Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I picked up our new little bundle of joy in Oklahoma Tuesday morning and headed back to Colorado.   The drive there had taken us 11-1/2 hours and we fully expected the drive back to be longer by at least an hour, probably more, owing to potty stops, food and watering stops, and just plain puppy-isn't-havin'-any-fun-in-the-car stops.  Wow, were we wrong!  We made our first stop about an hour into the trip.  He didn't pee.  He didn't drink.  He didn't frolic.  He didn't seem to know WHAT the heck to do.  We stopped again an hour or so after that with the same results.   Long story short, he pretty much slept through the whole trip (in our laps for most of it, in the back seat alone for two or three hours) and we made it home in exactly the time it took to get there.

Once home, we set down a bowl of water and some food, but he still had no interest.  I was a little concerned, as he'd had nothing to eat or drink for over 12 hours, but chalked it up to new-home/new environment nerves.  He peed on the kitchen floor and I took that opportunity to explain to my daughter (his main "mommy"), in great detail, exactly how a dog sniffs and circles before he pees and how it differs from mere curiousity or exploratory sniffing.  Since then, NO ACCIDENTS!  Not only that, he actually made a tiny little whine at the back door tonight to be let out after he ate... and he PEED!  This is the smartest dog in the universe.  (I will brook NO arguments!)

We have a crate ordered from PetSmart, but it hasn't arrived yet.  We made up a makeshift crate using our laundry basket turned upside down on top of a piece of panelling and secured with bungee cord.  He didn't make a single peep when we put him in it at bedtimelast night.  He woke my daughter up at 4 a.m. and again at 8 a.m.  She let him out, he peed and went right back into the crate without (much) protest (i.e., she said he kinda stuck his legs out to try to stop her from putting him back in that last time, but gave in pretty quickly and settled down to sleep again forthwith).  

We spent fifty bucks or so on Kongs and Cuz's and various other toys for him.  So far he's gotten the most delight out of small twigs with leaves attached (my daughter noted that it seemed like he was trying to floss his teeth with the leaves) and a piece of concrete that chipped off of the patio.  His third favorite toy is something recommended for training recall called a "slap stick:"  A half-dozen pieces of 12" lengths of clothesline bound together with duct tape.  He loves it, but the clothesline I used has wire at the center and I'm a little concerned about him chewing down to the wire and ingesting bits of it, so I'm going to look for pure nylon clothesline to replace it.

The most endearing thing about this guy though is how completely glued to us he already is.  Unless he's out in the yard (which he really, REALLY loves so far) he is following whoever is around until they sit down, and then he parks himself at their feet and snoozes.  Early this evening, I settled into the hammock in the back yard and picked him up and got him cozy laying on top of me.  He was okay with that for a few minutes, but I noticed he kept looking at the BIG HOLES in the hammock and seemed to want down.  I set him down on the ground and he parked himself directly under me in the hammock and fell asleep.  

This guy is totally stealing my heart.

AnnA

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, you are hooked! It does not take long for these babies to get us attached...Sounds like the trip back was great, which I'm happy for. Give Atticus a few days to adjust, this is all new to him, believe me, the puppy will come out!  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations, your baby sounds wonderful.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
the sleeping thing and the rarely eating thing are totally expected.  Sounds like you have a winner there already!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Congrats on joining the wonderful world of boxers. Sounds a lot like Odin when he was a little puppy... he didn't even hit the crazy puppy personality till 13 wks old. We were like ENERGETIC???? He's certainly not that... just sweet and adorable... but it came out!! You'll only love him more and more and more... and... well you get the idea.

CONGRATS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts