Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING This might be a bit of a long post.

So, about a year or a year and a half ago, my boxer lost her closest friend, who was our oldest. After losing him, she went through a very sketchy period where she wasn't eating at all, to the point where I literally was coaxing her to eat bread, steak or anything that I could cook that was dog-friendly. After months of that, she finally began to eat her own food again, but it's very irregular and in very small portions. This has led to a substantial weight loss and she is very susceptible to heat and cannot be active/outside for lengthy periods of time. She is 5 years old, so she's getting up in age, but I didn't think we'd have issues with her not being able to keep weight; on the contrary, I thought we'd have to worry about her being overweight. Does anyone have any tips or advice they could give on what to do? She drinks plenty of water, but her eating is off. Should I attempt switching her from regular dry food and transition her into wet foods? Should I try maybe adding in some dog-friendly flavoring (chicken broth, etc)? Is there perhaps some safe medicine she could take that'd induce hunger? I'm really just trying to ensure that she remains as healthy as possible since, as I said before, I believe it's the weight loss that has affected her ability to be as active as she once was and she cannot endure heat like she used to when we're out on walks or going to the park.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.