Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do I do! Tucker absolutely REFUSES to walk away from our building. He will go outside and does his business, but it takes a good 15 minutes to get over to the trash where you throw the poo away, when in reality its only a 5 minute walk. He just stops and sits and absolutely refuses to move forward. Now he has started to turn back towards the building and just whimper, whine, and now howl. In the morning he seems to walk away from the building easier, but at night he just wont move. He will walk fine towards it even at night. And he walks perfectly out in public and out at the farm.... I dont know what to do? He also walked around the entire complex this morning, but again at night just refuses to move. I thought he was cold, so he is all bundled up-- still no change...

I'm going to sign up for puppy classes, but I want to wait until after this semester is over(next week is my last week of classes, then I will probably have about 2 or 3 more days the following week). Next semester Im done by 3:15 every day, or earlier. (I want to start them while on my 3 week break from school, then continue them during the first few weeks of the following semester.

But what do I do for right now? Ive been just standing and waiting, no pulling, but he seems to just be stubborn. He will just sit and whine, or turn around and face the other way and whine. Again I dont pull, I dont understand how to get the point across. He will not eat treats outside at night either, so I have no way other than say "good boy" to get the point across. He wont even try to chew them, loves them inside and everywhere else however.

(only edited for spelling mistakes-- nothing added)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
something you could try is to walk away from him...still holding the leash and in an excited tone of voice say come on tucker and make it seem like he will have a great time if he comes with you.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Maybe he's afraid of the dark.  Can you carry a flashlight?  And he's still really little, maybe just give it some more time.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ok, here is what I would do.   Take the best treat in the entire world for him.   When you get to the point where he does not want to go any further.   Take out the treat, (do not give to him) and walk holding it so he follows.  As he is doing this, say a command like "Lets go", praise him, give treat.   Then take out another and do the same thing.  

This way his attention is on you and the treat, and not the surroundings.   I teach my dogs "Look"  so anytime I say look, they are looking at me regardless of the surrounding.   It works great when I am doing their heel, or if we are walking by a big distraction (other dog)I just say look, and they do, as they walk right by.

Takes time and patients esp with a young pup, but keep at it, and it will be fine.  Give in to the fear, and you will not overcome it:)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as hannabanana just did, so ditto that!  :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) thanks guys! I will have to experiment and find a treat that he absolutely can not get over! At the vet the other day he just gobbled down the cookie she gave him, so ill have to call them and ask what those things are called!

He just seems to not want any type of treat outside at night, wont even try to eat it-- but cant get over them inside the house! I do think he is a scared of the shadows, I will try a flash light too.

He was great this morning! I was supposed to wake up at 5:30, have him out to go potty and in to eat by 6-- then he would have an hour to play before I left the house at 7 to get the kids I nanny ready for school. I only have to do this when the mother is away on business. Well.... I guess I set the alarm clock, but did not turn the actual alarm on! I opened up my eyes, looked over at the clock, and it was 6:55!!!!! (so he actually slept an extra 30 minutes today, and I still had to wake him up even after I was up and dressed) I called the mother and told her and guess what! he went baby sitting with me this morning! He was such a star and the kids absolutely LOVE him. He we walked him up to the bus stop and he was a little star on the leash, even chasing after them hehe. I think it was a nice surprise for them, and I think they are going to be talking about him all day at school today! (they are 8,8, and 10)

We got home by 9 and he is still asleep (its about 11am now), which is a-ok with me! Im going to finish eating then go wake him up so we can go out to his favorite place--- the farm! :)

Thanks again!!! You guys were right, this site is such a big help! And its also comforting to be able to talk to people in the same position as I am in (or people who were in the same position)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
When we first brought Tyson home, he would not go on walks EVER.  I think he was just really scared.  We did the treat idea suggested above and we just had to teach him that everything was ok.  He loves going on walks now!

G

·
0 Posts
awwww...will their mom let you take him more often? that would be great if he could babysit with you...definitely give the kids something to do...you could use it as a responsibility/gentleness lesson...and you'd get to spend more time with your baby

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just wanted to check in and say everything seems to be getting better at night :)

this is all I have time for but the leash has been getting easier and easier since he's been going out to the farm-- we practice out there a lot and at night too :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts