Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice regarding improving diet and possible supplements to help with ongoing health problems. Our boxer has had health issues from early on and after extensive testiing it was determined she has a compromised immune system. She has had very loose stools most of her life. She has been on a single protein grain free Rabbit based diet for the last 6 months and we have tried multible supplements to firm up her stool including pumpkin, clay, physillium husk, slippery elm and various pre and probiotics. Nothing has really helped, the clay seemed to help for a couple of weeks but no longer. Looking to change her diet as well as adding anything else that could help. She has tremendous appetite and is generally in great spirits but is severally under weight (30 pounds) as the food goes though her so quickly she can't absorb enough nutrition.
Hoping this forum could help uncover some answers on how we can improve her overall health.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our boxer suffered with digestive issues for years. We tried supplements, probiotics, etc. Ultimately, after years of vet visits and meds, we put him on Hills prescription diet food (I/D). It literally changed his life for the better.
We had no idea that pancreatitis was so common with boxers and even though we had him on great food previously, this was the missing piece to the puzzle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My male dog was having some digestive issues and I put him on Royal Canin Sensitive digestion maxi formula it helps with stool consistency it has extra fiber in it and it does work he is doing much better now. I like that it has added nutrients for their heart health as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for advice regarding improving diet and possible supplements to help with ongoing health problems. Our boxer has had health issues from early on and after extensive testiing it was determined she has a compromised immune system. She has had very loose stools most of her life. She has been on a single protein grain free Rabbit based diet for the last 6 months and we have tried multible supplements to firm up her stool including pumpkin, clay, physillium husk, slippery elm and various pre and probiotics. Nothing has really helped, the clay seemed to help for a couple of weeks but no longer. Looking to change her diet as well as adding anything else that could help. She has tremendous appetite and is generally in great spirits but is severally under weight (30 pounds) as the food goes though her so quickly she can't absorb enough nutrition.
Hoping this forum could help uncover some answers on how we can improve her overall health.
Thanks
Having owned boxers in the past and now two more, digestive issues were always a topic. After thinking our two currently had issues with lepto bought them to the vet. They were both experiencing diarrhea at the same time and eating the same food. Made us feel like it was a new problem. Went to the vet and hundreds of dollars later left with doxycycline prescriptions and a bunch of science diet products that the vet gave and sold us. I don’t know if you have watched ‘pet fooled’ on Netflix, I highly recommend it and after leaving the vet made me feel uneasy and I stuck with my gut that this wasn’t right. A day later I stopped the doxycycline and asked around about a vet or somebody that could help with my dogs problem. Someone mentioned this dog nutritionist. We went and visited her she didn’t even have to see our pups. She asked what was going on and what they were eating and there poop and pee habits and changed there diet immediately (no ease them in to this kibble). They immediately went on a half frozen raw and have freeze dried kibble from Stella and chewy and probiotic powder nightly. 4 years later we haven’t looked back. They were 100% the next day and have been amazing since. I’m so grateful.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have never been "Vet Fooled" I have done my research and chose the right food for my dogs, the food I use has very important supplements that Boxers need for heart health like L-carnitine and Taurine. I feel Grain free food was a contributor to my two previous dogs deaths won't make that mistake again. I would be curious to find out if your Pet nutritionist would recommend grain free food now. (I bet not)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am leaning more toward the frozen or freeze dried raw meals with perhaps a free feed quality kibble on the side. Our boxer though did very well on Victor dog food. They do not seem to do well on a kibble that has higher than 26% protein.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Mixing raw food and dry kibble really isn't a very good idea. It's common for dogs to get diarrhea from this combo because both food types digest at a different rate and ph level in the gut. Myself I recommend finding a good quality raw food and give it a good 6 months to judge the results before you switch again.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm one who does raw/kibble mix and I have never had any issues. Probably not something you want to try with a dog that already has a sensitive stomach.

I also use a kibble thats 38% crude protein

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I have never been "Vet Fooled" I have done my research and chose the right food for my dogs, the food I use has very important supplements that Boxers need for heart health like L-carnitine and Taurine. I feel Grain free food was a contributor to my two previous dogs deaths won't make that mistake again. I would be curious to find out if your Pet nutritionist would recommend grain free food now. (I bet not)
"Vet Fooled" LOL ... I have not heard that one before, but I like it! :)

And yeah I think ..."Grain Free," took out my Rocky WL GSD?? I switched to it because of his itching issues and the constant Kenalog shots required, that no longer worked?? He ate it for year's and I highly suspect ... that a dog's "inability to synthesize "Taurine," from that "stuff," finally caught up with him at age 10???

SIgh ... Bella is still eating it! Marilyn does the shopping and she "Keeps" buying it!! But this will be the last bag, "Dog Gone It!" Hmmm ... no pun intended. :)

But Bella get's a handful of "Cat kibble," as well as Doggy Kibble and Sardines in her daily meal's. So a pretty Taurine enriched diet. She also gets a Corn Dog everyday for breakfast along with me on a daily basis. Uh there is no science behind the Corn Dog, it's just how we roll. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm one who does raw/kibble mix and I have never had any issues. Probably not something you want to try with a dog that already has a sensitive stomach.

I also use a kibble thats 38% crude protein
Thats pretty good we could never go that high on crude protein, it would always make his stool loose. When I say raw kibble I wasn't mixing it but had kibble not he side to ensure your getting all nutrients. Really not more than if you were giving treats. But I have heard the no mixing before as they digest at different time spans. I guess it always a trial and error. My poodle can eat pretty much anything without stomach upset. He eat a mixture of Victor high performance and Merrick beef & sweet potato, (Victor is his staple and I switch the other on and off) he also gets freeze dried toppers. Not a lot but enough to make him interested.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah Linda, I have heard the same thing with high protein. My guy does good on it though.

Like you said, with boxers its all trial and error. Just like everything else with these guys. lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Was discussing food with the Vet the other day and its not just grain free foods that are causing the problems with dogs its anything with a high legume content like peas and lentils as well so even if you are feeding a grain containing formula you need to watch these ingredients are not at the top of the list. The food I use has other vitamins that are essential to heart health like taurine, carnitine as well are important. I personally think grain free food ought to have a warning label on it so dog owners know there could be a risk there I know I would not have used it had I known.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I am very pro raw and would highly recommend you get with a seasoned raw feeder and get your girl back on track.
I assume you have ruled out parasites including coccidia and giardia?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts