Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Our little girl bailed up a guy protecting the kids

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  chiefster 
#1 ·
We took zara and the kids to the beach the other day and all was good for a while.  We set up camp in the sand towards the back of an embankment and the kids were playing in the sand.  This big beer gutted, speedo slung slob of a bloke came running along the embankment, instead of running down near the water like everyone else.  Zara sees this guy running towards the kids and totally flips out when he gets near to them.  She is going off at him in that extended bark thing they do but she is in a very submissive position, hunched right down to the ground.  She came but only after I got up and came across, I guess she didn't want to leave the kids undefended.

The guy starts going off as well and takes off his shoe, all great energy for zara.  This guy also starts yelling at us to get our dog off the beach and he's going to call the cops etc etc.  I can understand that he was pissed off but when we tried to settle him down (well actually my partner did because I was getting a tad annoyed) and explain to him why the dog behaved in that way, he wouldn't listen.  Zara was never going to bite him unless he actually touched the kids (who knows) but she was going to defend them no doubt and no matter how big the guy was.  

She is constantly exposed to strangers and new people without a problem, but can I blame her for what she did in this situation?.  It is not good that she actually bailed someone up but I am not sure if or how this could/should be corrected.  Any ideas?  This is why they get put on the dangerous dog lists but really it is good to know that she will defend the family and perhaps this is a once in a blue moon thing.  We have been making sure since that she is quick to settle when she is in house guard mode.

We saw the guy approaching the life guards so we decided to get out of there before there was a scene.

See less See more
#3 ·
Bailed up - to hold someone back.  Another example: He was BAILED UP by a couple of muggers as he came out of the bank.

The guy should have just eased away and all would be fine - she was just barking but instead all he was giving out was aggressive energy.

#4 ·
Ok thats what I figured.   In my opinion, your dog reacted PERFECTLY.  She defended the kids but was not attacking or lunging.  Most of the bully breeds were designed to do this, its just that all too often now they are taught to be overly aggressive.  I'd be very proud of Zara.  

I've found that the boxers have this exceptional ability to recognize the shady, threatening characters from the harmless.  My boy loves everybody and everyone, but when he sees a guy going by the house I myself would consider "creepy" he gets very concerned and makes a lot of noise.  I don't know how he knows but he does.  

As owners of instinctive "guard dogs" we have a responsibility to make sure they do not cross the line and hurt an innocent person, but if my dog was to bite a person who was threatening my family, I would feel no remorse.

#5 ·
I wonder if Tito would be protective. If someone comes to the door he growls a bit and stands at the door, I've never heard him bark only once when I was upstairs and he was down and heard some noises outside which I also heard (probably the neighbour smoking at the side of the house). I'm guessing they know when we know whats going on and when they need to verbally alert us, becuase if he's in my room or near me he never barks just the growl. As for actual protection so far he's been pretty friendly with everyone who comes to the door. My cousin walked right in and he saw him for the first time but just wagged his nub tail and walked back towards me. I read in a book they have the uncanny ability to tell a friend from foe even if its a stranger. I wonder if theres any truth to that. But its good your dog was protective probably felt threatened by a big fat man whose running. I've only had Tito 2.5 weeks so he probably still needs to learn and adjust.

#6 ·
i am 110% with Sully...i dont see the problem? the dog didnt lunge which still would ahve been ok with me...its a warning that he needs to back off...shes a DOG thats whhat she does,,protect her family...

warning 1...loud barking( person is approaching in a dangerous way to the dog)

warning 2..STRANGER BACK OFF YOU ARE GETTING TOO CLOSE (maybe with a lunge)( person has not stopped)

warning 3....really flipping out barking and circling and growling (person has come WAY too close ignoring warnings)

warning 4...maybe a lunge or even a snap...if a dog wants to bite they sure will...

i expect my dogs to warn strangers esp if they feel they are dangerous....there is NO law that says if your dog barked at someone even to the point of lunging IN THAT SITUATION....WITHOUT BITING..no judge would say the dog is dangerous..IMO..they guy did NOT HEED the warnings of a dog protecting its family...

i think your dog did i great job i definately would NOT have left...unless dogs arent allowed

#7 ·
My boy does not bark much either, he goes into "watch" mode but he is usually just very alert and stares out the windows.  He doesn't sound the alarm all the time.  Just from what I've seen (and read on here), males are more apt to be alert than just start barking.  Females are generally more vocal.  

I've actually been training Oggie to react when people come to the house, he seemed very passive at an early age and I've just praised him and given treats when he barks when someone comes to the house or if he hears something outside.  He may have just progressed into that as he got older anyway though.  

I am actually considering getting a female next because I would like a more vocal dog when someone comes to the house.

#8 ·
8O sully Isis's big girl bark when she wants us to knwo theres something there is unreal..sounds like shes 400 pounds lol shes definately more on guard than onyx..he barks only when he feels its really really an issue...Isis will alarm the world if someones doing something out of sorts..IE..a person in our yard or near our gate..someone stopped and standing near our front yard...anything near the house in the dark..she is way way more aware with her eyes b/c of her deafness..she patrols the windows lol...even from upstairs...

#9 ·
Ky that sounds familiar.....its funny because my friends neighbors have a white boxer female and shes a few weeks younger than Oggie, shes very small but she barks at everything and her bark is BOOMING.  Oggie just stares at her and doesn't know what to make of her.  He doesn't make a peep.  I do like that he only barks when he sees something outside he wants me to come look at, but I actually wouldn't mind more barking right away.

#10 ·
One of the reasons I choose Boxers was because of their guard tendencies.  She was very tuned into the energy that the idiot presented when entering your territory and showed great restraint when she was asked.  I say you have no problem with Zara she acted as warranted. That is why it is our job to be their guardians in the human world.

I have never had one of my dogs bite anyone over the years.  I will not say they don't efficiently guard and if someone acts unappropriately they could get bit and if I was in trouble with a psycho I have no doubt my dogs would protect me.  

Nano

#11 ·
nano\";p=\"118292 said:
One of the reasons I choose Boxers was because of their guard tendencies.
Agreed.  And theres no reason to suppress that unless they are out of control.

A well balanced boxer makes the perfect guard dog, they'll only bite as a last resort because their appearance and posture is usually enough of a deterrent.

#12 ·
My dogs also don't like people they don't know with something in their hand that could be dangerous.  Pulled off shoe, hiking stick, raised arm. all good guard dog instincts.

#14 ·
Zara behaved like she should have, she was protecting her "peeps" and did it in such a way that was basically not overly threatening or aggresive...I think she deserves an extra special treat actually...I trust my dogs instincts, there are very few people that mine have ever had issues with, but I know on one occasion, Samson really didn't like this person and kept standing in between us and pushing me further away...How can you not love a breed that guards discreetly :)

#16 ·
I think your girl did a great job! Exactly what she was supposed to do. And as a prevois poster said, I would've given her an extra special treat!    

Ace is mostly quiet. If someone comes that he is unfamilar with he never barks but checks them over real good. I used to worry that he wasn't going to be as protective as I wanted. But like someone else said I think it is a male thing. He is verrrry quietly observant. He doesn't bark if someone comes even up to our fence line. But he definelty is checking them over. And the weirdo barks if something strange blows into our backyard while he's out there  . Or if birds are irritating him  ! When he's in the house his little ears tweak if he hears an odd noise and I think I can only remember once that he barked at a noise while in the house. Overall I think he is protective, just quiet about it.

Ok---sorry to blab! I would say good girl to you baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.