Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since we have gotten Reeko Ive seen quite a temper in him! Its only with Roxy. She seems to antagonize him by barking, growling, pawing, ect. So its starts off with him giving his "ugly face" as I call it then he lunges at her. He seems to be all talk lol But what do you guys think? Is this a bad sign about his temperment? Dominance? Seeing how hes only been with us about 2 months. Do you think hes still trying to "dominate" her? When I see him do his "ugly face" I say uh uh Reeko loudly. Then I remove him from the situation. Like if they are on the bed I take him off. Am I doing it right? Is there anything else I can do? It seems to only be when shes being a loud mouth. I usually yell at her for that too just to avoid the situation. He has a bit of food aggression too towards Roxy but its getting better with the kibble. But I havent and dont want to test him with RAW lol. Id be mad if someone tried stealing my food too. Roxy has learned her boundries with him though.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He is a pup and IMO,  Kash does that when he wants to play - paws, barks growls, etc and hanna to him.  My rule of thumb, as long as mane is not up, and they are not physically attacking, then they are just playing or setting boundries.  At times my two will sound like they are in Mike Vicks backyard fighting, however if you watch them, Hanna has become more vocal playing since Kash, and he will lunge at her, they do mouth play, and then he growls barks and go right back at her.  I though she may be harming him (shes' bigger) but if she were, he'd be running for the hills but he goes right back.  They also chicken bone....this is trying to pull the back leg of each other.

I would say if is not violent, then its just play, but keep an eye on it.   Its only been two months so not to sound like the dog whisper (dont belive some of this things, others I do) maybe they are trying to establish their position in the pack?  

Is it violent??  Physcial where one gets hurt??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Delilah does that, but its coming from a 6 year old to an annoying 8 month old pup, the other way around! lol.  Felix does the same thing Roxy does, pawing her face and back, barking and play growling to get her to play, and if she isn't in the mood she gives him the face and lunges.  At first I yelled at her for doing it too, but then I realized she is just trying to tell him to knock it off (and he doesn't get subtlety!)  Now, I let her do her thing and would only intervene if she was hurting him. She hasn't yet, and I don't expect her to.  Although if she always got in trouble for lunging at him (as a warning) she might just let it get to the point that she's had enough jumps on him and hurts him.

So, IMO let him have room to tell her to lay off.  After they get used to each other he will probably let up a bit, hopefully.  And hopefully Roxy will learn his boundaries too. It took 3 months for Delilah to start playing with Felix after we got him.  If anything, let Reeko have some time away from her, as it sounds like she is intimidating/annoying to him.

As for the food aggression, Delilah has that too a bit.  She doesn't like Felix around her bowl when there is food in it.  I feed them separately- her in the kitchen and him in the crate so its basically a non issue.  I just make sure not to give them bones or other food when they are together, they can share toys fine though.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Cindi, I think both Roxy & Reeko are still working on boundaries, especially as Reeko IS still a pup....I agree with what Heather said, if you aren't seeing the hackles up, it more than likely is still just play.....Samson has definitely gotten more vocal since we got Angel and yes with that comes more activity...You know your dogs, watch the body language and unless it seems like it's out of control, I'd let it go....Reeko will also learn if he goes to far that Roxy will strike back, which isn't a bad thing, pups need ot learn that...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I worry about the same thing with my two.  Kane was always very submissive with Sophie and basically let her do anything she wanted to do.  Now that she is growing up, their play sounds more like a major dog fight than two best friends playing.  But the one thing I notice is that the hackles never go up on either one of them, even though their is alot of growling, one or both will lay on the ground - belly up- in what appears to be a very submissive position.  I've only recently seen Kane snap at her and it was over a toy.  I immediately took it away from both of them until they calmed down.  It's hard to know what to do thought - with all the noise they make rolling around the floor like they want to kill each other.  Even when I break up their play and move them to their own corners (so to speak), they both run right back to each other and start right back up where they left off.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesnt seem too violent although I KNOW it isnt play. His hackles rarely come up. This is the scenario:

They are both on the bed playing, then Reeko quites and goes and lays down then Roxy(being a girl lmao) goes for more, barking, biting, growling, pawing and then Reeko gives his ugly face and she keeps at it soooo he lunges at her "mouthing". Nobody has gotten hurt yet and after a few times she gets the hint and stops.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's funny, you would think it would be the other way around, but it sounds like Reeko is holding his own and Roxy is starting to learn as well. Keep in mind, she's used to being "top dog & only dog", this is new for her as well....I think the reason we didn't have that many issues with Samson, he is just so darn laid back, nothing phases him, just give him his food, scratches on the belly, etc and he's fine  :) Yea, them girls always have to have the last word....I used to see Tia harrass the crap out of Buck, he would tell her to "knock it off", that would last for like 5 minutes and there she goes again.....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LMAO Willow. Roxy is such a loud mouth! She def has to have the last word. Im thinking hes just trying to tell her to knock it off and hes sick of it lmao. She doesnt get it though;) Reeko is soooo laid back to but Im sure he gets tired of being slapped in the face, humped, barked at, mouthed, jumped on, growled at lmao Im sure you get the point! Ill keep an eye on them and just let them sort it out themselves lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's better in the long run if they can sort it out themsleves, providing it doesn't start getting ugly....Sounds like you have the opposite pairing as me, except Angel is actually a bit intimidated by Samson, which isn't a bad thing.... :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think females are bit more stubborn then males, at least with the ones I have met.

My sisters golden will only take so much from Kiah and then will let her know she has had enough.  Took Kiah awhile to figure out she really meant it but she did; then Libby would get the sad staring face from Kiah; it was so funny.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
my 2 switch off doing this to eachother its odd...some days its onyx telling isis to cut it out and leave him alone and other days its isis telling him..they play HARD like 2 boxers....grabbing legs, rolling around, LOUD LOUD conversations haha...

here the weird thing...Isis is submissive for the most part and whenever they play her hair is all up from head to tail...always been that way...and theres never been an aggressive moment or fight between them in 2 yrs...they eat,snack,play & sleep.. side by side..
but when they play here hair stands straight up ....funny !

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ky Rxy is like that too! He hackles are up ALL the time. While shes playing, walking up the road, when I come in the huse they are up with her nub waggin 100mph Oh wait.....correction.........her whole butt waggin 100mph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts