Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that Atticus does that is soooooo reminiscent of both of my children when they were babies...  I canNOT leave the room!  I wait till he's SOUND asleep, then tiptoe ever-so-quietly to an adjacent room that is off-limits to him (until he's completely housebroken) and BAM! he wakes up instantly, notices I am gone and comes whining at the gate!  This reminds me so much of when my children were infants and I was trying to "wean" them into being a bit independent (i.e., can manage for a short while without mama in sight.)  Atticus is ten times as alert to my leaving the room - no matter how stealthily I try!  Ack!  What do I do?!!??!?!

AnnA

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Is the gate is separating the kitchen from the living area?  
What worked for me was talking to Henry from the other side of the gate.  I would be where he could see me and reassure him that he was just fine and momma wasn't going anywhere.  Then I'd go on about my business.  If he started whining or whatever, I'd say someting like "no cry puppies" and then ignore him.
He's almost a year old now 8O  and is doing well.  Now the only time he cries is when my son has run out the door and didn't take him with!
Hope this helps and good luck!
Zhanna

·
Registered
13 Posts
awww, I feel for you...

this is also going on in my house...Butchie has stopped the night time crying (because his sleep area is directly next to my bed) in favor of crying as soon as he cant see me.  I assume this will pass just like it does with human babies! lol

Hang in there :)

Ley xxxx

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What do you do??? Get used to it! They don't call them velcro dogs for nothing.  :p  Maddie can be in a dead sleep, and as soon as I get up, she is right there. So as far as getting Atticus to become more independent....good luck with that! They are shadow dogs, and feel they must be with their humans, always underfoot.  :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i feel for you....hubby and i got into many fights back in the day cuz i wouldnt let my babies cry it out......nowwwww we fight over me not letting the puppies cry it out too....good luck

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The crying, whining will stop as he gets a bit older, like Tootsie said boxers aren't called "velcro dogs" for nothing! If you have to leave him in a room for a bit, maybe have a Kong ready for him to give something to  do while you are out of the room. Both Samson & Angel follow me everywhere, even if I just get up off the couch, go to kitchen for something, they will get up and follow, tried telling them it wasn't necessary, but that deaf boxer ear you know...Got to see what Momma is doing!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I understand exactly, and unfortunatley have no good advice.  Lola whines when I go down the basement to do laundry, go to the bathroom, leave the house, go outside without her...and on and on!  She's fine as long as there is someone else still with her though.  I just let her whine, it sounds mean, but she stops after a few minutes and starts playing with her toys or lays down.  Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TamiNChance\";p=\"20396 said:
i feel for you....hubby and i got into many fights back in the day cuz i wouldnt let my babies cry it out......
How funny!  My husband and I didn't really fight about it, but he also thought I was ridiculous for not letting my children "cry it out" when they were babies.  I did take a hard-line on letting them cry it out at bedtime, but during the day if they cried, I picked them up.  He always insisted that the strenuous crying jags were the way they got their exercise and would just stand over them watching it!  lol, what a weirdo! ;-)

AnnA

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zhanna\";p=\"20391 said:
Is the gate is separating the kitchen from the living area?  
What worked for me was talking to Henry from the other side of the gate.  I would be where he could see me and reassure him that he was just fine and momma wasn't going anywhere.  Then I'd go on about my business.  If he started whining or whatever, I'd say someting like "no cry puppies" and then ignore him.

Zhanna
Well, I tried this tactic today, Zhanna.  OMG!  He worked himself into a complete frenzy!  The room that is off-limits to him is our library/home office which is directly off the family room/kitchen and is barricaded by means of a wrought-iron folding screen.  He started by jumping on it, then when it was obvious that wasn't going to work he worked his head underneath it (which took some doing!) and stretched his legs as far into the room as he could and whined and screeched and howled and carried on so loudly that if anyone had been walking by the house they probably would have called the Humane Society to report me for beating him!  I finally couldn't bear it and got down to try to talk to him and calm him without actually opening the screen but he wasn't having any of it.

Guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with it!

AnnA

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is sooo funny!!  Boxers are like babies...it is weird!  I was just telling my friend today how my 7 week old boxer boy reminds me of a baby!  He loves to be held on his back like a baby does....he does these cute little yawns when he is half asleep....so cute like babies do!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
When i put mine to sleep at night in their crates(which are in my room) the only way i can get Chance to go to sleep is if my hand is in his crate til he falls asleep. He is the biggest baby of all

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
AnnA -

Hmmm . . . . maybe he has some separation issues.  This is the point where I would ask Liz, cause I just donn't know.

Z

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i honestly have no good advice that hasnt already been given. I agree though that it may be seperation issues. how old is atticus again?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts