Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY boxer is 8 months exactly and is right around 53 lbs.  in my neighborhood there are at least 10 other boxers...  my dog is around average compared to most at his age, but many neighbors say   "ohh he is a little one"   "hes small for a boxer" etc.  although  he is alittle shorter than most how much bigger realistically is he going to get.  I realize that breeders and litters have alot to do with it   but what can i expect with my dogs current weight and age?  his dad was a big thick chested dog(probably 80 lbs).  i have been reading alot of people on here saying 110 lbs. is  a direct result of bad breeding so what is target height and weight according to today's standard, because i may be misinformed but i believe boxers ,at least, used to be considered a large breed dog and weighed in on average around 95-100 lbs.  i have read multiple places that boxer will get taller up till about a year and gain weight to 3 yrs.  now obviously i understand he wont grow at the same rate as he is now but is this template somewhere in the ball park  or not???  i love my dog and im tired of saying hes only a puppy...

maybe i am misinformed  i am new to all this but absolutely love the breed and i will never own any other dog.  sorry if this has been discussed a million time i am a newb.    :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I believe AKC standard for a male is 55 to 65 lbs; they can weigh a bit more if they are exceptional in confirmaiton.  I did talk to a breeder recently that said their female was close to 70lbs so they would never be able to show her.  She had wonderful conformation but is bigger than she should be to show.  

I don't rememer reading that Boxers were ever considered to be a large breed always a medium breed; I could be wrong.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers have always been a medium breed dog....The AKC standard says height to be for males 22 1/2" to 25 inches. However, taller Boxers are ok if they are in proportion....Weight should be about 70 lbs, but that as well as height goes back to genetics...Boxers continue to grow heigthwise til about 18 mos, then they will start filling out....When you see incredibly tall Boxers or Boxers that are upwards of 100 lbs or more, that is not meeting standard, again genetics...Check out the official ABC site and it goes into a lot of detail regarding this

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Myy boy is about the same/age and height.   I thought he was underweight myself, but I realized he is pretty tall (24 inches at the withers) and he still looks "little" to me.  I think its just how puppies look because their muscles aren't developed and they haven't filled out.  They all develop at their own rate, and slow gradual growth is actually the healthiest for the long run....so you shouldn't worry at all.  And like everyone says, they aren't supposed to be big dogs.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a one year old male who is only 22" and 50 pounds.  I don't expect him to get much bigger than 55 to 60 pounds or so.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
As said.....The AKC standard for them is available but genetics of your particular dog will have bearing on the size....I think that because they do not "fill out" until later in age that they look smaller because they are lean...when really they are not as small as people may think.....If you find pictures of Odin on here he is a good example to me of how he has began to "fill out"...he went to the long leggy looking stage and now he is getting his big man look to him!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Unfortunately, there are increased risks with larger dogs, and people's lust for oversized boxers does not lend it self to healthier dogs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Deuce was 5 months and a week exactly last monday and he weighed 44 pounds at the vet.  She told me he will be between 70-80 pounds and possibly close to 90.  He came from a small litter though and was the largest of the litter.  We got to the dog park every day too for 1-2 hours so he can pay so I know he isn't over weight either

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Muscle mass is part of their weight.  I think it was around two that our Boxer really started to build up muscle.  He ended up to be 72 lbs, not a tall dog, but a muscular boy.  We gave him a tremendous amount of exercise, but not until he was older.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts