Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I feel very fortunate that I'm not here posting about a major health concern, but I do need some advice if anyone has any suggestions!

Up here in the frozen tundra of Northern NY, we've been dealing with temps in in the teens. Humidity is running very low, under 40%.  Tucker's skin is so dry that it has been flakes (like dandruff) coming off him.  I know that sometimes dry skin can become a chronic problem.  Does anyone have this problem?  And what was the remedy?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Winter dry skin happens.  Best to increase or start to use if you dont fish oils.  Salmon oil or sardines added to their kibble helps replenish the essential oils in their coats.

Do you use anything like that already??

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I feel for poor tucker. My skin gets so dry in the winter too! Maybe I should start putting salmon oil in my kibble..I mean dinner too?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ha ha - Salmon oil is only one way to get the Omega-3 fatty acids and Omega-6 fatty acids that help in coat oil replenishment.  Ifs its all over - adjust the diet and add in the supplement above.    However if its an isolated dry itchy spot, you can use something like bag balm.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Also, make sure you don't add to the problem by bathing too frequently.  I used to add corn oil to my greyhound's food when he got flaky skin.  I'm using fish oil with Cooper and it seems to help quite a bit.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Along with the suggestions above, another thing you might want to try is getting a humidifier for the room he is most frequently in

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I always like NutriCoat, it's made by 8in1.
And it smells better than the fishies.  Just a little squirt over the kibble.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Britneysdad\";p=\"69938 said:
[quote="Bumpy\";p=\"69841":bogp54ro]Eggs are also a good source of Omega's.
We use to feed our lab raw eggs over kibble and this really helped his coat for the water.  Is it alright to give to boxers as well? If so, does it depend on age and what frequency would you recommend?

Thanks[/quote:bogp54ro]

Yes can you do this with boxer pups? Or only adults?

·
Registered
780 Posts
We give a Vit E gel tablet to ours each morning and they have amazing coats.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions.  We just started using the humidifier (for both him and us - hubby gets nosebleeds when it gets too dry), but it doesn't make that much of a difference.  We aren't bathing him at all.

I had heard about eggs and Vitamin E, but thought that those were only for the coat itself, not for the skin?  

I haven't ever given him fish oil.  Now for the dumb question - where would a person obtain fish oil?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Any dog with a healthy immune system can eat eggs. Raw eggs, shells and all. But shells will get picked around by some.

Fish oils is available at healthy pet stores, online, health food stores.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Decided to try the lavendar baby shampoo this weekend...Bruce always gets hives within a day after a bath and we figured it was because he was more sensitive due to the lose of oil, so I really loved the idea of a nice gentle baby shampoo for him.  Hubby also wanted to try out the baby oil (much to my chagrin)

so Saturday afternoon he got a bath with the baby shampoo, then I lightly dried him with a towel and gave him a nice rub down with the lavendar baby oil....with him still being damp it was easy to spread around.  About an hour later he was ready to take a nap so I wiped some paper towels over him to make sure he wasn't going to be transferring oil onto anything and they were clean...so now I'm psyched...my baby is all sorts of soft and man does he smell good, hehe.

Also picked up some fish oil, though I'm still trying to figure out how much he should be getting a day

1 - 14 of 14 Posts