Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Original boxer recreation

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  chip18 
#1 ·
The original dog had a very different appearance than the dog that we now know and was bred to be a serious working dog unlike the modern breed. So i began to wonder is anyone in the world producing a dog similar to the original boxer dog attached below is a picture of flocky the first boxer ever registered as a stud. The breed seems to be far less brachycephalic back then.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Uh Oh?? How many "insult's," do we have to take before "someone," gets ticked off?? Well I guess the answer is "two" apparently?? :)

Well first to state the obvious?? "Modern Boxer, owner's are not eager to go "Back to the Future, as it were??" As a "general rule," most of "today's" owner's like our Dog's faces ... just the way they are!

If the "Brachycephalic ," and high heat ... is that big a deal?? Then you know ... go with an American Line Boxer. They have longer narrow muzzle's and do better in the heat. But a note of caution! I know of exactly "two," American Line Boxer's that did well in high heat!

One was an "American Line Boxer," Hog catch dog in Louisiana, in the summer time y'all. And the other was well my High Speed, High Desert, Summer time, Jack Rabbit chasing Struddell!

I did not have an Afghan Hound as a "heat tolerance compassion??" Just my American Band Dogge at the time. He did not have a "funny face," there was Gunther my "American Bandogge," the heat did not bother him either ... but in terms of "Speed," ... LOL the bunny's thought he was a joke! He moved like a "Dump Truck." But ... if the Bunny came across Stru's path and I gave the OK?? It was Game On! It was pretty dynamic to watch! But don't worry bunny fan's ... in many year's of trying ... she never caught a single one!

They would try and burn her out on the straight, which never worked ... she'd get closer and closer! Then they would always cut hard right off the straight and into the brush and then come back on the straight and sail off into the sunset. Struddell would track the hard cut like a guided missile and then decide ... I'll go to scent?? That never worked and she never figured it out??? Most likely a"Boxer Quirk?? As she never figured it out??

Moving on ... next is uh disrespecting, "Modern Boxer's," as "Working Dog's???" Well first, when/if the AKC de-list the "Boxer," as a "Working Dog??" Then I will alter my stand. But until then "Boxer's are Working Dog's." But hey as they say ... "The Devil, is in the Detail's??

For JQP a "Boxer" is a "Boxer??" But ... they are "not," all the same?? Working Dog's have job's that they are expected to do?? And American Line Boxer's and Euro Boxer's, have well different ... "Job Expectation's??

And the American Line Boxer's (Job) is to be a near "Prefect Family Pet!" And at that ... they excel! A well balanced, well adjusted typical American Line Boxer ... like's people and kid's! You "typically" don't have to worry about if your, "AL Boxer," is gonna try and take a chunk out of company at home or your kid's," cuz they don't much care for stranger's?? The biggest problem tend's to be keeping them out of company's face!

SIgh ... old story but many year's ago ... I tried to find at least one "American Line Boxer," that did the typical "Military or LE, thing, in the US??" And I did find, exactly "One!" But I was too late and that one dog was "retired," and that was now 20 year's ago?? I have never found another such???

But the "Euro Boxer's," LOL well that is a "different deal!" The Euro Boxer's are still the "Real Deal," Modern Day "Working Line Dog's!" They never lost that "tag" in Europe anyway. And in the states??? Well ... you have to know where to look?? For LE Boxer's, they all seem to be in the Mid West and hail from and most seem to hail form Boxer's Von Bachbeck ... meet Cliff vom Grand Kevin.

The real freaking deal! And if you mess up in the "Mid West and get pulled over by a K9 unit??" Your very likely to see a "Boxer and not a Wl GSD or a Mal! All the K9 unit's near me, use Wl GSD's. And I stay well the hell clear of them! Cuz a lot of LE K9 handler's aren't that freaking good! IE they can't control there freaking dog's!! But ... that's another story. :)

But my point is just because "you" don't see "Working Boxer's," where you are ... does not mean they can't do the job ... just saying.

And as to why not ...well compared to a WL GSD or a Mal, Boxer's are a PIA to train?? A Pro I recall, although I don't know who?? Once said "He can train train three WL GSD's, in the same amount of time it take's him to train one Boxer!" Having had both Breed's myself, I would say ...Yeah. :)

But my point is LE Boxer are in America! Not near me ... all the K9 unit's near me (uh about block away from my house are all Wl GSD's.) I live near a police sub station and I see the K9 unit's all the time. And frankly ... I don't go anywhere near those cop's are there dog's! Cuz some of those "K9, handler's " aren't that freaking good! They can't necessarily control, there bite trained WL GSD's! And it is ... a 24/7 job to keep the public and uh there kid's ... safe from some of there "WL GSD k9," partner's ... don't ask!

But ... the different face/muzzle bit?? Aww well if one wants that look?? It's not that hard to find?? You just need to know where to look?? Boxer's are in the Mossolor Group!

And you don't need to change the "look," of the modern day "Boxer," if you want a less "squishy face??" You just need to know ... where to look?? And of course the first that comes to mind is the Pit/Boxer mix. You don't get the "Boxer/Bull Dog, Dogish, face?? You get more of a ... slightly less broad Pit Face but not as ... "squishy as a Boxer face." But you get more of a modern day Boxer body. Deep Chest and smaller waist. And these day's there are no shortage of them ... sadly??

And yeah the face of the original Boxer, has changed but so has the body. The over stuffed sausage look is long gone.A big chest and a trim waist has replaced it.

I doubt you will find anyone "Breeding," for that type of look today?? The "look," of the Modern Boxer is cast in stone?? And I doubt many are clamoring for a change??

But hey if your gonna be ... "Anal," for the oldish day's and don't want the ... "F'd," up face?? Just get a Boxer/Pit and you know problem solved! You don't get the brachycephalic face of the modern day Boxer's. But you did get the same deep chest and slim waist as the modern Boxer. And you also get the same PIA, behaviors that you would expect in a Boxer. :)

But ... if the "Modern Boxer," is not your thing?? Hey no problem. Dog's have not stop evolving?? The Doodle Fad is one example. But real deal PPD, are out there also! Meet the "modern," Banddogge!"

Short tall, funny face or "normal" face picky your choice.The newest example and "now" an AKC member is the ... "Dogo Argentino!

And if you dig a bit deeper ... you will find that make up of the Dogo includes the Boxer! " :)

And yeah sure the Dogo is a bigger dog ... but look deeper and you will, see a "deep chest and a tiny waist!" AKA a Bigger Boxer without the "funny head."

Dog's have not stopped evolving?? But I doubt any one who own;s a modern day breed of any type??Want's to go "back" to the way they were??

The Modern Day Boxer ... looks just fine in my "opinion." And folks's don't seem to be interested in a change?? But if that "look" is an issue for anyone?? Get a short,tall funny face or "normal face," Band Dogge" and call it a day. And note the modern day Boxer owe's it face to the "English Bull Dog!" So you know what you would expect them to look like??? :)

#5 ·
Uh Oh?? How many "insult's," do we have to take before "someone," gets ticked off?? Well I guess the answer is "two" apparently?? :)

Well first to state the obvious?? "Modern Boxer, owner's are not eager to go "Back to the Future, as it were??" As a "general rule," most of "today's" owner's like our Dog's faces ... just the way they are!

If the "Brachycephalic ," and high heat ... is that big a deal?? Then you know ... go with an American Line Boxer. They have longer narrow muzzle's and do better in the heat. But a note of caution! I know of exactly "two," American Line Boxer's that did well in high heat!

One was an "American Line Boxer," Hog catch dog in Louisiana, in the summer time y'all. And the other was well my High Speed, High Desert, Summer time, Jack Rabbit chasing Struddell!

I did not have an Afghan Hound as a "heat tolerance compassion??" Just my American Band Dogge at the time. He did not have a "funny face," there was Gunther my "American Bandogge," the heat did not bother him either ... but in terms of "Speed," ... LOL the bunny's thought he was a joke! He moved like a "Dump Truck." But ... if the Bunny came across Stru's path and I gave the OK?? It was Game On! It was pretty dynamic to watch! But don't worry bunny fan's ... in many year's of trying ... she never caught a single one!

They would try and burn her out on the straight, which never worked ... she'd get closer and closer! Then they would always cut hard right off the straight and into the brush and then come back on the straight and sail off into the sunset. Struddell would track the hard cut like a guided missile and then decide ... I'll go to scent?? That never worked and she never figured it out??? Most likely a"Boxer Quirk?? As she never figured it out??

Moving on ... next is uh disrespecting, "Modern Boxer's," as "Working Dog's???" Well first, when/if the AKC de-list the "Boxer," as a "Working Dog??" Then I will alter my stand. But until then "Boxer's are Working Dog's." But hey as they say ... "The Devil, is in the Detail's??

For JQP a "Boxer" is a "Boxer??" But ... they are "not," all the same?? Working Dog's have job's that they are expected to do?? And American Line Boxer's and Euro Boxer's, have well different ... "Job Expectation's??

And the American Line Boxer's (Job) is to be a near "Prefect Family Pet!" And at that ... they excel! A well balanced, well adjusted typical American Line Boxer ... like's people and kid's! You "typically" don't have to worry about if your, "AL Boxer," is gonna try and take a chunk out of company at home or your kid's," cuz they don't much care for stranger's?? The biggest problem tend's to be keeping them out of company's face!

SIgh ... old story but many year's ago ... I tried to find at least one "American Line Boxer," that did the typical "Military or LE, thing, in the US??" And I did find, exactly "One!" But I was too late and that one dog was "retired," and that was now 20 year's ago?? I have never found another such???

But the "Euro Boxer's," LOL well that is a "different deal!" The Euro Boxer's are still the "Real Deal," Modern Day "Working Line Dog's!" They never lost that "tag" in Europe anyway. And in the states??? Well ... you have to know where to look?? For LE Boxer's, they all seem to be in the Mid West and hail from and most seem to hail form Boxer's Von Bachbeck ... meet Cliff vom Grand Kevin.

The real freaking deal! And if you mess up in the "Mid West and get pulled over by a K9 unit??" Your very likely to see a "Boxer and not a Wl GSD or a Mal! All the K9 unit's near me, use Wl GSD's. And I stay well the hell clear of them! Cuz a lot of LE K9 handler's aren't that freaking good! IE they can't control there freaking dog's!! But ... that's another story. :)

But my point is just because "you" don't see "Working Boxer's," where you are ... does not mean they can't do the job ... just saying.

And as to why not ...well compared to a WL GSD or a Mal, Boxer's are a PIA to train?? A Pro I recall, although I don't know who?? Once said "He can train train three WL GSD's, in the same amount of time it take's him to train one Boxer!" Having had both Breed's myself, I would say ...Yeah. :)

But my point is LE Boxer are in America! Not near me ... all the K9 unit's near me (uh about block away from my house are all Wl GSD's.) I live near a police sub station and I see the K9 unit's all the time. And frankly ... I don't go anywhere near those cop's are there dog's! Cuz some of those "K9, handler's " aren't that freaking good! They can't necessarily control, there bite trained WL GSD's! And it is ... a 24/7 job to keep the public and uh there kid's ... safe from some of there "WL GSD k9," partner's ... don't ask!

But ... the different face/muzzle bit?? Aww well if one wants that look?? It's not that hard to find?? You just need to know where to look?? Boxer's are in the Mossolor Group!

And you don't need to change the "look," of the modern day "Boxer," if you want a less "squishy face??" You just need to know ... where to look?? And of course the first that comes to mind is the Pit/Boxer mix. You don't get the "Boxer/Bull Dog, Dogish, face?? You get more of a ... slightly less broad Pit Face but not as ... "squishy as a Boxer face." But you get more of a modern day Boxer body. Deep Chest and smaller waist. And these day's there are no shortage of them ... sadly??

And yeah the face of the original Boxer, has changed but so has the body. The over stuffed sausage look is long gone.A big chest and a trim waist has replaced it.

I doubt you will find anyone "Breeding," for that type of look today?? The "look," of the Modern Boxer is cast in stone?? And I doubt many are clamoring for a change??

But hey if your gonna be ... "Anal," for the oldish day's and don't want the ... "F'd," up face?? Just get a Boxer/Pit and you know problem solved! You don't get the brachycephalic face of the modern day Boxer's. But you did get the same deep chest and slim waist as the modern Boxer. And you also get the same PIA, behaviors that you would expect in a Boxer. :)

But ... if the "Modern Boxer," is not your thing?? Hey no problem. Dog's have not stop evolving?? The Doodle Fad is one example. But real deal PPD, are out there also! Meet the "modern," Banddogge!"

Short tall, funny face or "normal" face picky your choice.The newest example and "now" an AKC member is the ... "Dogo Argentino!

And if you dig a bit deeper ... you will find that make up of the Dogo includes the Boxer! " :)

And yeah sure the Dogo is a bigger dog ... but look deeper and you will, see a "deep chest and a tiny waist!" AKA a Bigger Boxer without the "funny head."

Dog's have not stopped evolving?? But I doubt any one who own;s a modern day breed of any type??Want's to go "back" to the way they were??

The Modern Day Boxer ... looks just fine in my "opinion." And folks's don't seem to be interested in a change?? But if that "look" is an issue for anyone?? Get a short,tall funny face or "normal face," Band Dogge" and call it a day. And note the modern day Boxer owe's it face to the "English Bull Dog!" So you know what you would expect them to look like??? :)
I really like my boxer i have just seen similar projects with the cane corso and the olde english bulldogge was just curious if any such project existed with boxers. Didnt not meantotick any one off lol I guess i can sound cynical at times but it is not intentional.

#7 ·
The Olde English Bulldogge ?? Well there you go! "Technically," that could be also be "classified" as an American Band Bandogge! Which in it's "Broadest since," means ... any tie Dog tied to the Moloosser Breeds.

And that would be pretty much any combo one chooses of these guy's.:

And if the "combo," does not exist and the "creator" has not gone thru the effort of crating a consistent type and getting it certified ... it's a "Banddogge!" :)

The Dogo Argentino "is" basically a Band Banddogge. But the "creator of the breed" ... wanted his dog's recognized by the AKC and he jumped thru all the hoop's and hurtle's to get it done! I think it took around 40 year's or so to get done but he did. They were official recognized as a "Breed," about 5 year's ago?? And they have Boxer, in there DNA ... specifically in order to be gentle with family!

The Olde English Bulldogge ... is most likely closer to the same deal?? But not really "creating a new "Moloosser," just ... "improving," on the one that already exist. The Olde Bulldogge Bull Dog, is essentially a less "F,D" up version of the English Dog! A less jacked up face and real leg's! More like the "original dog" is what he say's??

The CC's I don't that much about "exactly??" Old school's Dog's of War from Roman times?? The Band Dogge guy's use them also cause you know they are uh big and can be uh ... fierce! :)

I had a chance to get one for "free!" But I had to pass cuz the dog had an ... "issue??" He did not like women! Personally, I felt I could have "rehabbed him???" But I'm not a "Pro!" And while I have no issue but myself in harm's way aka Rocky (My first Wl GSD) I could not put my wife in harm's way, while I "figured stuff out??"

And back on point the "modern day Boxer??" Well they are fine (for the most part) sitting aside the assorted "Health Issue's," no one really want's them changed?? Aside from the Neurological and Cancer issue's, for JQP as a "Family Pet," Boxer's are pretty near perfect .Tho you know they can be PIA's at times. :)

You can't change that face and still call it a Boxer?? But much as I luv the group of "Molosser's," as a whole. Compared to a WL GSD or a Mal?? They uh kinda suck?? Hard to motivate and pigged headed and stubborn does seem to be a "Breed Characteristic??"

They just don't tend to do well in the IPO field as a group?? Cept for "Boxer," fans and LE folks is the Mid West?? No one that is seriously into the IPO thing ... has the time or patience to deal with a Boxer!

And most likely those folks have only seen an American Line Boxer?? Most folks's don't really know what a Euro Boxer is these day's?? On Germanshepardforum ... they pretty much thought of Boxer's as "Skinny and Insipid! Until I showed them "Cliff" LOL ... he got respect!

Stiff any "Molosser/combo," you chose vs "Working Dog," as a class is just a lot more of a hassle?? That just seem's to be a thing?? IPO/LE/Military dog's and such are not really independent "thinker's??" They Do Look To the Handler For Direction! Molosser's as a group ... not so much??

But hey you know chose your poison cuz if a Personnel Protection Dog, is your thing. Any Moloosser or combo thereof ... would have your back!!

Heck some people think Boxer's look scary?? So you know ramp it up and walk with a Cane Corso, I don't think you'd get a lot of ...my I pet your dog question's??

g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.