Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
I feed Premium Edge puppy to Jake.He loves it and its kinda inexpensive.When I figured up the amount you are supposed to feed compared to say kibbles and bits,the Premium Edge was actually cheaper and they poop less.

· Banned
2,318 Posts
[quote="Beckhams2ndmom\";p=\"49228":1x9p9b19]Beckham is on Merrick's Wilderness Blend and absolutely loves it.

· Registered
7,721 Posts
Hmm..I think the easier question would be what didn't you feed?  :? When I rescued Maddie she was eating Iams. Switched her to Blue, Pinnacle, and Solid Gold. All gave her runny poo and itching issues. Switched to Canidae. She did wonderfully on that, firm poo and no more itching. But, she stopped eating it.  :(  So, I'm still in search of a new food. Let's see, so far after the Canidae I've tried Timberwolf Organics Elk, Timberwolf Organics Bison, Both of which she would not touch. Tried Timberwolf Organics Blue, she ate that but it gave her acid reflux. Now she is eating Merrick Grammys Pot Pie, but she won't eat it at all if I don't add some egg, sardines, or yogurt in with it. So, while at petsmart this morning to get some ear cleaner, I browsed through the food section. I remembered a thread where Kiahsmom and SharonL had been talking about this food, Pro Plan so I actually picked up and bought a bag of pro plan sensitive skin and stomach salmon formula food. I never in 100 years thought I would buy a bag of purina. I stood there examining the ingredients and they aren't bad at all. So...I think I will start the transition with tonites dinner and pray that she likes it. I think if she doesn't like this, or doesn't work for her, I am just going to do home cooking. Shhh...don't let her know that!  :wink: If it does work for her I think I owe Kiahsmom and SharonL a huge thank you!

· Registered
359 Posts
Like I said, that's all my greyhound could eat.  Tried much more expensive foods and they gave him the trots.  Went back to Pro plan since that's what the lady I adopted Max from said she fed all her greyhounds.  He ate it up and had firm poops.  Lamb and rice was all he could eat, too.  Tried chicken and it gave him gas.  Couldn't eat the sensitive formula, either.  Tried switching him over to the senior formula when he got older and he went back to running us out of the room with his gas.  I would never guess it to be a Purina product if it didn't have it right there on the bag.

· Registered
7,721 Posts
Hmm...I'm wondering if I bought the right formula now. I bought the sensitive skin and stomach because of all the itchies she had. Chin, ears, and paws. Well, I just hope she likes it and it agrees with her. This food search is really frustrating.  :?

· Registered
11,430 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"49316":3py8niey]Hmm...I'm wondering if I bought the right formula now. I bought the sensitive skin and stomach because of all the itchies she had. Chin, ears, and paws. Well, I just hope she likes it and it agrees with her. This food search is really frustrating.

· Registered
359 Posts
You may have better luck that I did with the sensitive formula.  I just know it didn't agree with Max's stomach.  Didn't have any skin issues with him so can't say how it is in that respect.  And I always mixed 50/50 for a while to get him used to the new foods.

· Registered
839 Posts
We feed Harley Science Diet. He was started on it and we have kept him on it.  I have not tried him on anything else, because we have had wonderful results with the Science. His coat is so shiny and soft, and he is growing really good on it. I have also given him some cornbread on the side. He loves it, but it makes his poo-poo kinda soft.

· Registered
97 Posts
Yep folks this is why my next dog will be a Mutt!No food issues to deal with.You give a homeless stray dog a piece of wonder bread a day and he is damn happy to have it!Just kidding .You are right the food search can be frustrating but is worth the payoff when you find the right one.

· Registered
381 Posts
Bumpy\";p=\"49352 said:
Cornbread? Really? Corn is an allergin.

Corn gets a bad rap, and it's misunderstood.  Is it an allergen?  Well I'm not exactly sure at what level something becomes an allergen, but there are a handful of other foods that are common to cause dog allergies including beef, dairy products, chicken, wheat, chicken eggs, and soy.  I don't see anyone running out and saying "don't feed your dog chicken, it's an allergen".

These 8 foods:  milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (walnut, cashew, etc.), fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat make up 90% of all human allergies.  Should they be considered "allergens" and therefore not feed to humans??  If a human has no allergic reaction to the food, no problem right??

If someone wants to say that corn is a cheap filler product that isn't a required part of a dog's diet, then I'd agree.  Because it's definitely cheap and dogs would have no problem living without it.

And bumpy this wasn't meant to be directed at you, just trying to provide some info since I think there is a big misunderstanding.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
Cornbread might be all right, I wouldn't feed it because it really doesn't have much nutritional value.....but hey if they like it, maybe its a good treat.  What I'd really ditch is the Science Diet!  You might as well just feed your dog a bag of doritos

· Registered
11,430 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"49369 said:
Does anyone know what would be the best food when dealing with a puppy w/ almost constant loose stool?
What works well for one puppy may not work with another which is why we all have had different experiences with foods.

· Registered
780 Posts
After trying many foods to get our Teaki to eat we found Bil-Jac and have both of ours on it.  They both LOVE it and Teaki can't wait to eat and she can actually keep it down.  They are both doing great on it and have beautiful coats.  It is listed very poor food but ours are doing wonderful on it, no bad breath and no gas!  :D

· Registered
3,730 Posts
Tried several, Innova all life was good but got a little boring, Timberwolf ocean blue did wonders for his coat and nails but he wasn't too thrilled at meal times. We're feeding Merricks Wilderness Blend with a little warm water for gravy and Donner is CRAZY for it. :D He's been taught to sit and wait for "OK" before eating and it's all he can do to sit and wiggle at the same time. He goes after it so quick I may have to try a ball in the bowl to slow him down!! He hasn't had this response to anything else, I think we have a winner!

· Registered
3,937 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"49316":3koi9d29]Hmm...I'm wondering if I bought the right formula now. I bought the sensitive skin and stomach because of all the itchies she had. Chin, ears, and paws. Well, I just hope she likes it and it agrees with her. This food search is really frustrating.

· Registered
4,661 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"49369 said:
Does anyone know what would be the best food when dealing with a puppy w/ almost constant loose stool?
We have tried all the foods out there..well not really but it sure has felt that way. Purina One Chicken and Rice was the ONLY food that Reese (now 10 months old) could eat and have firm stool. every other food out there gave her loose stool

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.