Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started on weds..In the morning when we were going to take him on his routine walk he seemed wobbly when he was walking..Like he was drunk...We didn't think anything of it at that time since he just woke up and just thought he was tired. Then Thurs we noticed a huge change..You can def tell his motor functions were not running properly and he was just all over the place..Walking sideways ,slipping while walking..Almost tipping over....So when we saw this we took him to vet IMMEDIATELY without any hesitation..The vet did some testing and noticed his eye movements that directed to think it's def neurological...Either he had a stoke,,,bleed,,,or a brain tumor..He mentioned he wanted to do blood work and hoped he was wrong. But the blood work came back fine..He said we can do a MRI but advised us that it is very expensive and we have to think right now quality of life...The drooling is def excessive ...He doesn't eat we have to hand feed him soft food due to not being able to chew it...He just looks drugged up when he looks at u...And we noticed yest when he blinks his eyes move up and back to place like a lizard...
So now its monday and he can barely walk and I am soo heartbroken since tyson was our 1st dog that we ever owned together...And will be the 1st dog that we will lose as well...Is it time for us to say goodbye to him? He still wagging his tail when he sees us...Hes a very loving dog and I will miss him more then anything....Just going to be very hard to cope with him not being here...
Can't really fathom on whats going on in his head..I don't know if hes pain but he is suffering :(....

·
Registered
77 Posts
No one can tell you the right thing to do. There are a million what ifs. Answer this though. Will he get better? Does he have quality or is he suffering? What is your heart telling you? How long will you debate this?
Its hard. But I'm sure you'll do the right thing either way.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I'm sorry he is having a difficult time. But no one will tell you what you should do or when its time to send him to the bridge. Its a very hard and personal decision that your family will need to make when you feel it is the right time. WE will be here to support you in whatever your decisions are.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
And we noticed yest when he blinks his eyes move up and back to place like a lizard....
I'm not sure from your description but take a look at the symptoms of Vestibular Disease in the link below. A lot of your other symptoms fit the description.

If it is Vestibular Disease then it looks much worse than it is. My last dog made a 90% recovery after a few weeks.

Idiopathic or ?Old Dog? Vestibular Disease | The Bark

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
You can ask to get a referral to a neurologist to get a better idea of what you are dealing with. I'm so sorry you and your boy are going through this.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Vestibular disease can cause the eye balls to roll around in odd ways. It could also cause nausea where the dog is not normally hungry. If he can make it outside to eliminate, and is not in pain, you could wait a couple weeks to see if the symptoms are slowly going away.

I've had a couple bouts of the above, and it's like being on a carnival ride where the floor drops out. Awful stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Vestibular can be treated with antibiotics if its in the brain (sometimes its just an ear infection but it involves a major head tilt,with nausea and wobbliness-they don't eat much either) have it diagnose quickly because when a dog stop eating,it goes down rapidly :(

Marshall just went through this (ear infection) and still shows a bit of a head tilt ...took almost a month

1 - 8 of 8 Posts