Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sick. I saw it go down, and though it wasn't as bad as it could have been, I'm completely ticked. He was laying on the floor playing with a water bottle and Claire (DD-she's 4) was on the floor with him. Though he is not the cuddler, he is very Ok with the kids giving him a hug or playing with him. His body lanuage is always fine...good ears, hackles, tail, all ok. He gave her no warning, (that I could pick up on) just reached behind his back and got her on the upper portion of her arm close to her back. He has had issues from day one, of course, DH thought nothing was wrong, just puppy play. That's because his "buddy" that we got him from (note the hint is BYB) said his dogs were just like that as pups and that was fine. (in my defense, I was told before hand "yeah, they are papered, healthy, blah, blah, blah). Come to find out mom dogs temperment is medicore at very best. AGHH. He's in a time out, daughter has an ice pack on (the cure all for everything :) ) and is fine, but we have worked sooo hard with her NOT to be afraid of dogs, she was bit a couple of years ago by a Shitzu. We finally get her over it and he bites her?!

We have been working so hard with him too...fear aggression(our biggest problem), but we thought he was doing so much better. I guess he needs to go to the vet to see if there is anything wrong physically, a trainer here said he was the worst case of fear aggression in a pup she had seen(Ky...Michele) and asked if he had any issues such as a brain tumor, I told her we didn't know, but right after that things starting looking so much better. I just don't know what to do... Today has been so horrible, baby is sick...again, DS (6yo) took his first dose of Ritalin (adhd without the H) and got sick from it, headache, lethargic, pain down one side of his entire body and kept asking me why I gave him that pill...talk about guilt. I'm flying solo today because of DH schedule, won't see him till midnight. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm so sorry about the biting!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
So sorry you're having a rough time.  Maybe Eddie was just playing.  Puppies have a tendency to bite without warning when playing.  Was he growling?  Was she annoying him?  If it seemed out of the blue, it probably was just playing.  But I'm no expert that's for sure!

Hope things get better for you! :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Rebecca, how scary...Definitely take Eddie to the vet to rule out any medical issues...From what you are saying tho, this almost sounds genetic which isn't good, but a good behaviorist should be able to help you...I am so sorry sweetie and having your son getting a bad reaction to meds as well...I dont' know much about Ritalin, other than the nephew used to take it, but I think you got some good advice in that respect...Hoping things get better for all of you...Lots of hugs going your way :)

G

·
0 Posts
what a horrible situation for you today!!  if you have a crate, put the puppy in the crate in a quiet room for awhile to give you and the kids a break.  or if you have a fenced yard, the weather is good - put him out there with food and water, but visit him often.

i would definitely get him vet checked.

wasn't it Ky____ (i forget her username - the dalmation disquise dogs mom!) that lives in HI and said that it's hard to find a well bred boxer there?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It must have been so scary for your daughter to be bit again, hope she is going to be ok and not frightened.  I agree with Willow about Eddie.  So sorry your son is having problems with his medication.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww I'm so sorry you went through this today! I hope your daughter isn't too traumatized from the second bite. I agree about getting Eddie to the vets and also maybe calling a behaviorist. I'm sorry about your son having a bad reaction to the Ritalin, did he have an empty stomach? And is lethargy listed as one of the "normal" possible side effects? I hope you have a better afternoon hun. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
91 Posts
SORRY TO GET OFF TRACK ABOUT THE BITE, BUT I CAUGHT THE PART ABOUT THE RITALIN. WHEN MY SON WAS IN FIRST GRADE, ABOUT MID WAY THREW, THE TEACHER CALLS ME FOR A CONFERENCE. SHE SUGGESTED MEDICATION. MY SON WAS NOT HYPER, HE WAS NOT UP RUNNING AROUND THE CLASS OR ANYTHING, BUT HE WAS HAVING PROBLEMS JUST SITTING DOWN COMPLETING A PAPER AND HE WAS EASILY DISTRACTED AND COULD NEVER GET BACK ON TRACK. HIS HAND WRITING WAS ALL OVER THE PAGE. BUT HOW GOOD IS A FIRST GRADER SUPPOSE TO BE RIGHT? I WAS AGAINST MEDICATION AT FIRST, THOUGHT THE TEACHER DIDNT WANT TO DEAL WITH A KID. BUT HE WAS GOING TO FAIL FIRST GRADE FOR SURE. I TOOK HIM TO THE DOCTOR, AND HE TOLD US HE HAD "ADD" KIND OF LIKE ADHD BUT WITHOUT THE "H" FOR HYPER. HE PUT US ON A DRUG CALLED "FOLCAN" (THINK I SPELLED IT RIGHT, DONT HAVE THE BOTTLE ANYMORE). VERY LOW DOSAGE. ONE A DAY, IN THE MORNING. NOW BE WARNED THAT BY THE TIME THE KID GETS HOME FROM SCHOOL, THE AFFECTS HAVE WORN OFF. SO YOU DO NOT GET TO ENJOY A CHILD THAT IS PAYING ATTENTION TO YOU.LOL. THERE WAS NO LETHARGIC SIDE AFFECT, NO LOSS OF APPETITE. NO NOTHING. I COULDNT TELL THE DIFFERENCE. BUT THE TEACHER COULD. WENT FROM VERY LOW GRADES, TO A'S WITH IN A WEEK. HE BROUGHT HOME HIS HANDWRITTING PAPERS 2 DAYS LATER AND I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. IT WAS BETTER THAN MINE. HE WOULD REMIND ME IN THE MORNING TO GIVE HIS PILL. HE LIKED IT THAT HE WAS IN CONTROL OF HIMSELF NOW. THANK YOU FOLCAN

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Tough situation!  Sorry to hear about it.  This is why I believe nipping of any kind has to be stopped even from day one, if it's tolerated it just gets worse.  You can blame that one on your DH!!  Sadly the part about the mother's temperament makes it even harder, you're up against even a bigger challenge.  I do believe that all puppies need to be supervised with children at all time, because they all have the ability to nip if the child upsets them.  I actually have had problems with my friends kids, they had no problem leaving their young kids alone with Oggie and I had to lecture them and say yes he's a great puppy, but he's just a puppy.....he could nip!   But it sounds like you were right there, watching as you should....so really other than correct him, what can you do.  I don't have any real good advice but I can only imagine the stress you're going through, once you rule out medical issues I think everyone's suggestion of a behaviorist is a good idea.  Maybe Nano or somebody on here will have some good tips.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. My daughter was not alone with him, they never are, not even the oldest. That is how I saw it happen. Mostly because he likes to get into trouble when I'm not around (shoes, rug, whatever he can get his mouth on), but I've seen some nasty bites before and had a couple myself (my parents had a kennel and bred Old English Sheepdogs). If I even have to go upstairs, he is crated or outside and Lenny comes with me, he's my ghost. Eddie's mom is certainly the side from which he gets his temperment. After I told DH about this he said he just found out that she might be pregnant with another litter, this was her first heat since Eddie. I guess the kids in the house let them out at the same time after school, not thinking. I'm thinking that this is the last thing this island needs, another Eddie. Yes, both Ky and I know how hard to is to get a decent boxer here. If we are ever in a position to get another while we are here, I probably will  have to do the same as Theresa and wait till the pup is older and avoid the strict quarintine and have one shipped. I could have my dad keep them and ship when the pup's ready. I love Eddie to death and fairly certain the average person would have rehomed him or even worse, but I need him checked out ASAP. Even with me around he still bit her. BTW, I'm 97% sure he was not playing, he KNEW he was in trouble as soon as my gaze fell on him.

I woke extra early this morning so I can take him for a extra long walk today as we are too busy later to get any decent exercise. I'm gonna make him too tired to do anything but chill today. We have a couple of Little League games, 2 B-day parties and tonight is my bunco, so he is going to be home alot today, I don't want ANY pent up energy.

As far as the Ritalin, the Child Pysch started us at the lowest dose and only to be tried when he was at home for the very reason of what happened- to watch for side effects. I'm gonna hold off till Monday before I give him another dose and call the doctor first. I hated seeing him feeling so bad. He is not hyper just distracted like Dkennedy's son. Schoolwork and homework suffer, so this was the next step. I'm thinking of homeschooling him though next year. If he can get through his work at home where it is quite, maybe he won't need meds? Doc ran this by me yesterday, but I've been thinking the same thing for a couple of months now. We'll see.

Thanks again everyone for your support, I let you know if we find out anything about Eddie.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I'm sorry your having a rough time. I hope that you can figure out why Eddie is being aggressive. Hopefully whatever bad temperment qualities he got from his mother, with a good behaviorist you maybe can overcome them

And I hope that this medication works out for your son. I haven't had to put any of my kids on it. But the running joke in our house is that my 3 yr old son will need it one of these days. He's just a mess! Lol, but I'm waiting him out! See if he grows out of some of this hyperness.
Keep us updated on how they both are doing!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I'm sorry your having a rough time. I hope that you can figure out why Eddie is being aggressive. Hopefully whatever bad temperment qualities he got from his mother, with a good behaviorist maybe you can overcome them.

And I hope that this medication works out for your son. I haven't had to put any of my kids on it. But the running joke in our house is that my 3 yr old son will need it one of these days. He's just a mess! Lol, but I'm waiting him out! See if he grows out of some of this hyperness.
Keep us updated on how they both are doing!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ok Eddie first...he has overcome so so much in a short time..id email Michelle asap..tell her what happend and ask her advice..and monday most def go to the vet..he may have some past issues also..with a mom thats snappy im sure he learned young it was ok to be that same way...you have done a wonderful job with him...i hope you dont feel like you havent...the change in him in the past 2 months is remarkable.. right away get to Michelle...maybe you can even call her? i dont know..

add..both my younger brothers went through alot with it and ritalin..my mom is friends with a doc that wrote many of the books on it and did many seminars...dr john ratey partner dr hallawell (sp?) ..before pulling him away from the socialization of school maybe speak to the SSC about a skills trainer? person hired and paid by the DOE to be like his teaching aid..but they are JUST there for HIM..no one else..it keeps him in a regualr class but gives him the one on one to stay on task..Diari has this..even though its for autism and to keep him in main stream normal classes its the same concept..keeping them on task and keeping up while giving them a one on one that they need..be glad to help you out if you wanted to talk about that with the school..i am on the board at tripler for efmp and helping parents get the services they have the right to and that the child needs...go to iep meetings etc..

sweetie..i am right down the street..please let me know if you need anything...i know it all gets overwhelming and sometimes we just need to vent or even scream haha...go up to mt tantalus and scream over the railing  :D  :wink: i HAVE done this...lol..

if you need a break we are going out to barbers tomorrow..why dont you all come and let the kids just run around and let off some steam..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Oh my, what a day you've had. It sounds as though you already have a plan so I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and hope it all works out for you and the family.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rebecca, I am so sorry about this. I have Michelle's number if you would like to contact her. My number is on the www.boxerclubofhawaii.com site. I hope it all works out. That is too bad that Hawaii is going to have another BYB litter. The sad part is that people will jump on it since people around here are so desperate for a Boxer. Anyway, I too live right around the corner if you need anything. Dog park is close too, if your babies need to let off some steam.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Find a good behaviorist ASAP and one that is certified, not just claiming to be one.  Also checking at vet for any health issues.

Nano

1 - 16 of 16 Posts