Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I want to introduce our new puppy Messi. They gave him to us when he was only 29 days! and by that time we didn't know how bad this was for him!!!! Fortunately his healthy, very happy and growing fast! Anyway I have a question: he is 50 days now and he weights only around 7 lb. Since I've been compareing him with other puppy boxers from this forum I find him a little bit small. Do you think this is because he was separated from his mother too soon? or he is only just a smaller dog? Is he going  to be as big as he is supose to be?Here is the link to his album. Hope to here from you soon! Maria
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/56 ... good-times

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Aw, bless him!  He's so cute!  Why did they give him to you so young?  I think 7 pounds may be on the small side, but if he's healthy then I guess it's OK.

Welcome to the forums! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Zhanna for your answer! I think they give him to us so soon because the owner of his mother was very ignorant (like us) or I guess cause he didn't want to pay for vaccionations and to get rid out of the puppies as soon as possible ...really bad!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Really cute baby- welcome!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Welcome....he is very cute!!!!  There are many breeders (or I should say people who's dog had puppies) who let the pups go to soon....For many reasons and one is the one you mentioned, because they dont want to invest any money into them...But, regardless you have your pup and he is healthy and that is all that matters.....

It sounds like seven pounds is kind of small, so it is possible he may be a smaller guy, but one thing is for sure,  you can't compare yours to body size of any here, because they are all very different :)  His gene's will help to determine his size and he is only 51 days old so he has a ton of growing to do...he may suprise you and have a growth spurt and catch up really fast!!!!!

Welcome again!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum....I agree with what Sharon said.....Every Boxer is unique, to compare one to another will serve no purpose....Other than drive you crazy......If your baby is healthy, that's the key....Yes, the pups were separated from their mother too soon, but it's done, so now your job is to give that little cutie the best life you can.....

We have a ton of very good information on here, take the time to read thru it, but by all means ask any questions you need to as well....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum!  :D Messi is a cute guy!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You may want to look into the things that mothers teach their pups between birth and 8 weeks. They learn how to interact with other dogs, bite inhibition and just general manners from them.

Good luck with your baby, and have fun!

·
Registered
839 Posts
He is sooooo sweet!! I agree with what Sharon and Willow said. You can't compare your baby's size to any other puppy. He will probably suprise you. Our breeder told us that Boxers really don't start filling out until they are about 2 years old, before that, they go thru a series of growth spurts!! So enjoy the time when he's little, because it won't last long, then he'll be big. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good info here. And a lot of good people!

·
Registered
462 Posts
How cute. Gunner was a little guy when we got him now he is a MONSTER!. Good luck with the new baby..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Messi is so cute.  I agree with everyone else, as long as Messi is healthy then it doesn't matter on the size.  Do you have any idea on how big the parents were?

G

·
0 Posts
We got Jetta at 6 weeks exactly..she was 5.5lbs at the time...at 51 days she was only 6.5 lbs...and at that point she was a little skinny..she should have been around 7.25 to be ideal...so it sounds like he is doing good

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome to the site!  Not sure on weight, only thing I can reference is Charlie weighed 11 1/2lbs. at 9 weeks, Sadie was 11lbs. @ 9weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for all the answers they were all really helpful!  I love this forum!!! I'm learning a lot.
By the way, someone asked me why we named him Messi. My husband loves soccer and Leo Messi is one of the best players nowadays.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts