Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am so distraught over this.  My boxer has not shown any aggression towards people or kids except for the neighbor boy who has tormented our boxer over the fence with golf clubs, which my husband caught him doing, spitting and more.  this kid has thrown pet quail into our backyard and watched rudie play.  i was mortified when that happened.  we have spoke to his grandmother about this and it's been five years the first 2 were hard b/c we had so much problems with the neighbor boy but  the neighbor boy has grown and we haven't had any problems with him lately.  i don't think our boxer forgot what was done to him.  i do not let my boxer out when the boy is out. my son had friends over and they were running in and out and around the yard and the dog got out.   i was not present when this happen and my husband said it was when his chasing our 2.5 yr old and it happened.  our neighbor boy had to have 17 stiches yesterday.  i will go over to see how he is today.  i feel horrible that my dog could injure a child.  has anyone had this happen?  we've had plenty of kids over with our boxer.  he has never shown aggression towards them.  we have him since he was a puppy.  our boxer is very well behaved

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My boxer has not shown any aggression towards people or kids except for the neighbor boy who has tormented our boxer over the fence with golf clubs, which my husband caught him doing, spitting and more.
Boxers have many different kinds of drives, most common known is prey drive.   However one that is somewhat overlooked is defensive drive which is taught in Schutzhund training.  It explains why the dog will do many of things if it feels threatened.   Most likely is growling and barking.  However if something taunts the dog and the growling and barking does not stop the behavior or the thing that is taunting it, then its next action is self protection or they enter what is called the "RED ZONE".      So I am assuming this is the situation.   The little shat neighbor taunts your dog.   He gets into a defensive state by growling barking etc.   The pip squeak does not stop and does this continually.   At some point the dog is going to say "ENOUGH" is enough and going to cross from defensive mode to Red Zone where nothing except the bite will make the taunting stop.

So, IMO I would work with the other family.  I personally think the end results was from years of teasing the dog, and the dog just had about enough.   I would contact maybe a behaviorist who can work with you on things you can do maybe like master a recall if the dog gets out etc, as well as the parents of the kids talk to them about his behavior.  Hopefully it was an isolated incident and the kid will learn, but you always got to becareful because humans have much more rights than dogs when it comes to biting, even if it were not the dogs fault.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Well put Heather!

Think about it as if you were your boxer and someone kept poking you with a stick or getting in your face making noises. You can only handle so much before you'd snap too and get mad too.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I am very sorry that this has happened. Hannah gave you good advice.  This young man got what he deserved and he asked for every bit of it.  It is unfortunate that people are so insensitive to animals.  I would talk to the family about the behavior of the child.  It is your responsibility to keep your dog protected from it happening again by supervising when he is outside.  Keep us posted.

Nano

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm exhausted and my heart hurts.   Animal Control came over and he has to be house quarantined for 10 days and then they will come back for a visit.  We will have a court hearing.  I went over this morning to see how he was doing and they are really shooked up as i am too.  the boy said it's ok or i'm ok, but i was devastated just to see that he had bandages on his face.  the grandmother nor my husband saw what happened, there wasn't any growl or screaming.  it was quick and rudie sat back down, didn't chase him or anything, but the boy ran and we didn't know what happened.  rudie is a level four, for dangerouse behavior, the highest is 5.  this is his first bite ever.   the grandmother knows the history with the boy and rudie, but rudie has always growled at the boy before and i have told the boy that rudie is still upset with him.  the boy would ask why rudie would growl at him and i told him because you were mean.  the officer today said that dogs don't forget.  as a mother i wouldn't want my child to be bitten.  i totally trust rudie around my kids.  my 2.5 year old jumps and tugs and bangs him on the head and rudie doesn't bat an eye.  we had 5 boys running around the day it happened and rudie played and played, i think rudie knew what he wanted for a long time.  i always brought him in when the boy was out and with the other boys playing he got out.  it's no excuse. i am very sorry that this has happened.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i am sure as i would be that it hurts you that it happend BUT you should have NEVVER had to keep your dog in the house jsut b/c these kid who thinks its cool to tease a dog was outside..thats insane !!! and the kid is super lucky that it wasnt a more resentful dog !!!
i can only think back to my dogs of the past...and i cant see my pit or american bully being that patient being poked and teased...especially when they arent used to it and their own kids at home dont do that..they are animals foe god's sake...of course they are going to lash back at some point !!!

that grandmother needs to realize her own mistake in all the times she was told the kid was doing this...its NOT fair that you are going throuigh this heartache now b/c that woman didnt pay attention to the child that i guess shes responsible for...mother or grandmother...we all know when we have a child that would never tease or torment an animal and a child that WOULD !!! YOU JUST KNOW

again i am so sorry you are going through this..thats aweful but it sounds like animal control undertands

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can't sleep.  the grandmother did mention that the boy asked while he was getting his stiches.  do you think rudie did this to me b/c i poked him with sticks.......out of all the kids in the neighborhood, all the kids from cub scouts from school, my dog picked this one out.  i think i'm going to need therapy.  i'm sick to my stomach

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would make sure you get a good lawyer for this.  Don't depend on Animal Controls help.  

Nano

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO - I think that boy the boy and the dog need to work this out to get over it.   Once they boys heals, IMO  I would hire a behaviorist and work with the grandmother and the boy to start letting the dog know he is not going to harm him, and the boy to know the proper way to deal with a dog.   If they (dog and boy) dont work this out with the help of a professional, then it could only happen again.   The dog needs to realize the boy is no threat and he does not know that esp from all the taunting, and the boy, need to know how to properly treat an animal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well I certainly don't agree with the angle that the kid got what was coming to him.  Unless the kid was holding the stick in his hand and taunting, poking, hitting the dog that day (or at least very recently) there is certainly no excuse for a dog chasing down a kid and biting them giving them 17 stitches.  It sounds like this kid has been behaving much better the past 2 years.  Hopefully people who read this learn about the importance of dog supervision around children and positive socialization experiences for our dogs.  I don't mean to be judgmental but the only way for this dog to be repeatedly taunted is for it to be unsupervised.

This is a very problematic behavior and you're at risk of losing your dog.  Professional dog training, perhaps a behaviorist if you can find one, increased socialization and better supervision will probably be required to see your dog through the rest of his/her years.  I believe most states will take very, VERY serious actions if your dog bites again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't blame the dog at all. the boy should have been punished years ago for taunting the dog. If the grandma knew it was happening, why wasn't it stopped after the first time?
golf clubs, spitting, throwing live animals over the fence?! COME ON, what is wrong with that child?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, i agree about the behaviorlist and i've been searching the internet for one.  i spoke to my husband after this happen about taking rudie to one because i don't want a vicious dog and i don't want this to happen nor did i ever think this would happen.  i hope that we can heal this situation.  our dog is our responsibility.  we have complained several times to hud housing which owns their home and to the grandmother about this.  the boy would torment our dog when we were gone while our dog was in the back yard.  we'd catch him, scold him and talk with his grandmother pn several occasions.  the child does have problems. he has been a menance in the past to the neighborhood. there is a history for this child.  i have tried to be the good neighbor.  i fall for the under achiever that's why this is so upsetting.  we have a good relationship, at the time of the bite i was in the house getting the grandmother medicine and my husband was outside with our dog.  but like i said we've had kids playing for two hours before and our dog had no problem. thank you for all your support.  i will live it in GOD's hand.  you can see rudie in the gallery photos.  thank your for the prayers.  i will let everyone know how this week plays out.  i will check on my neighbor again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel so deeply for everyone involved in this situation.
Yes, all dog owners are responsible for their pets - HOWEVER, the family of the boy shouldbe responsible for their child!  When told about the taunting of the dog, something should have been done.  Also, if they knew of a problem, better monitoring of his behavior in his yard should have taken place.

The boy needs counseling - perhaps, obedience training!

Reports tell you that most adults with behavior issues started out abusing/killing innocent animals.  This is usually an indication of serious problems later in life.

There needs to be resepect for all life!

When you speak to workers at rescue sites, they inform you that a dog may successfully get past a traumatic situation, but they never forget.  If adults don't, how can we expect a dog to.

The dog was in his yard, protecting his turf!  That is what is nature to the dog.  A child hanging over the fence tormenting the dog should raise serious red flags to his family!

I feel sorry for the young boy, and for your family, as well - BUT, my heart aches for the dog.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I feel so bad for you.That is terrible situation to be in,can't even imagine going through something like that myself!I hope everything will work out and you ,your dog and the child can start putting it behind you.I agree you will have to get some professional help.Good luck!!!

G

·
0 Posts
i've been bitten twice in the last year by boxers... once in the face which left a good scar.  none of them were my dogs.

the first one i grabbed a collar to break up a dog fight between my boxer and a deaf boxer. my mistake.

the 2nd bite i have no idea - just a snarl and locked on to my chin.  i knew the owner and wouldn't think of doing anything about it.  it was a fluke.

one thing you're probably going to have to do, is limit excitement and play time with the kids you do trust.  2 hours is a pretty long time for dogs to play.  boxers can escalate when they get over tired.

the kid is a problem, but as any animal control or probably a behaviorist will tell you, it's the dog that will suffer and be labeled as a vicious dog.  you're very lucky that they let him stay under house quarantine, so try to work with them as much as possible.

put up no tresspassing signs on your property to keep the kid away.

it will work out, so don't stress too much about it and try to find a good behaviorist.  if it becomes too much for you financially or otherwise, please don't get rid of the dog!  you might also put in a call to your local/state boxer rescue - they might be able to help you with the behavioral issue, since they deal with behavior problems all the time.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Make sure you get a behaviorist who is certified by the BCCAB or CBC for this.  Not just someone claiming to be one.  There is literally no montoring of the dog training field and basically any one may call themselves a dog trainer.

Nano

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
OH ANIMAL CONTROL... we went through this twice in Indiana w/ my lab.  He has been quarintined twice and gone to court twice, once more and he has to be put asleep.

Snickers our lab was pushed around and messed w/ as a puppy by black kids and now he is racist toward them.  If someone rings the doorbell, i can tell from his bark if they are black or white.  (he has gotten a lot better bc my sisters friends who are black are over a lot now).  BUT... in two instinces... same family... snickers bit a boy and a girl that were running through our yard.  First the girl then 2 years later the boy... Though looking at the boys "bite" it looks more like a scratch.

Animal control does not care what happened, any wound from an animal is counted and u must go to court.  Our court, there is no lawyers, u show up talk to someone they go over everything, dog NEVER EVER wins.  Snickers bit someone running through our yard but that means nothing, and he was in his fence.  

We have had to pay 500 for each bite and u leave

1 - 20 of 47 Posts