Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a little bit of confusement to do with what to feed Freddie we've finally found a brand that he seems to really like - we give it to him with a bit of bio-yoghurt as well. We were recommended the brand from a boxer owner with an 8yr old boxer that looked fantastic and he was really happy with the food so after trying it I'm also impressed at the moment.

We're currently feeding him the Fish and Potato food. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the ingredients and whether it seems a good food? There's actually very little choice in the UK for quality petfood.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Haven't heard of these around here but the general consensus of the forum seems to be feed what your dog likes and does well on and it varies ALOT :lol: If you check the Food Tips topic there is a sticky on how to grade your pets food, might give you some ideas on your food.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hi,
Sorry, I haven't heard of that food either, and it seems you have to send off to get the ingredients in the dog food.  If you have a copy of the ingredients, post them and we can help you analyze it better.
Personally, I like this website better www.dogfoodanalysis.com you can read a lot of great information there and learn which ingredients are good, and which are not good for your dog.  you can also look at the higher rated foods and compare the ingredients to the ingredients in your food to kind of see where it stands.
HTH

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Back when I was living in Northern Ireland (8 yrs ago), I didn't know what I know now, but I remember that I didn't see a whole lot available....Iams, Eukanuba, and a few others. Heather lives in the UK, hopefully she will check in and maybe be able to give you some answers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of this information and it's really good to have a list of TOP UK kibbles. With that in mind is it best to stick with one particular food for ever or is it okay to chop and change. I.e. one month give him Oscars then the next give him Burns or even morning food give him Oscars then evening meal give him a different food?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I tend to rotate flavors and brands.  I think it gives IMO a better overall nutrition.   Also by sticking with the same kibble forever, you dog could have a higher risk of developing alergies to the kibble.  By rotating brand and protein sources you are giving them different things, balancing out nutrition (again IMO) and making their food less boring because its not the same thing all the time.

When I was feeding kibble, I normally rotates every six months or so.  Also you find out what your dogs like and dislikes.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I feed Arden Grange and my two (well, three now) are doing really well on it.  No allergy issues, nice solid stools (which is a lot to be thankful for when you're cleaning them up!) and no issues with bad breath/smelly coat, anything like that.  I started them off on the Premium chicken, then had them on salmon for a while (however, the kibble in that one is huge, which they weren't mad about).  They're currently on the lamb version and that seems to be their absolute favourite.  I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this food.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks once again for everyone's fantastic and valuable input. I'm so please I found this forum, wish I'd have found it months ago though  :wink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've found it difficult finding foods here in the uk that match up with those available in the US!
I've tried various foods for Daisy before but we have found that the one that seems to suit her best is Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive salmon and rice. We have tried James Wellbeloved before too but Daisy seems to do much better on the Pro Plan.
Freddie is gorgeous by the way!

Heather

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heather-mumofdaisy\";p=\"69382 said:
I've found it difficult finding foods here in the uk that match up with those available in the US! I've tried various foods for Daisy before but we have found that the one that seems to suit her best is Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive salmon and rice. We have tried James Wellbeloved before too but Daisy seems to do much better on the Pro Plan.
Freddie is gorgeous by the way!

Heather
It does seem that we have to hunt high and low in the UK to find a decent quality of food whereas in the US they seem to get choice wherever they go. We're currently feeding Freddie on the Oscars Fish and Potato which is probably the first food where it really looks as though he's enjoying it. Well, worth a try. Obviously it depends on the dog, as with humans, one dog may like something that the other doesn't but Freddie was pretty fussy with his food and generally left it and kept on going back and nibbling away at it until we got this Oscars food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts