Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old girl has a new oral growth on her lower jowl. Our vet initially caught it. She checked it out but said there’s nothing to definitely say what it is without a biopsy. She sent us home with amoxicillin in case of infection and said after 1 week if no change go in for aspiration.
Here is pic of last three days. It has not necessarily gotten worse. She is eating, drinking, walking fine. Same energy level. She doesn’t flinch when I touch her head. My initial thought was the obvious-cancer. But I’ve been researching and it seems so similar to Epulis in boxers, which I know is common.
Anyone else experience something like this? Or have any clue what this looks like to them?
Dog Jaw Carnivore Mammal Gesture

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I’m surprised the Vet didn’t want to remove it. It does look like Epulis but to be sure it needs removal and biopsy. It looks red and painful but you have to consider the risks of surgery vs leave it alone the best thing would be to discuss with your Vet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m surprised the Vet didn’t want to remove it. It does look like Epulis but to be sure it needs removal and biopsy. It looks red and painful but you have to consider the risks of surgery vs leave it alone the best thing would be to discuss with your Vet
I almost want to call them back and just schedule them to aspirate. I don’t think it’s an infection. I think, if it is epulis, my vet would opt for surgical removal. I am not sure how to tell how much pain she is in. She doesn’t act like she’s in pain at all; I even brush her teeth daily and she doesn’t flinch. I would rather just get rid of it altogether.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know what happens. I think all the health info that gets shared here is important and may just help someone else!
I will update after I go to the vet this week. I noticed yesterday that her growth wasn’t nearly as red. But will check with the vet this week to see the next course of action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts