Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been to the vet for one thing or another nearly EVERY WEEK with Beckham.

a month ago it was a cold, then it was another cold, then a little eye infection, and now?  He has this MAJOR PROBLEM with pulling on his leath when he gets too excited.  this, of course, leads to him making a hairball-related noise off and on for a while during the day.  

Is this normal for him to keep making this noise??  Has anyone had this happen before?  He'll do it until he sounds hoarse, which he's doing this morning.  It's almost like he feels like something is caught in his throat and he's trying to clear it.  We've brought him in for this before, and they didn't really say too much about it.  But my girlfriend brings him to work so its hard when he's making these awful hacking noises.

She and I are just so concerned and so TIRED, to make matters worse totally off subject, my dad tried to kill himself a few weeks ago and is in the hospital, which is only adding to the stress.

I feel like it's rediculous to bring him into the vet AGAIN for this.  And Morgan is going to start getting in trouble at work for leaving, and I have to visit my dad in the hospital today so I can't take him.  And if we do, they say its nothing!

Any advice on this whole weird throat thing would help.  We were also told NOT to use harnesses/gentle leaders for boxers due to lack of control?? I'm just at a loss here.  Thanks all. :)

:bshelp:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I know it can be difficult with your first puppy, but try to bear in mind that you don't have to bring him to the vet for every single little thing that seems wrong with him!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I second the harness idea.  It takes the pressure off the throat and gives you better leverage in controling the walk.

Also on the walk, don't let him lead you.  you are the leader - YOU lead.  make him sit before going in or out the door and always make sure you lead the way out, make him follow you.  Once he learns stay/release, have him sit and stay as you walk through the door then give the release command to follow you

Then as you are walking he can walk beside you or behind you but not in front.  Whenever he steps up ahead, stop and make him sit for a bit.  then resume walking.  and everyso often, like when he is being stubborn, change directions on him, turn around or go to the left instead of right.  So that he learns that you are in charge of where you are going.

HTH :D   I'm there with you.  Ginsy and I are still struggling on the lead as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are making sure he follows us when we walk him, and he's either wonderful or horrible at it. either way, the harness will really really help.  

He's still hacking really bad, the vet wanted us to bring him in ASAP. So he's there right now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Gus pulls on the leash too (when its not in his mouth) , but puppies will do silly things. Like Gus will get on the far end of the leash(retractable) and boxer burn til he knows where it will end, then burn back and forth. Silly puppies. It will get better. Or try one on those humane chokers that fit the neck and over the nose for more head control. Its a thought.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Personally I wouldn't recommend a harness - yes, it takes the pressure off his throat, but all it will do in the long run is give him more pulling power.  We had to retire Tink's. I'd go for a gentle leader or humane (semi) choke.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too would use a gentle lead instaed of a harness, we tried a harness for our pit bull all it did was give him more pulling power!! We went to obedience class and the trainer suggested a gentle lead, so we tried it and it worked very nicely. But everyone is different not everyone likes them, but for us I can honestly say I LOVE It! :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"7012":3lhbjsxf]I used to be embarrassed walking Tink because she pulled so hard on the lead that she'd make noises like a foghorn going down the road.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote="tootsie";p="7030":3iwohe8j][quote="Honeyec\";p=\"7012":3iwohe8j]You just need to find one that Beckham will respond to the best, whether it be a check, prong, or other type of collar. But, please before using these types of collars, seek the advice of a trainer that uses these collars on how to train with it properly.
Let us know how Beckham does at the vet.
I hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we are still playing the collar game with our two.  We have a choke chain, but it doesnt have the prongs for savannah-it was given to us by the lady who had her but we dont use it often. Reese does the same thing. She is constantly choking and pulling- then hacking when we get home. Keep us posted on what works best-i may have to try it with reese :) hope all goes well with the vet also

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hope he is ok.  I was thinking maybe Kennel Cough.  He could have picked it up the last time he was at the vets.  It's highly contagious and easy for them to get.  I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  Hopefully he will be better and back home again soon too!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Pnuemonia? Lord have mercy, I was going to suggest Kennel Cough myself. Hope Becks starts feeling better...I know this all is a bit difficult for all of you, but have patience, it will pass, may not seem like it, but it will....

I'm not a big fan of harnesses. They play to a boxer's strength, his chest. All you do is give them more power by using a harness. I actually have had a lot of success with a regular collar and the Gentle Leader with Angel. I used it with Buck & Tia also and worked great..As they got older, I weaned them off of it after they learned how to walk properly. Sounds like it's time for Beckham to go to school! Lol

Keep us posted on how he does. Also hope your Dad is allright

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm not a big fan of harnesses. They play to a boxer's strength, his chest. All you do is give them more power by using a harness.
Yeah I heard that harnesses aren't good for Boxers because it gives them more power to pull you. Which is completely understandable. I also would have suggested "Kennel Cough"... poor baby... hope he gets to feeling better soon. I'm sorry to here about your father... hope everything turns out okay... keep us posted.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just wanted to say i'm really sorry about your Dad and i hope he can get better and overcome this. Sometimes life just seems to throw too many things at you to be able to cope with at once. You survive the bombshell and then the little things can be enough to just tip your nerves over the edge :cry: . You're doing all you can to be the best possible Mom to your dog, you do everything right and the problems keep cropping up. I don't know if you're like me - first dog + no children=anxious dog Mom :wink: Don't worry too much about Beckham- every puppy has the odd problem - you're doing great and so's Becks - what's the odd cold 'eh??! Maybe trust your vet about the coughing thing and try to relax some, else it'll be you at the doctors :roll:  Take Care, and good luck with your Dad :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts