Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a good quality food for my boxer.. i found the food i want to use.. but was told i needed to buy large breed puppy??? is this true or do i just buy puppy??

confused there :roll:

and i was also told by a friend of mine to feed my boxer a scoop of baby formula powder over his food once a week or month not sure which he said... is this true as well???

enfimill.. i think is what formula he said to use.. and only the powder.

i didnt wanna do this until i got a second opinion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im putting him on nutro ultra puppy food.. he is 9 1/2 weeks right now... i just was afraid to buy it because of my friend saying only to get large breed formula.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Any dog over 50 pounds is considered large breed. Boxers are technically a medium sized breed but large breed foods were created to encourage slower and more even growth. Puppy formulas tend to have more protein and fat in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some of these joint problems and issues later on. The large breed puppy foods are made to help slow down the growth by formulating them with less protein and fat. Personally i have never used a large breed formula, always used an all stages dog food. What kind of foods where you looking to switch to? Or should i say what are you able to get in your area? below i pasted a link to the foods rec

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... 59ommended for your boxer.

As for the formula i have never heard of using it, so i have no clue what to tell you on that

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for foods in my area.. ive looked and looked for my cocker spaniel a high quality food .. and the only.. I DO MEAN THE ONLY food i can get here.. is nutro line products.

im looking at either

nutro ultra or nutro natural

·
Registered
491 Posts
i never id look into nutro, but I am sure it is good food. Just make sure there is not a lot of fill like corn, etc....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Here is a link to the sticky in the Forum called Grade Your Dog's Food.  It lists the things to look for in a good food and things to watch out for as well as the actual grading of a good number of dog foods currently on the market.  Another place I also check out is the FDA's site on recalled pet food as I want to know what kind of track record the company producing the pet food I use has.  I try and look beyond the marketing claims and check out what's really there as far as ingredients and the protein and fat content.  Many dog foods are full of useless fillers and just plain junk a dog system just doesn't utilize.    

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2063

As far as putting baby forumula in your dog's food, I've never heard of that so can't offer an opinion.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
have you checked the local feed stores? that is where i get our food. we feed Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul for our oldest and Purina One chicken and Rice for the youngest :) i have tried both the nutros you listed and my oldest loved both. My youngest has a tummy that is very picky and every food we have tried for her has given her runny poo, Purina is the ONLY one that keeps her stool firm.....and we tried over 8 different brands. My oldest though can eat anything and it doesnt bother her.

IMO i wouldnt get a large breed food. but that is a personal choice

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Stick with Nutro Ultra, and puppy version has 30% protein.   A little high in my book so I would just stick with Nutro Ultra adult.

Becareful on the Nutro, Nutro Ultra holistics is what you want, not reg. Nutro or Nutro Natural.

http://www.ultraholistic.com/adult.shtml

26 % protein, on a puppy I (IMO) would not go about a 26% protein.  If so, then I'd be on a grainless kibble like that has 28%.

GOod Luck!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You did not say how old your puppy was, but the thing with the formula is a myth there is no reason do do that. On your food I would say an all stages food or to compare the label of your puppy food to a large breed puppy and check the protein amounts.  As Southern said the Large breed is designed to slow down the growth by formulating them with less protein and fat.  Looking at the list for Ultra Puppy it is 30% Protein and the Large breed puppy is 32% so that is really not alot of difference either way.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nutro ultra is what i feed my cocker spaniel... so is what i was leaning toward with harley...

he is 9 1/2 weeks old.. how long do i give him puppy food??? i put my cocker on adult formula at age 7 months my vet told me to go ahead and switch him over..

but what about harley..? do i wait til he is a year old

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would use the brand that I liked above.  Its Nutro Ultra Holistic adult ( not puppy no large breed).  Its 26% protein much less than any of the 30s.

New pup fed three times a day until about I would 6-8 months go down two two times a day.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i feed sumya royal canin large breed puppy food.i feed her large breed food because of her weight she is 7 months and 50 pounds already.she also has had alot of stomach issues and this seemed to do the trick

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Royal Canine Large Breed has 32% protein and corn, so IMO I like grain free and less protein for a young young pup, but if its working for you, then thats good:)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
the main thing is no corn and no by-products.

We fed Henry large breed puppy till he was 11 months old.  Now he is on regular dog food, not large breed, because he is only 58 pounds at 14 months.
Nutro Ultra (don't know about holistic) has corn gluten in it.  We feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice.  It has no corn and no by-products, and Henry's tummy seems to like it a lot!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Brandi\";p=\"45847 said:
okay if im uderstanding the posts .. i put harley on ADULT formula??? at 9 1/2 weeks???????? :?:
No I would not use adult food at 9 1/2 weeks. Either a puppy or all stages formula.  If you want to use Nutro Ultra then I would use the puppy and not the large breed because of the protein amounts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts