Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reggie just turned one, seems like in the past month you can't leave him out of your sight. Used to could leave him out of his cage while gone for 3 or 4 hours or leave him in his cage the same amount of time and he was fine. Lately, he has been chewing up everything in sight. Chewed up his bed in his cage, got into all of the presents under the tree(I know I should've locked him up) chewed up my father in laws dog door and air hose.

Could this just be a stage? Possible we aren't spending enough time with him?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, could advanced dog training/obedience classes help? He learned a lot thru PetsMarts puppy class, not so much in the intermediate class...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
One word ; crate.

Along with the crate, he no longer gets a bed.. he lost that privilege. Put him in the crate everytime you leave the house, I would rather have a clean home and no partial obstructed vet bill from sucking back a Christmas ornament. Some dogs are just not trustworthy to be left out and that's ok.. they're like kids get bored, and everything feels good in their mouth. Lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi. You need to get it some Nyla chew bones. They are edible and healthy for your one year old. They are also pretty affordable and tasty for your pet. I get them for Sammy. Also ensure that it is well stimulated physically and mentally.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
As 4paws stated..crate, no bed. He may learn not to chew he may not. Leave him toys, like a filled kong or a chew bone. Some dogs just get bored when left alone. My guy is good now and hasn't chewed anything in the house but if we leave for over an hour that could even end up longer..crate. He is very happy in his crate, he just goes to sleep, and I come home to no mess and have no worry while I'm gone that he could have gotten into something.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
An appropriate level of "exercise/activity" ... especially with a "Working Dog" is a very big deal! We have raging freaking debates on that "issue" alone on the GSDForum ... all the time! Frankly ... I don't care people have to exercise some kind of "common sense." So if your "Boxer" is constantly on treated as a "lap dog" and has "zero" opportunity to run free?? Well then that is going to be a huge part of the problem??

Only you "know" if your dog is getting adequate exercise??? I don't know and I don't care ... my bad I suppose?? I only "focus" on "issues!" That said ... "4Paws" has already told you the "remedy" ... "Crate your dog!"

That said ... there is more that can be done! You can train "calmness into your dog" doing that is a thing. It's call the "Place Command" and doing "Set on the Dog." Those things as well as "more" can be found here. :

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My 11 month old GS is crazy!

Pretty much "everything" you need to know to turn this around ... is there. )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts