Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola has never been a chewer....she's never chewed the furniture, or wires, or our shoes or anything.  As I've mentioned before we've been trying to ease her out of the crate, it was working well at first, but lately she's been a menace!  

Two weeks ago it was the Tylenol, gauze pads, band-aids, etc.  Last week it was our taxes!  Yes, we got our taxes done, they came in the mail to sign and send back, and she ate them...destroyed them!  What a phone call to make "um, our dog ate our taxes could you send us copies"....the guy was laughing so hard he couldn't breath!  But, we learned not to leave ANYTHING on the coffee table or within Lola's reach.  Well my bf just called........he just got home from the gym to find a mess.  We're doing a ton of work on the house so we've designated one room upstairs as the "work room"..... after never going in there or touching anything for months Lola decided today that that would be her "play room" while daddy was out.  I guess she went up there and dragged everything that she could down the stairs . . including, but not limited to: paper towels, a box of screws, sandpaper, sand blocks, and paintbrushes 8O   Is there anything in this list that sticks out to keep an eye on her because if she swallowed it she could get sick?  There was no paint on the brush as far as I know.  

My next question is....what is going on with her?  Why all of a sudden is she destroying things?  Should we start kenneling her again whenever we are out?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S.  She's also taken up the habit of poop eating?!? :-&   I feel like I'm dealing with a weeks old puppy and not a 1 year old!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
She still getting out and getting her exercise!?? That's the only thing I could really think that would be causing the issue. Though yeah... I would start crating again because she can't be trusted alone. Wish I was of more help but wow... if it happened with Odin... first thing I'd do is crate... then try and figure out what the underlying issue(s) is/are. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Was the box of screws open?  That could cut her insides.  IMO she needs to go back in her crate if she's not behaving.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It could be that she is experiencing a bit of separation anxiety.  Would it be possible to set up a web cam or something and go somewhere to watch her?  If she starts destroying things as soon as you leave she is having anxiety about you leaving.
How long is she left alone at a time? I would start just like we do with the crate- leave her for a couple seconds and come back in, increasing to minutes and hours.  If she ever chews up something or seems anxious move back a step or two.
Does she have a kong or other enticing toys while she is alone?
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote="g00dgirl\";p=\"87183":j0xwbf49]It could be that she is experiencing a bit of separation anxiety.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...sounds to me like Miss Lola is going through puberty!  :lol:

I would start putting her back in the crate until she can be trusted once again. Maddie will occasionally find a magazine or one of my kids toys and destroy it, but nothing too bad anymore, and she will be 3 this month.  :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mastray\";p=\"87177 said:
She still getting out and getting her exercise!?? That's the only thing I could really think that would be causing the issue. Though yeah... I would start crating again because she can't be trusted alone. Wish I was of more help but wow... if it happened with Odin... first thing I'd do is crate... then try and figure out what the underlying issue(s) is/are. Good luck!
We try.  I haven't been walking her as much as I do in the summer because it's cold out and by the time I get home it's dark and yes I'm a wimp! lol!  Plus I've tried to walk her a few times, and most rude people don't shovel their sidewalks so I'm stuck on the street. . .which is filthy with broken glass & stuff.  I've noticed that people just don't take care of their properties as much in the winter as they do in the summer.  Last time I walked her it was like an obstacle course....over the snow, in the street, around the glass, past the dead squirrel, around the beer cans.  I got so annoyed!  

We did just fence in our yard so she's been out there more running around, and if it's nice out we do take her to the park.  But all in all, sadly she hasn't been getting that much exercise.  So do you think that's the underlying issue?  

We've looked into doggie daycare to put her in once or twice a week, but I just don't trust those places.  And the place I do like which is where Kash and Bruce go is way too out of my way to drop her off in the morning.  It'll be better once the weather warms up.  I'll walk her everyday and have play dates in the backyard.  In the mean time I think I'm going to have to suck it up and find "clean" places to walk her whenever possible.  And have major burn sessions in the house!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Alica, I tried to do the same thing with Kiah that you did with Lola at a year old.  If was fine the first few days and then everyday there was a bit more of a mess.  I decided that she wasn't old enough yet so I plan to try again over the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts