Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a Euro Boxer breeder near me (Iowa) because in two years or so I would like to have one of my own. Mt Valley Boxers seems to be reputable but the more I look at their dogs the more I realize that some of their faces look a little goofy? Is that just me? Does anyone know of a reputable Euro/German Boxer breeder that is somewhat close to Iowa?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just a quick glance and it looks like they have some nice dogs. They are also health tested and they have the pedigree for all of them.

Honestly I don't see anything "goofy". I see the typical bigger boned, and heavier dogs than the American lines. Personally I prefer that look over the streamlined American lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I’m probably just overthinking it😅. All this byb and reputable breeder talk in the dog community has me worried to pick the wrong breeder else I’ll get attacked for it. Thank you for your opinion!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No problem. There are some other posters on here who are really knowledgeable about pedigree and breeders. Hopefully some of them chime in also. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
LOL too Goofy?? Well your kinda criticizing one of the main point's of Boxers. My baby girl Struddell (100%) an All American Girl was "Goofy," to the max! She could not do the, "Regal Boxer," bit at all. But despite the "Goofy," it turns out she was still an excellent Watch Dog. I should have listened to her but that's another story.

But if you 100% Goofy Free ... there is always the Working line GSD. Mine was great dog after a lot of work ... But yeah "Goofy," was not of his attributes?? That is not a recommendation ... just a point of reference.

But back on point ... those look like nice dog's to also and a 3 year Health Guarantee, is impressive. So if you want a Euro Boxer (close to home) those look like a good choice. And a little further North of you would be these Dog's.:

And just for general knowlege you might find this thread of interest.

Welcome Aboard and Good Luck in your search. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an American Boxer of my own currently so I totally understand and love their goofy personalities. When I said goofy I think I was just meaning that facial shapes (something about the eyes??) seem different than my American ... keeping in mind she is byb. I didn’t mean to be rude towards anyone!

I have looked at GSDs, as well as other breeds but I always come back to the Boxer.

I’ll look into all of that, thank you for your opinion!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have an American Boxer of my own currently so I totally understand and love their goofy personalities. When I said goofy I think I was just meaning that facial shapes (something about the eyes??) seem different than my American ... keeping in mind she is byb. I didn’t mean to be rude towards anyone!

I have looked at GSDs, as well as other breeds but I always come back to the Boxer.

I think its the more droopy eye (Ectropion) that i believe is more prevalent in euro boxers. My guy is 50/50 and has that. He's got the euro front end and the american ass end. lol

·
Registered
5,370 Posts

Rude??? LOL, naw man nothing to apologize for?? American Line Boxer aka The Clown Prince or Princes of the Dog World! They were not an accident, they were the goal! Almost the "Perfect Family" pet but "Patience Required," as they can be a time consuming PIA to train, for a lot of folks???
But typically they are not a potential Law Suit on four paw's looking for a place to happen?? AKA Working line GSD.

I could recommend a Boxer to some folk's I know. I would never recommend a WL GSD, to anyone I know. The Euro Boxer's however are "still," the real deal Working Dog ... they are still doing the K9 gig in America, in the Mid West at any rate. You won't see them on Patrol here WL GSD and Mal's only.

I'm suspicious of the Euro's myself?? As I tend to put it, I'm not looking for a Wl GSD in a Boxer suit?? The Euro do seem to still have the "Aloof," with stranger's bit till they know you, then your good with them and they can "apparently be goofy!" My baby girl Struddell ... did not know what a stranger was?? :)

But the eyes thing?? Yeah I get that ... very expressive but they can turn that off and on in a Blink (no pun interned.) I have seen no American Line Flashy female that had owner's that were struggling with her. My GSD was safely outside her front yard gate. We were talking and met there other dog. And they said we have a Boxer also. But she does not like other dog's.

We were on the other side of the gate so I sure I'd luv to see her. Well they brought her out, straining at the leash. And she stared at my 113 GSD like he was raw meat! And she did not make a sound! I was kinda stunned?? I said thank you she's beautiful (and she was) and me and Rocky got the He$$ out of there. She was definitely "not," a typical Goofy American Line Boxer! her eyes "said," I'll tear your dog a new one if given the chance?? I believed her she was a scary looking Boxer!

But the eyes, Ok here you go "Cliff vom Grand Kevin,"

And here he is at work.

Now that dog still has the same "eye's," and you know a "goofy look??" But you'd not wanna screw with him. :)

My GSD on the other hand ... had a limited range of expression?? His ear's alway's pointed forward. Off leash on a midnight walk one time ... he was talking point. We traded the position back and forth. When he got tired of leading ... he would step to the side let me lead and he would follow. No words were needed ... it's just what we did. But one night on one of our midnight's I heard Coyotes in the distance??

We go out on our typical route and not far from home. He stops ... he look's left listen's and right and listen's?? Then turn's around walks past me and head's for home??? I watch him walk again ... WTH?? I stand and peer into the distance and listen, you know as if I could hear something he apparently heard?? I said screw this ... I trust my dog! And I followed him home.

Had I been walking my Baby Girl Struddell?? Well it would have been different?? I was a serious hard core Helicopter Dad! I found her well you know ... "hard to read??" You'd really have no idea what she was "thinking about anything??" I did the thinking and she would follow. So with her ... if there was an ambush ahead we'd have walked right into it! Cuz you know "Dad," must know what he's doing???

I really Luv'd my "Baby Girl," but honestly I could never tell what she was thinking about ... anything?? the thick layer of "Goofy," was a filter?? And you really had no idea what was in her head??

By contrast ... I overrode my GSD once! Loose Dog encounter, one of 17 or so?? But always no contact with my dog, cuz you know ... get by me dog if you can! But hey unlike my dog ... I can't see in the dark???

Rocky got nipped he was fine but I was pretty pissed off! And the dog got the hell out of Dodge once I understood where she was! Rocky saw her but he was obeying me! Stand down ... I got this! It was how we rolled but I can't see at night??? Aww well it was fine ultimately and my wife found out when she went to tell the property owner's what happened.

That the dog that got us was an EX MWD DDD, that went on task and got us by escaping threw the fence while her mates distracted me! And one of the 4 other dog's was an Irish Wolfhound cross! And you can bet that was the one I was watching!! I lost situational awareness as it were??

I never saw the GSD closing in?? But Rocky did, he turned to face her! And then she changed direction and brushed by my thigh to get to him cuz she knew I did not see her?? At that point she struck Rocky and he yelped and now I knew where she was and she said, hey good enough ... I'm out of here! I was ticked off! The one time I did not listen to my GSD and this happens!

So even though I don't recommend Wl GSD ... I get them! A Euro Boxer maybe closer to a Wl GSD in instinct without all the people issue's?? Cuz my particular GSD ... did not trust "people!" He was my buddy but he was a serious responsibility!

A Euro Boxer maybe a better compromise?? I don't know?? As I have never owned and really never met one?? In Ca all you saw were AL Boxer's and in NV it seem's to be AL and AL/Euro's?? The Al/Euro's seem to be very "Boxer like??" Aloof at first but when they know just as "Goofy," as one expect a Boxer to be!

With most people in the home ... my GSD was more like "Glad to see you ... when you leaving??" Unlike my Struddell who's favorite time of year was Halloween and the Holiday's there after cuz everybody was coming to see me!! And for the most part our Male guest were!

Female guest were kinda cool to her?? She would wait politely for there attention?? After a few minuet's, it was well screw you I'll go play with the guy's!!

Sigh she was off the hook! Giggles and laugh's ensued. And if I tried to get her to dial it down ... then suddenly I'm the bad guy???

And yet ... out and about I could turn off or on an "Open Desert Bunny Chase," with the word "No!" It depended on which way the bunny broke towards the Highway or Towards the Mountains??

Oh well they were "both," great dog's. I miss them dearly. And for me ... I put just as much value on Dedication and loyalty to family (my GSD) as I do Goofy and Laughter?? Time will tell for me??

But in the "Boxer's," I have met and worked with ... the Euro/American's seem to be a compromise?? I'd be crushed if I had a Boxer ... that was not "Goofy??" But hey that's just me ... or is it?? Good Luck with your hunt and Welcome Aboard ... if I did not say that already!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I love the goofy personality I feel like some American lines are pushing that a little too far. Several American Boxers I have met are just dumb with excitement and can’t hardly contain themselves. Besides that, I would like a bigger Boxer and something with a more focused mentality. I’m by no means looking for a Malinois in terms of intelligence but from what I have looked at a Euro Boxer fits what I am looking for pretty good.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
While I love the goofy personality I feel like some American lines are pushing that a little too far. Several American Boxers I have met are just dumb with excitement and can’t hardly contain themselves. Besides that, I would like a bigger Boxer and something with a more focused mentality. I’m by no means looking for a Malinois in terms of intelligence but from what I have looked at a Euro Boxer fits what I am looking for pretty good.
LOL, well I would say you have just summed up the American Line Boxer ... perfectly! And that is why I would say ... I "might," recommend a "Boxer," to some people I know, but "patience is required!" I got more ... but first it sounds like you have done your research and you know the "differences," between Boxers. Cuz most of us in "America," don't?? Not out the gate anyway?? A Boxer is a Boxer and the AKC is not much help???

I only noticed something was up??? Cuz I would on occasion see male Boxers?? There faces were different and they were always much, much larger then my girl?? Kinda odd but hey she's a girl?? :)

But I think you are making a good choice for you. Not trying to convince you otherwise. And I look forward to your coming adventures!

As for the over bearing degree, of "Goofiness," the AL Boxers tend to exhibit?? Specifically with regards to people and knocks at the front door most likely?? LOL, that they can't do better is well ... BS.

The Al Boxers (I feel) are much more "capable, then folk's believe?? They just like to hide, there capability behind a thick layer of well ... Goofy. But damping down the crazy is another story. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll believe you in that Al Boxers are just as capable. I would love to see more owners really exercise their Boxers mentality and physically instead of just taking them on walks or going to the dark park.

I try to be as informed as possible, but there is still a lot for me to learn! Patience is definitely required with Boxers lol.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not sure if you have a boxer club by you, or even a working dog club, but it would be a great place to learn more. No clubs anywhere near me, but I have been lucky to get to know a couple different trainers who work their dogs that have helped me a ton. I've had dogs all my life, but while my boxer has probably picked up things quicker than any other dog I owned, proofing has been a whole other issue with certain aspects of training. They definitely have an independent streak.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if you have a boxer club by you, or even a working dog club, but it would be a great place to learn more. No clubs anywhere near me, but I have been lucky to get to know a couple different trainers who work their dogs that have helped me a ton. I've had dogs all my life, but while my boxer has probably picked up things quicker than any other dog I owned, proofing has been a whole other issue with certain aspects of training. They definitely have an independent streak.:)
I will definitely look into that, I hadn’t thought about clubs.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I’ll believe you in that Al Boxers are just as capable. I would love to see more owners really exercise their Boxers mentality and physically instead of just taking them on walks or going to the dog park.
Well I do like to keep it real as it were. And I would say the AL Boxer's can do a lot of job's that the Euro's can do but number's would say ... not all.

Now you have to go to "extremes," to find the difference and for the most part the folks that the AL Boxer's appeal to don't really tend to "work," them?? The look , the personality, the (people/family) friendly nature is more than good enough! And they just "assume," that over bearing nature is just "par for the course??" Well it's really not ... if you know what to do but that's what people tend to think??

But hard number's, what is they can't/haven't done?? Well hard core serious "Work," that you won't find the AL Boxer's doing?? LE K9's, MWD and PPD (and in as much as the military has now dropped the WL GSD, in favor of Mal's only) ... there is near zero chance of seeing Boxer's in the Military ... in the US, they still do all those job's in Europe! )

As a general rule the consensus in that world is that the AL Boxer does not have the right drives for doing that kinda of stuff ... so they say. And in GSD world the "Pro's," I learned stuff from some of the "Big Dawg's," there. But in that world they tend to only know the AL Boxer's and there opinion tends to be "Boxer's are "Skinny and insipid, I ain't got the time to fool with this." :)

The link I posted ... all those dog's are Euro's ... in the "Mid West," for whatever reason they seem to know about the Euro's?? And the LE K9 trainer's out there do take the time required to train them.

Well that seemed a little harsh to me?? So I went on a search (online) to find a AL Boxer in America ... doing the LE
K9 thing?? With help from my GSD pal's and I found one! And that was eleven year's ago now. And when I found that dog in 2010 ... it had retired?? I did not make contact with that Sheriffs department cuz I figured ... well I found that one surely there must be more?? Uh NO, apparently??

Ok well ... time moves on. Next up comes an AL Boxer's as a Catch Dog in the summer time in freaking Louisiana?? That guy owner was a member here and posted clips of his dog in action. Well that did not go over well here. The clips may still be on Youtube ... I don't know??

And I was on him also cuz he was running his Boxer in high temp conditions! And then later on I thought about it?? And uh oh ... I thought about it and I knew of exactly two, "High Temperature Al Boxer's??" And one of them was in Louisiana and the other was uh ... mine, my Struddell.

Up here at 4100 ft above sea level, at 90 plus in the high desert sun of NV?? I never thought about it?? It was just something she did?? The only think I "trained," was turning "Prey Drive," off and on with the use of the word "NO!" And if I said NO, a Bunny could blow right by her (and they did) and she would not move! And if the Bunny broke towards the Mountains and not the Hwy ... it was Game On!

And LOL Bunny love'ers she never caught one ... for one the Bunny would get a 4 second lead. And they would always try to burn her off on the straight and that would never work! The Bunnys would always break hard to the right into the brush and then dart back down the straight! I would watch her track them on the cut like a guided missile and I would watch as she switched from sight to scent as she now searched to find it?? And ... as the Bunny came back on the straight and sailed away "Boxer Free!" LOL, she never figured that trick out??

I would have to call it off ... cuz she would not quit! And I would dare to say that under those condition's her stubby nosed Euro counter part ... could not compete?? But she was one of two in a million ... so not recommended!

I try to be as informed as possible, but there is still a lot for me to learn! Patience is definitely required with Boxers lol.
Well we are always learning! I am kinda of an odd ball, as I fixed my Wl GSD first (seemingly without effort) and then spent year;s online trying to figure out what it was I had??

And if there was a dog that any "normal person," would have "PTS," it was him! But that did not happen. :)

And oh yeah the Dog Park ... uh NO, Your not going find that many "Dog Park," fan's here! And if you start to follow the "serious," Dog Trainers that give there work away for Free on "YouTube" not a one of them will recommend taking your dog to a "Dog Park??"

Now they have there reason's which I agree with but mine is ... "Well if you let your dog run around with a pack of dog's running "hog Butt Wild as it were. They learn that what you say ... does not matter?? And that ... is the "Good Part."

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Definitely look into dog clubs. Forums tend to give you more personal outlooks of experiences but ya never know how many or the circumstances. Looking into the boxer clubs will really open your views. We can all give you our experiences, mine are old...lol I had wl GSD and american line...back then from my experience I'd go with wl anytime. But younger people here now say they are different. I also trained mine thru a club. (GSD) , My boxer was a american line with some euro in his pedigree. He was basically from a hobby breeder who once showed and no longer was doing so. His lineage was also not genetically health tested, although his sire/dam and grandparents were all healthy and still around. I lost mine to a brain stem tumor at just under 6 years. Unfortunately it was just bad luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that is what American lines are like than i got a blessing fortunately my dog isn't anything nearly as annoying as what you have described. People often tell me that they don't normally like boxers but they like my dog. After what you have described i easily understand why. I like the look of the euros but i do question the athleticism of the ones with the almost English bulldog style head.The more extreme dogs do really poorly with heat and exercise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that is what American lines are like than i got a blessing fortunately my dog isn't anything nearly as annoying as what you have described. People often tell me that they don't normally like boxers but they like my dog. After what you have described i easily understand why. I like the look of the euros but i do question the athleticism of the ones with the almost English bulldog style head.The more extreme dogs do really poorly with heat and exercise.
I like that Euros are a little bigger overall and are generally calmer but I do agree with you, some breeders are taking it too far with the head and size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts