Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started a few months back when my little guy had a reaction to the lepto in one of his boosters. He had a reaction, the vet saw him, gave his a steroid injection and sent him on his way. He seemed fine for a day then it started all back up. The main issue was diarrhea mixed in with some minor vomiting. I took him back to the vets where they did a stool exam and said his bad to good bacteria in his stomach was messed up (something about campi). My little guy was put on a low fat diet for about a week and slowly weened back on his food. All was going great till @ 2 weeks ago when he had to get his final booster... which again contained lepto.  Again he had a reaction, diarrhea and vomiting ensued. He has been to 2 diffrent vets now and both did stool exams and neither saw anything out of the ordinary. I have since then slowly introduced back to his old food, but this time its not going so well. Both vets recommend I put him on some kind of ID food but all i have seen are pretty low quality foods. He was doing fine on his old food till this whole booster ordeal came about. Basically I need some advise. Im gonna try again today to try and slowing switch him from boiled chicken and rice back to his old food. If it does not work, im at a dead end.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You can try a tsp o f pumpkin every day, be sure to buy pure pumpkin in the can not pie filling, don't give more than this as it can cause diarrahea.  I know that you can give some human anti-diarrhea meds to but you should check with your vet first as to how often and how much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh yes, I prob should have mentioned this tid bit-  

Dog is currently on carafate for upset stomach and lomotil for diarrhea (use only as needed)
Have also tried pumpkin, which did work. Have also added live culture yogurt to his diet (one vet said good idea, one said bad idea...)

The problem comes in when i try and switch him back to his old dog food.
The breeder had him on blue buffalo large breed puppy chicken and rice, I swapped him over to innova large breed puppy. When i "slowly" (and i mean slowly) ween him from the boiled chicken and rice (for the upset stomach)  to the innova he has a bout of the runs again. Tonite im gonna try switching him back over to the blue and see how that goes. He took well to the innova the 2 months I had him on it tho.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You might want to try Taste of the Wild Ocean.  I have found that fish based foods work better for Kiah, she has a terrible time iwth allergies to foods and gets runny poo.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good luck...our Maddy had Diarrhea for the first year we had her!!! We would get it under control and ween her off meds and she would relapse, it took forever and a lot of meds and a few different foods but now we have firms stools! Sometimes now, I think her stools are almost too hard :D!!!! Keep trying...it will get better!

·
Registered
397 Posts
SeanJ\";p=\"125608 said:
Ahhh yes, I prob should have mentioned this tid bit-  

Dog is currently on carafate for upset stomach and lomotil for diarrhea (use only as needed)
Have also tried pumpkin, which did work. Have also added live culture yogurt to his diet (one vet said good idea, one said bad idea...)

The problem comes in when i try and switch him back to his old dog food.
The breeder had him on blue buffalo large breed puppy chicken and rice, I swapped him over to innova large breed puppy. When i "slowly" (and i mean slowly) ween him from the boiled chicken and rice (for the upset stomach)  to the innova he has a bout of the runs again. Tonite im gonna try switching him back over to the blue and see how that goes. He took well to the innova the 2 months I had him on it tho.
I'd avoid the lepto shot. I have heard more BAD things about this than it worth. Both of our vets have only seen a RARE case of lepto and it's not as much of a concern.
We won't have our 2 get vaccinated for it.

Also boxers are not a large breed dog. Stick to regular food, not large breed. Also are you feeding too much? Maybe break up the meals.

If you rule out a food allergy..you can try a probiotic or an enzyme.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/res ... ategory=30

·
Registered
80 Posts
[quote="SophiaSadeyes\";p=\"125741":pp5vf6gl][quote="SeanJ\";p=\"125608":pp5vf6gl]Ahhh yes, I prob should have mentioned this tid bit-

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How old is he?

If you do a search Innova is high in protein which some dogs can not handle.  Even though yours did okay for two months you said is still not enough time to say that he was okay.  Because for some reason something happened and he has the runs again.  I would try slowly switching him to Purina Sensible stomach food that they have.  There have been alot of people on here that feed that because their babies have sensible stomachs.  

I know for a fact that some dogs can handle the Innova protein level (Attila and Daphne) however I switched them over to Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Wolf King (Cub for Attila and King for Daphne) (long story).  Anyways we are now on our third week of the switch and they still have the runs right now.  However their runs are getting thicker so their body is adjusting to the new food.  

Some issues could be their stomach is too sensitive, too quickly switching foods, dog anxiety, or issue with the shots he had.  I am not a vet or anywhere close but this is what I have learned in the past 1.5yrs of owning my boxer babies.  I would ask Sharon or hope others reply a post back to help you and your baby.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jay23\";p=\"125754 said:
http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/res ... ategory=30[/url][/quote:30b8vp13]

Innova Large Breed Puppy is for dogs that grow to be 75lbs or more. I'd say most boxers fit that description then again it depends on your specific dog. Tito is a year and about 65lbs already so I plan on getting Large Breed puppy for his next bag[/quote:30b8vp13]

boxer are SUPPOSE to be a medium sized dog, even if they reach 75lbs they are suppose to be medium sized. they are not Danes or st bernards.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/boxer/

I think it's all marketing hype about puppy formula's, large breed, small bites...
stick to something under 28% protein and yes, I think Innova is pretty rich and know a lot of boxer who do not do well on it. May be trial and error.
Taste of the wild, canidae, or timberwolf organics...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DM_Boxers\";p=\"125755 said:
How old is he?

If you do a search Innova is high in protein which some dogs can not handle.  Even though yours did okay for two months you said is still not enough time to say that he was okay.  Because for some reason something happened and he has the runs again.  I would try slowly switching him to Purina Sensible stomach food that they have.  There have been alot of people on here that feed that because their babies have sensible stomachs.  

I know for a fact that some dogs can handle the Innova protein level (Attila and Daphne) however I switched them over to Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Wolf King (Cub for Attila and King for Daphne) (long story).  Anyways we are now on our third week of the switch and they still have the runs right now.  However their runs are getting thicker so their body is adjusting to the new food.  

Some issues could be their stomach is too sensitive, too quickly switching foods, dog anxiety, or issue with the shots he had.  I am not a vet or anywhere close but this is what I have learned in the past 1.5yrs of owning my boxer babies.  I would ask Sharon or hope others reply a post back to help you and your baby.

This is NOT evo.. the protein levels are in line with the norms  ( @ 27%)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Regardless of vaccines or food...some of our babies just have sensitive tummies:) For some of us...it is just trial and error!!! We tried switching foods/probiotics/meds....eventually we came out on top!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh i completely understand that. Ive had boxers my entire life. I had one that was allergic to everything under the sun. She could only eat one particular dog food and it took us almost 2yrs to find it.  Alot of the food for "sensitive gi" are not that great of quality foods. Unless someone knows differently and would show me because id love to know. Innova has alot of different meat sources in it, im gonna try and put him back on a simple one protien source food again and see how he does.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well good luck finding a good food for your baby.  If the vets said his biotic levels are uneven, then 1 teaspoon of plain lowfat yogurt once a day will help a lot!  Also cuts down on those rank farts!! :wink:
We found that our Henry cannot tolerate chicken.  Even just a little chicken, or chicken based food, gives him runny yucky poops.  Lamb and rice food was working OK, but I didn't like all the rice that was in it.  We now have him on Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula.  Took about a month to make the switch and another month before things were "normal" again.  He's doing really well on it.  Maybe try that?

·
Registered
761 Posts
SeanJ, I have heard really good things about Innova and was going to try that except so many people on this forum seem to have positive responses with Canidae, and it costs a little less which is nice.  Our dogwalker said she uses Blue Buffalo chicken and rice with her dog that has a sensitive stomach how did your pup do on that food?  If he is a year old you may also think about switching to adult food soon, rather than find a puppy food that works only to switch again to an adult food.  Canidae has an All Life Stages food  so there may not be a need to change again and they do have a chicken and rice formula as well.  Good luck with everything.

Maddie-Mae;  you are giving me some hope.  Cassius has not been consistent since we got him.  We switched from Science Diet which he was getting at the shelter to Wellness for Puppies and now on to Canidae.  Canidae looked to be improving the situation but then last weekend he had the worst case of diarrhea yet.  So I ended up bringing him to the vet to make sure he was OK.  He'd lost some weight which no one was happy about because he is skinny to begin with.  He was 45lbs when we got him, we'd gotten him up to almost 50 but he was down to 47 last week at the vet.  She put him on pro-biotics, a de-wormer, and something else for upset stomach.  He's on day 5 of this in conjunction with a hypo-allergenic food.  In addition to those meds he had to take his heartworm meds as well and the first day we didn't have a fun night.  Things have been OK since but we're not at 100%.  I feel like it is food related but we did the de-wormer and pro-biotics to be safe and using the hypo-allergenic food to eliminate food allergies.  We go back in a week and a half and check the progress.  I don't know if something is really wrong with him or its the food or meds but he just is not himself lately.  He's been chasing his nub like a madman and acts all nutso on our walks.  Some of this I know is his age (10 months) and some may just be all the change at once.  I am concerned but not crazed yet.  We'll see how the next week and a half go.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
IMO whatever be the food that agrees with your DOG feed it! I remember a boxer from a diff forum had to be put on a "crap food" for a stomach issue that started with a "C" forgive me Im having a brain fart lmao Needless to say the owner wasnt happy but she accepted it because it was the ONLY food that agreed with her pup!

It took me FOREVER to find a food that agreed with Roxy! Seriously like 8 diff brands! Finally Natural Balance did the trick! I had bouts of the runs with her for nearly 18months!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
We had an on going diarrhea battle with Brodi to the point where instead of doing poop patrol with a rake we were doing it with a hose. I never realized until I read your post that Brodi's issues didn't start until a few days after his lepto vaccine also. We did a total of 8 stool sample checks which is hard to do when your dog has the runs! and each one nothing was found but they still treated him for coccidia and then when that failed they treated him for giardia because both are so hard to detect in stool samples. After all that, he still had the runs but he did fine on boiled hamburger and rice, it would start up again soon as I gave him the smallest amount of dog food. His vet kept pushing the prescription dog food and I immediately took one look at the ingredients and said no thanks!  After much frustration I switched him over to raw, I figured he has the runs anyways so now would be a good time to slowly introduce him to it. I must say after a few days of raw I saw his first normal poop in a long time and things are still going great.  I wish you all the luck and now how frustrating it can be but it will all work out just takes a bit to find out what the right food is for your baby. After going thru all of this with Brodi I do know neither one of my dogs will ever have the lepto vaccine again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The two specific meds that worked well for us were sulfasalazine and prednisone.....that and Royal Canin boxer formula. Maddy was bought from a pet store by one of my hubby's co-worker...she was 4 months and had diarrhea.....he had her for another 4 months and she continued with the diarrhea! His vet just told him to change her food.....so he kept changing and changing! He finally decided he couldn't handle coming home to explosive diarrhea all the time and she had to go! SO thats how we got her....took her to our vet(and now my current place of employment) and he immediately started her on the sulfasalazine and with in a day or two she had a almost good solid stool....and then the rest is history....we would go off the meds and she would start with the diarrhea....NOW she has hard stools and can eat treats and her dog food and she is a champ! This morning she had sardines with her breakfast :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts