Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read other inquiries and replies on this topic and I'd like to have your opinions/ input on our 4 year old boys. They are both from the same litter. (We did not know about the litter mate possible issues and we have been lucky I guess that they are well adjusted).

We have the AKC documents although we have never registered our boys as they are our babies and we never intended to breed them. We met and have photos of their mom and she's a fawn American looking boxer- maybe around 70#. We have pictures of their father too. I can't find info on the internet from their dad's name & breed to know if he may have some European Boxer in him. Their dad has a very broad chest and is pretty big boy- I'd say at least 85# or more.

Our boys in comparison to other boxers we have seen, including our new baby Bandit, look like they may have some European boxer in them. Especially Tundra (fawn) with his deep and broad chest. Tundra and Jax (brindle) weigh between 85# and 90#.

We love our big lap dogs and regardless of their lineage we would not change them.

My husband and I have discussed our curiosity and we'd like to know your thoughts..... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
The easiest thing would be to go online and register them and get a pedigree.. then you will have at least some info on them.. Again, it just depends on what you want to do.

My thoughts.
I mean this in the nicest possible way.. and I know everyone is different.
But your dogs weight that much because they are fat. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with pups that have a little extra weight, but they look like that could lose a good 15 pounds easy.
To me they look like a taller, overweight American line boxer.
I now this sounds bad and I truly apologize if it offends you but just wanted to give you a honest opinion.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Register them and get a pedigree is going to be your most definitive answer. To me there heads look to broad to be full on American Line Boxers??? And even if they lost 15 pounds??? I can't picture them having the tight tiny waist and deep chest my girl did???

To me they look more like they have this kinda mass??

Cliff vom Grand Kevin

And I had seen Euros online that don't have the tiny waist and deep chest. But then same breeder as Cliff from three years ago ... this seems to be happening with the Euros???

Boxers von Bachbett- Working German Boxers

Much less mass it would seem, sooo what's up with that???

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with bte2. Your gorgeous babies could benefit from losing a good 10 lbs.

As for pedigree, can you share the names of the parents? I personally don’t see any European bloodline but it might be further back.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Aw well American Lines or not, those dogs still have a mass similar to "Cliff vom Grand Kevin???"

But his new "Euro's" seem to be leaner??? I find it "confusing???" Pick a type and stick to it I say. BYB American Line Boxer's certainty can't be a "type???"

Conformation is not my thing but I'd have challenged one of the broad faced short muzzled guys to a Bunny Rabbit Chasing challenge in the high desert in 90 degree heat with my longer narrowed muzzled all American girl.

Bet I know which "type" Boxer would say.

First, Struddell used to chase rabbits for hours, in the high desert heat, I never gave it a second thought?? Most likely my bad but it never seemed to be a problem??

But yeah 10 pounds over weight rather than 15, I would give that some thought. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aw well American Lines or not, those dogs still have a mass similar to "Cliff vom Grand Kevin???"

But his new "Euro's" seem to be leaner??? I find it "confusing???" Pick a type and stick to it I say. BYB American Line Boxer's certainty can't be a "type???"

Conformation is not my thing but I'd have challenged one of the broad faced short muzzled guys to a Bunny Rabbit Chasing challenge in the high desert in 90 degree heat with my longer narrowed muzzled all American girl.

Bet I know which "type" Boxer would say.

First, Struddell used to chase rabbits for hours, in the high desert heat, I never gave it a second thought?? Most likely my bad but it never seemed to be a problem??

But yeah 10 pounds over weight rather than 15, I would give that some thought. :)
The dogs posted don't have the build of the dog you're using as a example.
For one cliff has a thick muscle body, bigger head and bigger bone structure. The pups above don't have a heavy bone structure, more typical of the American lines (IMHO)

Not that the dogs in OP aren't great pups! I'm sure they are. It's just to me they don't look like a typical euro boxer.

As to the new euro type.. I haven't seen it. I think you may be talking about the regional differences.
If you look at UK boxers they tend to a little lighter, more a americanish
While German boxer still tend to have that heavy bone structure.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The dogs posted don't have the build of the dog you're using as a example.
For one cliff has a thick muscle body, bigger head and bigger bone structure. The pups above don't have a heavy bone structure, more typical of the American lines (IMHO)

Not that the dogs in OP aren't great pups! I'm sure they are. It's just to me they don't look like a typical euro boxer.

As to the new euro type.. I haven't seen it. I think you may be talking about the regional differences.
If you look at UK boxers they tend to a little lighter, more a americanish
While German boxer still tend to have that heavy bone structure.
Hmm regional thing?? I'm not being anal??? Just so you know. :)

But I do wan t to understand what the deal is here??? Something seems to be happening?? To my eyes your current dog and that is not the best picture. :)

Seems to look a whole lot "learner" and yes he is pretty much what I have seen with the 50/50's for the most part.

But if we just stick to "Boxers von Bachbett" kennel, the dog's he has now do not have the same kind of mass that "Cliff" had??? Cliff passed in 2014 and now three years later his dogs are much leaner??? I find that confusing???

I understand this would be a question that would be better explained by him then you. But you are here and he is not. :)

But for everybody else that is not aware of this site, here you go.:
BOXERS AROUND THE WORLD

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm regional thing?? I'm not being anal??? Just so you know. :)

But I do wan t to understand what the deal is here??? Something seems to be happening?? To my eyes your current dog and that is not the best picture. :)

But if we just stick to "Boxers von Bachbett" kennel, the dog's he has now do not have the same kind of mass that "Cliff" had??? Cliff passed in 2014 and now three years later his dogs are much leaner??? I find that confusing???

I understand this would be a question that would be better explained by him then you. But you are here and he is not. :)

But for everybody else that is not aware of this site, here you go.:
BOXERS AROUND THE WORLD
My pups is a very lean 62 pounds. Once he is fully matures he will be a trim 75-80 pounds.

As to cliff. I think you're to stuck on one specific dog. He is the only one I've seen in their kennel pics that has that kind of mass. If you take the time to look at the rest of there males, both before and after I think you will notice the cliff's sizes was the "exception" not "rule"
As a example from there own site.. and this was basically the same time as cliff
Irco vom Weiten Land

If you want a broader view of working boxers just google Atibox Champions images.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does my boxer look like a Euro? I did not know there was a difference but because I am in Europe and my dog was bred here would she be a Euro boxer?

Here are some pics. I have also added a picture of her friend (pictured looking really happy in her crate)

thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Well, IMHO there are 2 different answers.. the first would be: there just isn't enough working boxer in the US for most sport trainers to evaluate. It would be the same thing if they only saw show GSD (and thats also why alot prefer mals)
The 2nd is boxers just mature later especially in body.
I went to a seminar last year that had one of Germany's top sport dog trainers.
Basically his opinion was working boxer don't have any problem doing the same work. The difference is GSD's and Mals physically mature earlier. Which means they are ready for the work sooner. And if you're selling dogs (which alot of trainers do) they can be sold as working dogs earlier.
It's a pretty good answer and thanks. Yes not a lot of Working Boxers out there ... in this country at least??

But slow to mature, that would explain a lot especially if one started with a GSD or a Mal first! The I don't have time for this crap is "literally" more true than I realized!

The Cane Corso that I spoke of ... was at least three years old before he started the PPD, stuff. It was one year of him being a tool, then one year of formal obedience training before the PPD stuff! That owner did manage to find a GSD Trainer, that had that kind of time. :)

I did not know about the maturity thing?? Since I'd always done only "Bully" breeds. But my first "pack fighting, human aggressive OS Wl GSD, was the only dog I ever routinely walked off leash, on neighborhood walks??

But with him ... I kinda sorta knew that he was aware of his surroundings and had a clue??? With my Struddell, I just not never got the sense that she was aware of anything??? So on neighborhood walks ... I did the thinking for her. It made no sense really as I could stop with her with a "NO" or a "Stay." And she routinely ran free in the open desert?? But it's what I did, on leash only in the neighborhood.

Oh well, now I know and it would take a "Boxer" guy to explain the difference between a GSD and a Boxer for "Sport Dog Stuff." Most of the GSD folks just figure why bother.

Just get a GSD and call it a day, they only give ground to Mals, with great reluctance for the most part. One of my favorite trainers there is a Mal guy!
Mondo ring stuff, he has two Mals and a Mal/GSD cross. And he says the cross, is kinda of a handful. Thanks for the insight. :)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
My pups is a very lean 62 pounds. Once he is fully matures he will be a trim 75-80 pounds.

As to cliff. I think you're to stuck on one specific dog. He is the only one I've seen in their kennel pics that has that kind of mass. If you take the time to look at the rest of there males, both before and after I think you will notice the cliff's sizes was the "exception" not "rule"
As a example from there own site.. and this was basically the same time as cliff
Irco vom Weiten Land

If you want a broader view of working boxers just google Atibox Champions images.
LOL well I do tend to get stuck on stuff. :)

I suppose if you can have Over Size GSD's Rocky was 116, you can have OS Boxers also???

The guy you posted does have the tiny waist but he's got a pretty big head! I could work with that. I like big dogs and I had my sights set on being a Dogo Argentino, guy but I got caught up in "Boxer" madness through APBT/Boxer crosses and a pretty freaking brilliant easy to train lot there but I digress. :)

But "Cliff" lol, I always use him as back up on GSDForum. If your a Boxer guy (and it's clearly known) you tend to get a lot of flack there at times???

And lot's of the hard core trainers are on there and one of them is "Pirates Lair" that would be this guy.:

And one of our exchanges "Boxers" got mentioned and he said they were kinda "Skinny and Insipid" or words to that effect. And I said Oh, well what about Cliff vom Grand Kevin??? And posted the link and he said "OK" now that's a dog! :)

And sure my Struddell was not a "Cliff" but "Goofy" as the American Line Boxers maybe these days. They still heil from "Dog of War!" :clap2:

Yet another book I read from long ago, can't remember which one?? But it was said that when the Boxers first arrived on American shores after WWll, those original dogs were thought to be fierce to be let loose on an unsuspecting American public. So they changed them and today we on our shores we have the "Clown Prince of the Dog World" and we luv them. I have no idea how "Goofy" became a "breed characteristic??" But I say it's worked out fine. :)

So to me body type not withstanding, the Euros are WL GSD's in a Boxer suit??

I have never meet or worked with a full Euro but I have worked with a couple 50/50's. Only males ... and they did have that "aloof" bit for a few seconds in anycase but they seemed to get past it quickly! Now that's in contrast to my, Struddell, who never met a stranger she did not like, just about uh ... instantly!!

Now despite that ... it turns out she was also an excellent watch dog??? I failed to heed her warning late at night and well stuff was stolen??? She was better trained than I realized and she recognized a this crap is not right situation when she saw one! Aww well live and learn I suppose, my bad. :cry2:

But I suppose my point is the "Boxer" can do it all! One just has to pick the right line for the job at hand. I even know of one "Seeing Eye Boxer" from more than a decade ago! It was on TV and I nearly fell off the couch!! I'd not seen another one since??? But there was that one. :)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Does my boxer look like a Euro? I did not know there was a difference but because I am in Europe and my dog was bred here would she be a Euro boxer?

Here are some pics. I have also added a picture of her friend (pictured looking really happy in her crate)

thank you.
Well if I say it enough, sooner or later I'm bound to be right but she looks American Line to me. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The easiest thing would be to go online and register them and get a pedigree.. then you will have at least some info on them.. Again, it just depends on what you want to do.

My thoughts.
I mean this in the nicest possible way.. and I know everyone is different.
But your dogs weight that much because they are fat. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with pups that have a little extra weight, but they look like that could lose a good 15 pounds easy.
To me they look like a taller, overweight American line boxer.
I now this sounds bad and I truly apologize if it offends you but just wanted to give you a honest opinion.
No, I'm not offended. (I think you worded this nicely so that if I did get offended easily, I would not be offended). I appreciate your honest feedback.

Our boys are on a diet. The vet recommended they lose 5- 10 lbs. Between food changes and the weather here finally cooling we are seeing some results. We want them smaller for their normal health and to avoid any leg/knee issues.

It's good to know we could find out by registering them if we were so inclined.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Register them and get a pedigree is going to be your most definitive answer. To me there heads look to broad to be full on American Line Boxers??? And even if they lost 15 pounds??? I can't picture them having the tight tiny waist and deep chest my girl did???

To me they look more like they have this kinda mass??

Cliff vom Grand Kevin

And I had seen Euros online that don't have the tiny waist and deep chest. But then same breeder as Cliff from three years ago ... this seems to be happening with the Euros???

Boxers von Bachbett- Working German Boxers

Much less mass it would seem, sooo what's up with that???

Chip18 thanks for the links and feedback. Such cute (big) boxers.
I'll try to get a pic of their Dad and post it.
We had a rabbit get into our backyard a few weeks back and at first I thought Jax was chasing a squirrel. We don't usually have other critters in our yard so it caught me off guard at first.

If you asked Jax, that was probably the best chase experience he's had...usually it's other boxers playing...

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, I'm not offended. (I think you worded this nicely so that if I did get offended easily, I would not be offended). I appreciate your honest feedback.

Our boys are on a diet. The vet recommended they lose 5- 10 lbs. Between food changes and the weather here finally cooling we are seeing some results. We want them smaller for their normal health and to avoid any leg/knee issues.

It's good to know we could find out by registering them if we were so inclined.
Awesome! I've had over 100 boxers through my house and joints can be a real problem. It's always better to be on the lean side instead of the overweight side. It's always good to try to get a 20 min. walk if you can.
Green beans are always a good filler as well, along with some fruits :cheers:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Chip18 thanks for the links and feedback. Such cute (big) boxers.
I'll try to get a pic of their Dad and post it.
We had a rabbit get into our backyard a few weeks back and at first I thought Jax was chasing a squirrel. We don't usually have other critters in our yard so it caught me off guard at first.

If you asked Jax, that was probably the best chase experience he's had...usually it's other boxers playing...
The only downside to that is that they will chase but now you know.

Rabbits, Squirrels and Cat's can show up anywhere??? People that have cats are actually lucky as they have the ability to properly train No chasing small creatures!

Your gonna have to be careful on walks as the creatures listed above can pop up out of nowhere??? A properly trained "Stay" and the ability to remember to actually say that command can save your dogs live's. :)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
We have squirrels and rabbits occasionally in our yard too, so far Kai hasn't chased any of them. I think I have a very unusual boxer. But I will still be careful.
No that does not sound normal??
I got lucky with Struddell as I did train her to see a bu chase a bunny in the open desert. Only had an issue once (another story) but at that time we never encountered Bunny's on neighborhood walks???

But this year there were bunny rabbits everywhere??? She would have been on leash but I don't know what she would have done??? On leash meant no pulling for her. But it would have been interesting, to know what she would have done if there were bunnies on our local walks???

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree whole heartedly with bte2. Your gorgeous babies could benefit from losing a good 10 lbs.

As for pedigree, can you share the names of the parents? I personally don’t see any European bloodline but it might be further back.
Thanks- we think our boys are beautiful.
I'm not sure the Mom's full name w/o the docs (they are home) and we think she looks more American boxer. We only know her as Bella and the Dad is Cherokee Chief Clyde Thomas. (I know these aren't the proper terms for male/ female canine parents, it's how I think of them).

I have a couple of pics of them I'll share on this thread.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts