Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

New forum member and soon-to-be first-time boxer owner. Truth be told, I've been a cat owner my entire life and I've always took the cat owner side in any 'cat vs. dog' arguments. But, all that is about to change as of this Friday (12/9/16), when our family will happily join the ranks of boxer owners. Yay! :)

We considered a couple different larger dog breeds, as I've always said that if we ever get a dog, it needs to be a 'DOG,' not a 'dog.' I spent a good amount of time over the past few weeks reading, researching and talking to people until I narrowed our choice down to the boxer breed. Next, we spent time looking around and went to meet one puppy before deciding on a different breeder that we were comfortable with.

Here's our girl, who will be just under 10 weeks old when we pick her up. We still haven't decided for sure on her name yet, as we are debating between two options.

From what I can tell, it sounds like we've made a great choice on the breed. Since making our decision, we've talked with many people we know (friends, co-workers, etc.) who either had or currently have one or more boxers and say that they are the best. I'm sure I won't get any disagreement here on this site. :)

I've been reading through many of the threads in this forum over the past few days and it looks like there's lots of good advice. But, I'd love to hear more, especially for first time boxer puppy owners. So, if you had just one piece of advice to offer, either about training, toys, food, or anything else, what would it be?

First, a little about her and us:

She comes from a breeder who has been carefully and selectively breeding boxers for over 20 years. So, we're fairly confident that any genetic concerns have been minimized as much as possible. She has already been seen by the breeder's vet and checked out fine, but we'll also be taking her to our own vet next week (also a contractual requirement by breeder). For the record, we do not intend to breed her.

We intend to crate train her. We have a two story home with a finished basement. The main living level, where her crate will be, has mostly all hardwood floors. We are borrowing a small crate from another friend whose dog has outgrown it and we've purchased all of the other key essentials except for food, which we'll pick up later this week. The breeder is providing us with a small quantity of food that the puppies are currently eating.

We currently have two adult cats, a 10-year old, 16 lb Maine Coon (long hair) female, and a 7-year old medium-haired tabby male. In the house along with my wife and I are our 15-year old son. We also have an 18-year old daughter who is away at college. So, no small kids, but plenty of love to go around.

Thanks in advance for any advice you offer. It is appreciated!

Calvin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My one piece of advice would be pet insurance. As this breed unfortunately can be high with medical issues later and early in life..

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new baby ! I too was a cat person, I can now say I'm a boxer person... boxers are more like tiny humans and less like dogs. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My one piece of advice would be pet insurance. As this breed unfortunately can be high with medical issues later and early in life..
Wow, thanks for that bit of advice, as it had never even crossed my mind. To be honest, I didn't even realize there was such a thing. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Very sweet puppy! When you pick her up you might bring some of her bedding so that the other puppies can lay on it. We put a crate in our bedroom for the first month, and there was lots of crying in the night. They miss their sibs. We just took the puppy outside every couple hours, and when he cried we just said "quiet", and didn't make a big deal out of it. We didn't use a harsh tone, or open up the crate. After a few days the crying stopped. Ask your breeder what they did about crate training. You'll have a few sleepless nights.

·
Registered
240 Posts
When potty training take her on a leash to the same spot every time and say the same thing, for us it was "go pee". Take her out often, even if she doesn't appear she needs to go. Willow was pretty much potty trained (although not trustworthy) at 10 weeks because we took her out so often.

Ice cubes when they're teething are awesome (and free)!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congratulations! How excited you must be and he's so cute. I recently got my boxer Sammy and i can't keep calm even when sometimes it pees in the house and i get mad. Patience and love is what is needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
:clap: Congratulations! Seems you took your time in making all these decisions and to say the truth you are doing way better than i did hehe! Crate training is very important as it helps in dealing with issues like separation anxiety and dealing with other behavior problems you may have. Hope you got appropriate toys, leashes, beds etc. Day at a time. You are doing well.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Welcome and thnx for the egghead pic,I`d prefer picS though but we`ll give you a pass until you actually get the pup :)

My advice,consider raw feeding...guaranteed in thelong run that disease,skin problems and whatnots will be greatly reduced if not eliminated

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats! Very cute baby! Hopefully the last few days have gone well.

Constancy in training, from all family members; and remember this little lap dog will grow to be a big lap dog. Don't let her do anything now you wouldn't want a grown dog to do.

Our boxers turned 3 in October (time goes too fast) and to this day they are lap dogs- we are OK with it, we love our big babies; some people may not want to be part of the pack like we do....

(that's more than one item, and a key note too for this wonderfully stubborn breed- if you make anything fun/ game-like - you will get better compliance)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chew toys

Deer antlers are the absolute best and really good for them. No rawhide....its junk! Oh...and don't let them jump when they are puppies. They can clear a 6 foot fence when they get older:) If they don't know that they can jump within the 1st year or so....non-issue. She is a total cutie!! You made the right choice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts