemed to be one of the more high traffic grasses.
Once you put down the seed maybe you can take them out on a leash or something until it germinates and gets going?
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah...that is what I am hearing...summer will help...especially because I am going to have most Fridays off...and also, there will be quite a bit of daylight after I get home each day...so, we could go to a park or something rather then run the back yard...I'm gonna do some research, too...I see that ryegrass takes rather quickly and is pretty durable...I feel like doing the whole yard in astro turf!LOL!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Astro turf would be your best bet hah!  If someone could invent real dog proof grass they would be a billionaire.  Let's get busy on that one!
Maybe you could put sod down instead of seed.  That takes alot better and they help pack it down with all their running around.  That's usually how we get our lawns.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Well, being in the south, we have St.Augustine grass.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't grow where you are.  St.Augustine is very sturdy and hardy, and itchy! :lol:
Anyhow, sorry I'm no help.  But I do agree that sod would be better than seed.  But it costs more. :roll:

·
Registered
441 Posts

we have a figure  8 pattern where our pups run....we just bought some lawn repair but it hasn't actually made it to the backyard yet!!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts

clover works well I hear, but I am too worried about the bees to use that soley.  After raking mine I do believe I MAY have a nice glassy lawn afterall.  4 pups, 3 of which are boxers REALLY play havoc on your lawn...oh and plants...I have 2 that think they have GREEN THUMBS...not!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol Jeanene, yea keeping a nice lawn seems to be a practice in futility with Boxers...Our meetup co-ordinater has a great lawn, but I notice it even has some wear & tear..I never did figure out what they were doing..we are re-seeding with Centipede, it's slow growing and Marq seems to feel it might work, but we shall see...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts