Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new puppy is home, we picked him up late this afternoon...  He came from a wonderful breeder in Connecticut just about 1 1/2 hrs away.  I would highly recommend her.  P.S.  She has an adorable brindle male left!

We are not sure what we are naming him yet but we are leaning to "Tonka".  The kids like that name  :D
He was conked out from the ride home and a little playtime and took a long nap!   These are the first pictures we took of him.  

Right now he is awake and eating and getting a second wind, so I will take more pictures in a bit!

The bottom two pictures are his 5 week old puppy picture and the dam.  She was even more beautiful in person!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
OMG, it's Angel as a puppy!! He is adorable, I love him....Congrats to all of you...Waiting on a name now  :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
He is beautiful.  I wonder how many kisses are going to end up on that precious little white streak between his eyes????
Love the name "tonka"

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congatulations, puppy and momma are beautiful.  Love the name Tonka.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all!  

I have a few questions.  He slept pretty good in his kennel last night, but around 2 am woke up and was crying.

I brought him outside, he peed and I put him back in the kennel.  He continued crying, so after a little while, I lay down on the couch with him and we fell asleep.  

Am I creating a bad habit?  Should I let him cry in the kennel?  I felt bad because he must be a little scared and lonely for his siblings.  But I don't want to create something that will be hard to change later on...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
do you have a hot water bottle you could wrap in a towel and put in the kennel with him? i heard this works and i believe a few other people here have tried it. You want to refrainfrom taking him out of the kennel if he is crying because he will associate the crying with getting out of the kennel. since he just came home it probably isnt too big a deal, but make sure you be strong from here on out :) its hard, but well worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We brought Logan home a little over a week ago and he is doing great in his crate. I would stick with keeping him in it. He did great from the start only cried for about 30 seconds at the most. Can he see you while in the crate? That is very important. My husband and I have been bringing the crate in our room at night and then in the morning bringing it back out to the living room. They say it is best if he feels that he is still a part of the family and can see us while in the crate. Before the first night as soon as he fell asleep I picked him up and put him in his bed inside the crate so he immediatley associated it as a "safe" comfortable place to sleep. Try that if you haven't already. it's important that they sleep in the crate not only at night but at nap times too.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Your new puppy is absolutely beautiful and so healthy looking.  What a sweet boy!  Tonka a great name and he kinda fits it already!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd definitely keep him crated at nite, if he cries, let him..I know that sounds cruel and also hard on the ears, but he'll learn quickly that if he cries, you will let him out..Not a good thing....The hot water bottle works well, also a ticking clock...You can also take a blanket to cover the sides of the crate to make it more of a nest for him at nite...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Congratulations on getting your new pup! I love the name Tonka! Soo cute...
Sadie is about 9 weeks and we do what Samsonsmom and southerngirls recommended and have a hot water bottle in her crate. Also, a shirt or something that either my hubby or I have been wearing works to comfort her as well. We also have a blanket over her crate for comfort. As far as crying goes Sadie cries twice a night when she needs to pee, so we take her out and then straight back into her crate. She does cry a bit when she goes back in the crate but I find if we sing to her a bit (weird I know lol) it actually works. Also we may just put a hand in her crate letting her know that we are right there. She usually calms down and goes straight back to sleep. I would recommend like Logan said, to keep his crate in your room or close by.

We have sort of found there's a difference in her crying when she wants attention and when she needs to pee. Puppies bladders are really small so they can only hold it for about 3 1/2hrs. You will find once you've had "Tonka" for a while what works best for him. Good luck! He is absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
How cute is he?  :D  Too cute! Momma is gorgeous. Congratulations on your new addition.
I would follow the advice that everyone has given. It will be hard to ignore the cries and whines, but he will learn to love the crate and treat it as his safe place in no time. Congrats again, can't wait for mire pics.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
holy cow the mom is gorgeous!!

Man every time I see a puppy pic I want another one. I just asked my husband again today..but he said he doesn't get enough of the bed as it is. lol Oh well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts