Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/size]

Yikes...yesterday I started putting Indy in time out(he's 13 weeks old yesterday) whenever he showed aggression... just a few minutes in the half bath down here...the first two times he completely freaked out...pooped everywhere....but, after that he calmed down and would just whine some...my concern is that I am trying to show very clearly who the leader is...but, I am realizing how OFTEN he was behaving as if that were his position...I wasn't aware of it...I knew that he was being mouthy...but, not how often until I learned that it was aggression...now it seems as if I am having to put him in there for time out a LOT...and this morning, both dogs started peeing in the house again...Mic peed on the couch while I was putting INdy's eye drops in...it almost seemed like a protest...I have taken great care to be very matter of fact about it all...not behaving big and scary or loud at all...just "no!" and time out...I know he's making the connection...but, is this just a resistance because it's been let go, or am I doing something wrong??? And, what else can I be doing to make this clear, besides putting him in time out...I certainly want to get the message across that I am the leader BEFORE he gets any bigger...

Help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Jeanene---

Sry I didn't get a chance to reply to your pm, but I'm glad you posted this o the forum so everyone can learn from it.

What you are seeing is stress related behavior.  Let's take a different tack with the time outs and instead of using the bathroom, as I originally suggested, and try it in the exercise pen.  This way they can still see each other, which will reduce their stress.  

Also, you, in enforcing your position as leader, are changing the "pack" dynamic.  This will cause, in the very least, some stress.  You are doing very wel and shouldn't see this as a setback in any way.  It sounds like they are getting it, but are stressed out by the suuden change in dynamic.

Keep your head up and keep working on it.  I'm proud of you for what you are doing for your puppies and Lilly is sending them9and you) calming vibes and slobbery Boxer kisses!!!

Let me know if you need more help.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!  I want to do what is best for them...and I know that with Boxers(or any big dog) it's a whole different deal...you must make sure they know who's leading, or you can run into some serious trouble...(you can just pick up a small dog and deal with things)I just didn't realise that his "mouthiness" and such were aggression...or I would have addressed it earlier.

Ok...so, the exercise pen...alrighty...Mic was getting even more upset then Indy about Indy being put in the bathroom...I felt so bad...he's such a gentle little guy...I think we are mending though...they are both sleeping on me now...and we've only done a couple of time outs today...Indy was still whining...but, much calmer in there today...I think the stress is probably mostly due to the dynamic change, as you said...so, I will stick with it...calm and matter of fact!

Thanks again, Liz...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
MicnIndysMom";p="18440 said:
I just didn't realise that his "mouthiness" and such were aggression...or I would have addressed it earlier.
quote]

Can you explain what you mean by this?? What and at what times were they doing it???

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sure Sharon...I was in quite a hurry to get that typed and couldn't think of a better phrase...but, we aren't just talking about "Boxer talk" but, rather his response to correction...or just moments when he seemed to get in a "mood" and he would lower his head...look right at me and grumble and bark and refuse to be touched or to come when called...if I say "no" or tell him to come when he doesn't want to, he behaves this way...Liz said this is aggressive behavior and needs to be addressed...I did not realise how much it had been happening until I started to address it...and both dogs reacted to my addressing it...he was pretty much in the "leader" position...not me...or at least I wasn't firmly in that spot...in fact, when I first started this I had times when he actually tried to bite me(not play mouthing) in response to my correction...he is responding more positively now...starting to acknowledge that I am the leader...I can see a change in the way he looks at me...literally...

When he first started doing this...he was only 8 or 9 weeks old...everything seemed cute at that point, you know? I had no idea what he was telling me...then as time went on, I could tell he was (as I told Liz) "The dude with the tude!" He seemed sassy...and moody...it wasn't until I read the article on body lingo and talked to Liz that I really understood what was going on...I am sure grateful for the help! I want these guys to have the best possible chance at being well behaved and beloved animals in our neighborhood, you know? :)

Thanks for asking...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Its actually not just aggressive behavior...its dominant aggressive behavior...Addressive the aggression will help address the dominance and  the dominance as well as the aggression HAS to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Oh okay...thanks for explaining.  I was curious because I always say the Fiona is talking back...But I think hers is more just boxer talk. She grumbles and barks when we are playing or she wants to play.  The only other time I notice it is when her water dish is low and I start to fill it up she will bark and make all these strange noises like "its about time" kind of thing.... She has never backed away from me or acted like she did not want me to touch her, lower her head or anything like that.  If anything she is more submissive to us.  She will roll over and belly up to us if she thinks you are scolding her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts