Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding Tucker Raw for over 6 months now and he is doing really well. Currently Tucker gets beef, chicken, turkey, and pork and I plan on adding additional proteins in the future. I stick close to the 80% muscle, 10% bone, and 10% organ standard, but all of the organ is fed in the form of chicken liver.

Is that an acceptable way of feeding organ or is his diet not balanced if he is only getting organ in the form of chicken liver? Is it necessary to add something like beef liver or a completely different organ like kidney or another form of organ?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Liver, either chicken, beef, pork should only make up 5 of the 10% with the remainder being kidney, pancreas, brain! spleen, offal etc.

I mainly feed beef liver and kidney.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I agree. Liver has different nutrients in it than organs. For optimal health it's important to have variety and include organs. Of course Kari is right with the 5% of your 10% should only be liver. I think the proper ration is 80/10/5/5. Sometimes you need to ask around about organs. Try meat processors, butcher shops, ethnic markets/stores and even ask at the grocery store, some do have them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I guess it is time to pickup some kidney and switch from chicken liver to beef liver.

Should I be concerned at all about the last 6-7 months of only feeding chicken liver for his organ content?

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I'll definitely check them out. It must be nice to just drive there and not worry about having everything shipped.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you get the brain, do you have a local source or have it shipped frozen? Before feeding Tucker Raw I never could have imagined talking about things like this!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, it makes me feel better ordering from these places knowing that others on the forum have good experience from these companies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts