Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet our boy Bigz! We got him yesterday and he's fitting in nicely! Does he look skinny to anyone else? He eats one cut twice a day, is that enough?

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
He's handsome :)

Yeah,he is underweight,how old is he and what weight is he at right now?

You shouldnt see the spine at all,too many ribs showing but it should be easy and quick to prop him back where he should be

What are you feeding him,and what quantities would help as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He eats 1 cup twice a day of Perfomatin ultra chicken and rice. I plan to transition him to a grain free Acana but didnt want too much change too quickly. He is 5 years young this month! He is SUPER well behaved and is loving the kids and our house. He has barked only once at the dog next door cause he wanted to play. Im going to see the vet tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Well,that doesnt sound like enough

Remember,feed them for the weight you want,not the weight they are at :) (without exagerating!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dog has a similar case where her ribs are showing. Vet recommended to add water to the dry dog food. Surprisingly it worked today. Mine would only eat once a day at 3 cups of Royal Canin. You can spoil these guys too much.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Congrats on getting Bigz, you are right to keep him on the same food for a couple of weeks until he has settled in your home. Then do the transition to the Acana - nice choice. You could try doing 1 & 1/2 cups twice a day; then look at his body condition in a few weeks. I would also suggest to put his food and water in a ceramic or stainless steel bowls. He looks like a handsome lad. I love the second pic - such a sweet face!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gorgeous boy. A little skinny but looks in good condition. Following on from what mom2titan said I'd raise his bowls. Bowls on the floor just put extra strain on their joints. Especially as they get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice! We got him some nice bowls and are having him a special raised dish made. He went for a meet and greet at the vet and he said 1 1/2 cups of food for now and he needs to gain 2 lbs. Other than that hes settling in well. He did bolt out the front door and send me in a sprint down our street in my slippers! I was told he didnt do that and that he walked amazingly well but he did and he also pulls me down the street. Any training advice for pulling and bolting? He stays like a champ in the house and follows directions like a champ until the door opens or we are out of the house. I read some stuff but so far its not working, advice please?!!?!??!

We love him soooooo much!! We got so lucky!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My boy was so old and placid that I sometimes forget what he was like as a pup.

I never managed to stop his pulling. He pulled like a train every where!! But once he got older (past 4) he calmed down. To the point I didn't need a lead. He'd just trot along beside me. Same with the bolting. They'll take every opportunity they get.

Maybe try an extendable lead when out? If he pulls stop dead in your tracks and turn opposite way. Apparently he should get the message that if he pulls he doesn't get to go in the direction he wants.

Maybe try you tube for training vids?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! We got him some nice bowls and are having him a special raised dish made. He went for a meet and greet at the vet and he said 1 1/2 cups of food for now and he needs to gain 2 lbs. Other than that hes settling in well. He did bolt out the front door and send me in a sprint down our street in my slippers! I was told he didnt do that and that he walked amazingly well but he did and he also pulls me down the street. Any training advice for pulling and bolting? He stays like a champ in the house and follows directions like a champ until the door opens or we are out of the house. I read some stuff but so far its not working, advice please?!!?!??!

We love him soooooo much!! We got so lucky!
We have always made our guy sit and stay at the door and we go out the door first, he is not permitted to until we give him the command free time. That is his word for knowing it is ok for him to move from his sit/stay. I do not recommend a retrackable lead as you will never have good control. A plain leather or nylon 6 ft lead will be fine. We also used a prong collar , google Jeff Gellmans videos on training and they will teach you the proper use.

Now that you have had him for a few days he will probably test you a bit to see what he can get away with. Just keep everything structured, feeding time, walking time, play time, bed time etc. He looks to be a really nice dog so I would think slow and steady training to your schedule will work out fine. Lots of luck !

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I agree with Lindar51; patience & perseverance. I have two boys and we also make them do the sit/wait and even at 5 yrs old they can still get very excited when it is someone they like at the front door. I don't open until they are sitting and staying! Jeff Gellman has some really good videos - take a look. You can also practice NILF (nothing in life for free) sit for a treat, sit for dinner, wait while you go out the door first etc. I too use 6' leads in nylon and have a 4' lead in leather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hes doing well sitting at the door and then i tell him outside and he comes out with me and then I make him sit before we go in and I say In so he knows he can go in.

Todays adventure, Bicycles. So we took a short walk to the bus stop to get the kids and we stand on a driveway of a house and their son came home on his bike and Bigz started crying (he makes this crazy donkey like sound) and lunging at him. I got him to sit eventually but then he sat at cried in the direction of the bike. Once over that another person rode their bike across the stress and he did the same thing, lunging and jumping and crying like someone was hurting him, until the man passed by. THen he was happy as a clam to see the kids get off the bus. It was weird. I asked his foster mom and she said he didnt do that for her, weird, Im hoping all these fears will go away when he feel secure with us. He wont take treats when we go for walks, hes too distracted. We are going to have a trainer come by and do a in home session with us, really for me, Ill add this to the list of what we need help with.

He had a beautiful walk in the am and sat very nicely at the door when the UPS guy left something. He goes to his crate to sleep and all i have to say is "Go to Bed" and off he goes! Those of you who have rescued, when do you generally find the dog starts to feel at home? Anything else I can do to help him feel like part of the family! He gets lots of love and the boys and I love to play with him. Im also waiting to get over my anxiety and I think he feels that. I know hes testing me and I want to pass!! To be the pack leader. Gosh i knew this wasnt going to be a walk in the park, but he does some stuff I wasnt expecting either. Thanks everyone for your expert advice and patience with me!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
love the new bowls and stand!! His collar is gorgeous too. Bigz is very handsome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good looking pup. I can't help but call a boxer a pup. They will age but will always be playful like a puppy.
We feed Logan blue buffalo and he is a healthy 75 lbs. my coworker who has had boxers his whole life recommended that brand. He had used it since it came out and says is better on their stomach.
For training we tried many things and the vet recommended a shock collar. We used it very little on a low setting and in a week he doesn't need it at all. Now we only put it on when company is coming over. And just with it on he knows to behave and not jump up.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts