Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG just 5 minutes ago my 17 week old puppy almost got knocked over by a speeding car!!! i opened my front door as i came back from my walk with my oldest dog rocky and she ran out..and it just so happened a neighbour had opened our building door also and she ran out and straight onto a busy road!!!!! i honestly thought she was about to be a goner!!!!  :cry: i screamed CHELSEA and she stopped on the road and ran back towards me!!! any tips on getting her to not run away from me?!? what sort of length of rope could i attach to herh as i practice RECALL??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah i know what you mean. Zeus did that when he was about 9 months old. That was the fastest I had seen Zeus run when he was that old and my cousin that lived with me at the time came hauling booty down my street and i screamed for him to come back and he turned and came back to me while i ran after him. I told my cousin if he would have hit Zeus while he was speeding then i would have put him in the hospital and he told me he was sorry and never sped down my street again. I couldnt stop shaking for a little bit i was so scared i had lost him that night.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use a 6 to 20 foot lead to teach recall.  I start with 6 ft and as they get better at it I lengthen to 20 ft.  WOW!!!

Sounds like you managed to scare her straight though.  They can hear the panic and fear in your voice in situations like that and sometimes that is enough to stop them in their tracks.

I'm SOOOO GLAD your baby wasn't hurt!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
780 Posts
So glad she wasn't hurt.  That would have been horrible to see her running into the traffic!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is one of my biggest fears is that somehow Kiah will get out and run into the street.  I am teaching her to wait until I tell her it is OK to come out.  Hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly only sits at a curb if she's tired.  Her command at the curb is wait.  I learned real quick that she responds better to wait.  She is a typical Boxer in that she is always alert.  Having her stand at a waiting and ready position has already saved my life (right when I had started to think about phasing out wait and enforcing sit.).   Don't think I'll be changing that one anytime soon!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
Glad she's okay and nothing more happened!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah im really glad nothing happened!! every time it hink about it i get upset! i think she must have seen the lady that was on the other side of the road hence why she ran right onto the road!! i only just started learning chelsea to wait at the road the night before. i tried learning my rotties to sit at the kerb they take to long to sit so i just tell them to wait and they do until i tell them to cross...mind u that is on the lead god knows if they would listen to the command off leash.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That sent chills all down my back when I read this....I am soo glad that Chelsa is ok. I know it probably took you a bit  longer tho...Read thru my post about teaching recall, it's in the training section and I'm sure Lillyzmomma would be more than happy to offer any help you need...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Oh Boy!  I'm glad it had a decent outcome!  We use a 25' retractable leash pulled out all the way and locked in position.  My two numbnutts still do not do well with it though!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink did that before when she was about 9 months - my nephew opened the front door and she just legged it - straight onto the main road where a van missed her by about 1.4 seconds.  My friend Aoibheann actually had to go to the top of the road and stop the traffic while her boyfriend and I tried to catch Tink - of course, she thought this was a GREAT game.  It took us 13 minutes to catch her.  I reckon the whole episode has taken about 2 years off my life expectancy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Im sure that was scary. A few days ago I heard that Jessies brother got hit by a car and died. I feel so bad :(

·
Registered
342 Posts
Haylee hit a car once.  The neighbor's cat was in our front yard and one of my kids went out the door.  The dog bolted out after the cat.  the cat made it in front of the car and my dog hit the car in the driver door.  The people kept going, they probably didn't want to deal with a dead animal....  Thing is the dog was fine, car probably not so much....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts