Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Ooops...

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  sharonL 
#1 ·
i forgot to give sumya her december heartgard and frontline :doh: ... i called the vet a couple of days ago and no one has called me back. anyone know if i can just resume as normal or do i double dose?

#5 ·
my vet told me it was okay to not give harley any until spring because of his age and the fact that they havent started him on it yet.
frontline however i stopped giving it after our first snow about a month and a half ago.. i probably wont give him it again until spring as well.. fleas are not bad right now

#6 ·
we do it year round here obviously lol...but in Mass i did heartguard yr round and frontline all months except dec jan and feb...

its ok as long as it hasnt been more than a month...i write it on my calander the date i give..but im a calander person..every day lol or id forget my head...

maybe buy a cheap calander hang it somewhere you will look at it everyday..put things on there that you need to remember ..im telling you if i didnt id never be anywhere i needed to be ..haha ...i have the house calanders and my date book...if not i have no clients left hahahaha

#7 ·
It's not unusual for me to be 1 or 2 days late.  You should still be fine.  If your truely worried, give her the regular dose have your vet run a test.  I think that excessively, but if it'll make you feel better or worry less, then it's worth it.

#8 ·
My vet told me that we could stop until it started getting warm again....like around end of Feb beginning of March depending on when it started warming up.  I live in Council Bluffs, IA so we are pretty close, and my moms vet has her do the same thing.  So I think you should be ok.

#9 ·
My vet said it would be ok for them to miss it.  However, if it is longer than 1 month, they should be brought in to get a heartworm test.

I would recommend that you give heartworm prevention and flea and tick prevention year round.  That's what I do.  I work for a 24-hour emergency and referral animal hospital that also has 14 general practice vets, and they all recommend giving it year round as well.  The flea and tick prevention should not be stopped because ticks may not be common in the colder months, but the second the temperature rises the slightest bit above freezing, they come out.  There are quite a few co-workers of mine that their dogs have gotten lymes disease in the winter because they stopped the flea and tick prevention for the colder months.  It can't harm your pet to continue year round, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#10 ·
sumyasmom\";p=\"63907 said:
anyone know if i can just resume as normal or do i double dose?
Just resume the dose as normal do not double dose because of the Ivermectin that is in heartgard.  You will be fine!!!!  They have to miss more then a month for the medication to be out of their system...It stays in the system for 30 days (per the maker), but actually last a little longer...It is like it works ahead of time....The thing on doing it each month depends on where you live my personal opinion is they should be on it all the time (year round) it only takes one skeeter and they are more common year round then ever before in the past.  I also agree that frontline/advantix products should be all year because of the ticks and for us southern states the fleas are 24/7/365 too.....

It is common for alot of vets to tell you if you missed a month or two to have them tested before you resume your heartgard, but the truth is that they will test negative....You have to be off the med's or it has to be at least 6 months since you were off the heartworm med's to get a real indication....The reason is that it takes 6 months for heartworms to develop to the point they will pick up on a test....My suggestion is to restart the med's and wait until your annual exam (at least 6 months away) to retest, but do not wait until then to start the med's back.

It has been proven the Ivermectin (the med that makes heartgard a preventative) will treat and is used to treat dogs for heartworms so therefore it is safe to give a dog even if they are positive.......

Hope that all made sense!

#11 ·
made perfect sense to me! thanks everyone, going on Monday to get more heartgard and frontline, oh and also acalendar so this does not happen again next month!  :roll:

#14 ·
cool! thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.