Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
11,430 Posts
I feed Purina Pro Plan Salmon and Brown Rice (no corn), it is the only food I found that Kiah can eat with her sensitive stomach.

· Registered
8,205 Posts
The new sensitive stomach and alergy one is pretty decent.  I think its the only formula from purina without corn or bi-products, but dont quote me on it.

I did however just but some food that I cannot find around me at www.petfooddirect.com   The food was about 6.00 cheaper than what I currently get, and only 10.00 for shipping, so no all that bad.

Its good for those who have no other outlets to get some good stuff.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i looked at the rate your dog food thread.. and i think im going to stick with nutro ultra... 25 bucks for a 20lb bag around here. not much difference in the price.

but now the problem im having is that when i brought him home i didnt know what he had been eating and i had some puppy chow here from my neighbor and he took the runs... soooo

do i switch cold turkey.. or what???

ive only had him for 4 days

· Registered
2,134 Posts
To avoid stomach upset it is recommended that you switch as follows:

Week 1 - 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old food

Week 2 - 1/2 new food mixed with 1/2 old food

Week 3 - 3/4 new food mixed with 1/4 old food

Week 4 - All new food

Hope this helps!

P.S.  I agree with Andrea - you should check out the tractor and feed stores - they often carry good brands.

By the way did some checking and found the following:

1.  Timberwolf Organics offers free shipping anywhere in the continental US (lower 48 states) on all orders over $15.00.

2.  Merrick - Free Shipping in Contiguous US!

· Registered
893 Posts
I recently put my 5 year old on wellness weight management and he loves it. It has less than 10% fat and no corn or byproducts. my puppy is 11 weeks old and she is on pinnicle all stages another lo fat no byproduct food. Since Ekim the 5 year old has switched to wellness he has smaller and less bm's.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well i took harley to the vet today ... he was 100% no cold.. nothing.. he got his 9 week shots and more in 3 weeks... he even got free frontline and heartguard and all kinds of free goodies for being suck a good boy

he weighs 16.9 lbs..  8O  im worried this is waaaay to heavy for a 10 week old puppy but they said he looked fine. just if i was worried to cut back a little on his feedings.

he was even neg. for worms.. YAAAAY.

anyway while i was up there i decided to go to the feed stores and supply stores.. really guys the only food here is nutro ultra.. lots of foods that say they are natural with no by-product but are just about all corn and wheat.

sooooo

we came home with the nutro ultra puppy food.....so cross fingers all.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
yeah i think pro plan is good.. i used it at first with my cocker spaniel..  

however i saw a food today while doing a search for my boxer that said on the front no by-products.. and i almost got it but decided to read on and on the ingred. list in plain sight it said chicken by-product. so we got ultra.

and i am completely out of his old food and refuse to buy a bag of puppy chow so i just switched cold turkey today.. harley LOVED the nutro and so far so good.. but my vet gave me something for him in case he gets upset stomach cause of the food change.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
i read the ingredients on the back too.  It looked good, don't get me wrong i'm no expert at all.  Our vet told us to use Iams in the very beginning and we were using Eukanuba which is the more expensive iams i guess.  So I guess it just depends.  We are looking more to boost his immune system because he has demodex and we are trying to help the main problem (his immune system).  Duke loves anything you put in front of him, he would prefer our food, but he doesn't get that lucky, you should see him when we eat dinner (we eat at our coffee table in front of the tv) he lays under the coffee table and stares up at us, with this look, like why are you neglecting me.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
hahahaha we eat at the coffee table as well.. the kids eat in the kitchen table.. but harley will do the same

as i said pro plan is a good food i think.. toby did pretty good on it

· Registered
1,194 Posts
We have a table but we only use it for a storage place :)  Plus we really don't have much to say, so if we sat there at the table we would just be staring at each other (we've only been together for like 3 years, can't imagine what the rest of our lives are going to be like).  We are boring :)  Is it sad that the only thing exciting going on in our lives are our dogs?

And I'm glad someone else says that they think pro plan is good.  We don't really know.  Tabs is easy she just eats purina adult, nothing fancy but Duke has to be difficult  :lol:

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
no not to boring.. brian and i have been together for a bit over a year.. we do talk.. but  most of time just hang out with my kids and the dog. we met online 3 years ago and he helped get me away from an abusive relationship/marriage... he is the wonderful man who brought harley into my life.

so dont think you are boring.. some people can hold a whole conversation just looking at eachother and a smile. lol

i like to think we are a bit like our dogs in that reguard :roll:

· Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Hanna's opinion, Royal Canine Large Breed it's too much protein for a boxer pup.

Brandi... if you really want to give good quality foods to your dogs and you can't seem to find the brands you like near your home, just try to buy online, there are several direct deliverings from the manufacturer or places line www.onlynaturalpet.com where you can get premium foods, schedule delivery and also get some other great natural supplements

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.