Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Oral Flea Control for their boxers?  My vet stated that since Ajax has a burn from his flea control that we shoud switch to their new Oral flea control that might be better for him since he has sensitvie skin.  What do you all think?

Oh and look at last sig below....Ajax you should have switched to Geico and been happy like Attila and Daphne...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
OMG, I love that!!!  :) Too cute....Do you know the brand name if the flea control? My vet was talking about that, but I decided not to go with it, rather pricey and from my research(may be wrong) doesn't help with skeeters which we have an issue with here in the South....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, I've never personally used any of the oral flea controls. Which one is your vet suggesting? If it's Sentinel, I'd go for it. It's the most complete & the safest, I believe. Not only does it prevent fleas/ticks, but it also aids in keeping away heartworms & the common gut worms (hookworm, round worm & whipworm) - but just make sure your dog has been heartworm tested first.

As for other orals that I've heard of:
Advantage Oral - recommedable
Comfortis - recommendable (not only kills adult fleas, but prevents infestations).
Program - don't recommend (I've heard mixed results/opinions)
Capstar (Novartis) - I don't know much about this brand, but I do know it's not a long-term solution... it's used during full-on outbreaks.
ProMeris - don't know anything about this brand

These are the only ones I've heard of.... I personally would go with Sentinel as a 1st choice & if not that, then Comfortis.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Keep in mind both Revolution and Sentinel contain heartworm medicine.....There are many new products out now by most all drug companies, they all have come out with their version of flea and tick or flea only control.  Capstar works great, but as said above there is no long term benefit, Program is just old news, Promeris is actually a topical treatment and Comfortis does fleas only.....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will find out on tuesday when I take Ajax to get microchipped and fecal tests done as well as Attila's splint change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts